Android sales numbers vs IPhone sales numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

amn70

Reaction score
I've been trying to get handle on some real Android activation figures by the 4 major US carriers and I mean all Android phones activated by all the current US carriers in 2010. This stuff I read about Verizons Droid sales being down considerably makes me wonder some of the reasons. Apple fanboys constantly claim Iphones sell more. Until now there was one carrier and only one Iphone model released a year so users had one source for the phones. If you take the combined activations across all US carriers of Android handsets for 2010 and compare them with the combined Iphone handset activations with ATT, which one comes out on top? That would be real numbers.

Apple had one source for their phones until this year. Android had many so its unfair for Apple fans to claim Android sold less than Iphone simply comparing with only Verizon activation figures.

Also since, in the case of Verizons models most who bought the original Droid in 09 were still locked into 2 year plans and thus many are still riding out their plans. I bet once the fall comes around well see a spike in sales as D1 users upgrade. Those who dove into DX's and DI's and D2's in the middle part of 2010 still have about a year and half before they are eligible for upgrades. And I am not even mentioning the Samsung, LG and lowline Moto android handset activations.

Many ATT users adopt the new model Iphones each year as they come out and I think tend to take 1 year plans more often so they upgrade more frequently. So each year around the same time as the a new Iphone is released Iphone sales jump. Thats the advantage of having only one model and one carrier.

What do ya all think?

Gritwater

Reaction score
I think unless you own majority stock in android....this really doesn't matter a whole helluvalot

Peoples need to be apart of number 1 is making you waste valuable time trying to prove that you made the right decision in other peoples eyes.

Do you like droid.... that's all you need to worry about...not weather or not people agree with your decision

Sent from my Droid 2 while driving. Thankyou Tapatalk

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apple had one source for their phones until this year. Android had many so its unfair for Apple fans to claim Android sold less than Iphone simply comparing with only Verizon activation figures.
Depends on the scope of the discussion. There's certainly merit in discussing which smartphone on Verizon is most popular.

Also since, in the case of Verizons models most who bought the original Droid in 09 were still locked into 2 year plans and thus many are still riding out their plans.
Doesn't really matter. Those people were prevented from purchasing iPhones as well so they don't count either way. For any point in time there are always people stuck under contract so it's irrrelevant, really.

I think unless you own majority stock in android....this really doesn't matter a whole helluvalot

Peoples need to be apart of number 1 is making you waste valuable time trying to prove that you made the right decision in other peoples eyes.
I'd agree with this. I don't understand the device pissing matches. What product you bought (and not just smartphones) doesn't prove a thing. Buy what suits you. Stop worrying about what others are buying unless you're just trying to fit in the popular crowd.

sc4fpse

Reaction score

I'd agree with this. I don't understand the device pissing matches. What product you bought (and not just smartphones) doesn't prove a thing. Buy what suits you. Stop worrying about what others are buying unless you're just trying to fit in the popular crowd.

When numerous developers develop for a certain platform because of its popularity and the number of users (or rather potential customers), then it's a pretty big deal to people, even if they don't have any financial interest in the particular OS.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

When numerous developers develop for a certain platform because of its popularity and the number of users (or rather potential customers), then it's a pretty big deal to people, even if they don't have any financial interest in the particular OS.

Yeah, and in this case, ios wins hands down. Developers have a real way to earn great revenue, be seen and attract the greatest number of paying users through the app store.

However, I think it's just a useless argument overall. The real numbers will happen at the end of the year when we compare verizon iphone to verizon droid.

As a side note, the iPhone outsells every android phone combined on AT&T by a huge margin, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I think those numbers speak for themselves. People want choice, sure, but they also want a phone that works without having to tweak and root and over clock.

Android will retain its global marketshare because it's cheaper, it's more available, and there are 70+ devices to choose from (and more released every 3-6 months, as your 6 month old phone goes EOL haha), but it's US share is going to take a hit by year's end.

androidforlife

Reaction score
As a side note, the iPhone outsells every android phone combined on AT&T by a huge margin, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Might want to double check your facts.. in 2010 over 67 million android based phones were sold and only 46+ million iphones were sold.

android is kicking iphone's butt!!!

just google it LOL

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As a side note, the iPhone outsells every android phone combined on AT&T by a huge margin, and that's not going to change anytime soon.

Might want to double check your facts.. in 2010 over 67 million android based phones were sold and only 46+ million iphones were sold.

android is kicking iphone's butt!!!

just google it LOL

I've bolded the relevant part above :)

BodyBagz

Reaction score
You know, often I am reminded of a little commercial/public service announcement that used to come on after school on TV...and seems maybe it needs to comeback...

[video=youtube;XIKiFB3xzEQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIKiFB3xzEQ"]RIF = Reading Is Fundamental[/video].....:rofl3::rofl3:

patfactorx

Reaction score
360k android devices a day vs 200k iOS devices,

Google those figures they are the latest

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
360k android devices a day vs 200k iOS devices,

Google those figures they are the latest

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

I don't know if this was for me, but I'll say it again. In my post, which was quoted above, I was referring to android on AT&T vs iphone on AT&T.

You can google those figures if you'd like.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Another android v ios thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.