Slide off the rails

mirdreams

Reaction score
My husband and I bought Droids about six weeks ago. We loved them, thought they were very solidly built and generally were raving about them to everyone.

This past weekend I was out of town at a conference when I noticed my phone seemed to be sticking on something when I tried to slide it in or out. It wasn't consistent, more intermittent but sometimes it would slide easily on only one side. I noticed that the sticker on the back of the upper section (which I had left on because it wasn't clear that it could be cleanly removed, it seemed to extend under the screen and the Verizon rep who put my screen protector and case on when we bought the phone had left it on) had become somewhat torn and was sticking. I removed it but the damage had already been done and the tracks were no longer sliding smoothly. I decided to take it to the Verizon store when I got home. The day after I got home I used the physical to keyboard to type something, slide the phone closed, and it came right off the rails!! The phone still worked but was now in two pieces, tethered together only by the data connector.

I immediately took it to the Verizon store in our local mall, assuming that since it was it was only six weeks old and the damage had come from normal usage (ie sliding the phone open and closed as it was designed to do) it would naturally be covered under the manufacturer's warranty. Not so. Apparently because the phone was in two pieces it was "physical damage" and my only option was to file an insurance claim.

I felt this was ridiculous and decided to get a second opinion. I snapped the phone back together on one rail, went to another Verizon store and showed the tech how loose it was on the other rail. He said that it was a known issue and that Verizon would send me a new phone but that I had to call customer support to have it sent. I called them, they said that the first store had flagged my phone as having physical damage and that I would have to file an insurance claim (and pay the deductible) to get a new phone.

I went back to the first Verizon store where I dealt with a tech who was more sympathetic than the first one I dealt with but still said it was physical damage. I called Motorola and they said that if I sent it in without saying why they might take pity on me and waive the $75 repair fee or they might call and require a credit card to proceed.

I was so sick of all of them and unwilling to go without my phone for who knows how long in hopes that they would fix a know issue on a six week old phone that I have filed the insurance claim. If I had gone in when my slider was only sticking I believe I would have gotten a new phone without issue so please, if you phone's slider is sticking or is loose, learn from my mistake and go to Verizon immediately.

Please also be aware that Motorola does not stand behind their products and that if you have device with an issue they won't do anything about it until it reaches the point where we could all have a good class action suit. I will be leaving for AT&T as soon as my contract is up and I will no longer be buying anything from Motorola. I believe, based on the phoneWreck teardown of the Droid that it would take someone T6 screwdriver about 15-20 minutes (or less) to carefully disassemble my phone, pop the rails back on and close it up. I'm sure that's exactly what Asurion will do and our little exchange will have netted them my deductible for next to nothing, since they'll have another refurbished phone to send out to the next person this happens to. For the cost of a tech's time to do that Verizon and Motorola have both lost my business for life.

doublejack

Reaction score
This is clearly a case of an abused phone, not a defective product. Why should Motorola have to pay for the foolish actions of end users? You admit that sticker residue got in the tracks. Please learn from your mistake. Calling this a "know (sic) issue" is wrong. If you had removed the sticker from the start, you wouldn't have a broken phone.

Sorry, you'll get no sympathy from me. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore.... it's always someone else's fault.

Also, since you're so convinced that the repair is easy, why not try it yourself?

koralyne

Reaction score
Now, i didnt read the manual thoroughly, but does it say to take the clear sticker off the back of the droid?

doublejack

Reaction score
Now, i didnt read the manual thoroughly, but does it say to take the clear sticker off the back of the droid?

I'm not sure if it is in the manual... but the sticker in question has a pull tab to remove it. Really, how obvious does it have to be before common sense kicks in?

koralyne

Reaction score
Mine didnt have a pull tab on it, plus it was difficult to remove, like it wasnt supposed to be removed. There was resistance, like it didnt want to come off, unlike the ones on the front of the phone which seemed to be held on by nothing more than static.

doublejack

Reaction score
Mine had a tab on one side which I assumed was for removal. It didn't come off as easily as the front screen protector, but it did come off without much difficulty or leaving any residue.

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well I don't know why you had such a bad experience. But saying Moto doesn't stand behind their product unless it could be a CALS is a bit of a stretch. I am on my third(yes, 3) moto droid. I got the first on launch day. In about 3 weeks of use it ended up with a dead pixel. I called Vzon support, explained it had a dead pixel. I explained I know it usually takes a few to warrant a return and asked if they had any guidelines for this yet. The guy said no, they will return it no problem and send another droid.

The second one after about a month broke. The power button on the top seemed to break. It no longer had that click feeling and was soft and spongy. I had to slide the keyboard to get the screen on. Called, replaced with no problems.

So I am on my third. I have dropped this one a number of times and haven't had it break at all. To me, this sounds like a phone that was broken ins ome way, and the first Vzon guy who saw it pegged it correctly.

warrior21

Reaction score
Verizon should have replaced the phone for you from the beginning because that not removing the film on the back wouldn't cause the phone to come apart. That topic has been discussed to death and I personally spoke to a few different employees about it before I removed mine and couldn't get a straight answer from any of them. I've seen threads on here with guys selling aftermarket ones to dress up the back of the phone. It sounds like you had a bad experience but it's not that motorola doesn't back their phones.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
What you did was not abuse in any manner. It is not obvious that that protector should be removed. It is obvious that the one on the screen itself is to be removed. Relatively few people with Droids have removed that protector on the back of the screen. There were even argumants on this forum months ago about whether it should be removed or not.

Not removing it was not an end user foolish act. Pretending to be some mister know it all is much more foolish. In my opinion, Verizon/Motorola should honor the warranty repair. If it is so important to remove that protector then they should clearly say so. The second store deemed it to be a product defect and that is what it is. You could likely win a small claims suit, although it would probably be more trouble than it is worth. Verizon/Motorola simply found a way to screw the consumer.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
Mine didnt have a pull tab on it, plus it was difficult to remove, like it wasnt supposed to be removed. There was resistance, like it didnt want to come off, unlike the ones on the front of the phone which seemed to be held on by nothing more than static.

Same with mine. I thought about it for a while before I decided to remove it.

ricks

Reaction score
I would bring the phone to a corporate owned store and make them give you another one. Stay away from mall stores, they are no fn good. What you might also try is to call Verizon and plead your situation. When you get the right person you will get a free replacement.

Reaction score
Yes, always deal with corporate stores. Also, unfortunately, there are douche bags who ruin things for the rest of us, so they probably just said physical damage because they've run into an obvious case before you. When I was a salesman, I saw a couple of phone you could tell were owner damaged. One was a Razr with a clear thumb shaped damage on the inside screen where the girl had pressed down on it. Another was where someone wasn't careful and broke the inside of the charge port clean off. It sounds like the OP had a true manufactures defect that should have been fixed for free. However don't put Verizon or Motorola down because of some douche at a privately owned mall store. They do not work for Verizon directly and are only there to make money.

wil318466

Reaction score
This is clearly a case of an abused phone, not a defective product. Why should Motorola have to pay for the foolish actions of end users? You admit that sticker residue got in the tracks. Please learn from your mistake. Calling this a "know (sic) issue" is wrong. If you had removed the sticker from the start, you wouldn't have a broken phone.

Sorry, you'll get no sympathy from me. Nobody wants to take responsibility for their own actions anymore.... it's always someone else's fault.

Also, since you're so convinced that the repair is easy, why not try it yourself?

Whats wrong with you? You are completely and totally wrong here.

There was no abuse. The phone should NOT come off the rails, and Verizon should be replacing the phone. Period.

ricks

Reaction score
If the plastic film on the back of the screen was the cause of the issue they should replace it.