iPhone 4s DOA? Full speed ahead for Android?

Vakharn

Reaction score
Well I just got done listening to live commentary on the iPhone event, and the big news was an iPhone 4s with a dual core 1ghz A5 chip, one gig of ram, 8MP camera recording 1080p, and the same display as the iPhone 4. So essentially it will be completelly eclipsed by the Vigor, Prime, and probably the Droid HD as well. Anyone who cares more about their phone's proformance than whether it's an iPhone no longer has any reason to stay with Apple. They are completely outclassed on the hardware front by this generation of Android devices, and when quad cores start showing up in Q1 next year the iPhone 4S will look like a bad joke.

So, how badly do people see this hurting apple's sale numbers? Afterall the simple fact that it's a new iPhone can only take them so far for so long. Eventally people will realize that Android phones are just downright better.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The lack of 4G is a deal breaker.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
You hit the nail on the head. As of right now, a person would just have to be in love with the Apple ecosystem and software to run to the store for an iphone. Right now the iP4S hardware has just caught up to the top tier Android phones. Some people will argue that the iP4S has slightly better hardware. There is a wee bit of room for debate but it doesn't matter because there are Android phones hitting the shelves in 14-30 days that will blow the doors off of the iP4S specs. Spec for spec the iP4S is 2 weeks from being old tech!

On top of that ICS is getting released.

Last edited:

DC 1127

Reaction score
I think that apple releasing one or two new phones every year is going to be their downfall considering that we see new and improved android hardware every 1 to 2 months with the latest technology and that rate is increasing.

Liberated D2

jcardona1

Reaction score
The 4S won't be DOA. Anything Apple releases won't be DOA, ever. They have their loyal base of fans that will never look at a non-Apple device, even if it's much better. You're fooling yourself if you keep thinking Apple is a sinking ship.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head. As of right now, a person would just have to be in love with the Apple ecosystem and software to run to the store for an iphone. Right now the iP4S hardware has just caught up to the top tier Android phones. Some people will argue that the iP4S has slightly better hardware. There is a wee bit of room for debate but it doesn't matter because there are Android phones hitting the shelves in 14-30 days that will blow the doors off of the iP4S specs. Spec for spec the iP4S is 2 weeks from being old tech!

Haha no one knows what ics is so I doubt that'll be a deciding factor

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score

every phone ever released is 2-4 weeks away from being old tech in today's world. That doesn't just apply to the iPhone.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It seems other then an initial release, Apple is always very slow to roll out changes. Brand new iMacs, still no Blu-Ray support! I think the biggest disappointment was the lack of a new name and new look. Now is definitely a good time for Samsung to roll out the Prime!

OneTenderRebel

Silver Member
Reaction score
yeah, I think the new hardware is a nice upgrade for the phone and some of the new features, which arguably should have already been there, are cool but I am still holding out for the Prime. The thing with these phones is that they get so freakin hyped that they will NEVER live up to the expectations of the enthusiasts. Instead of calling it the iPhone5 and calling it the 4s people are ready to burn Apple to the ground. It's just a name!

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
every phone ever released is 2-4 weeks away from being old tech in today's world. That doesn't just apply to the iPhone.

Most top shelf Android phones stay on top until at least the following quarter. Look at the SGSII, it's been out for months now and it's still drool-worthy. Here's what the problem is for the iP4S... every iPhone at the time of release was considered to have hardware that exceeded it's competition. The hardware stayed competitive with newer phones for quite a while after it's release. Judging the phone they released today, that's just not the case. It's behind the curve right out of the gate, and that's not a position the iPhone is usually in. The iPhone users have been asking for, at the very least, a 4" screen for over a year now and they didn't even get that.

Last edited:

Chizzele

Team Sourcery
Developer
Reaction score
Website
teamsourcery.com
No 4G was shooting themselves in the foot, they barely renewed anything with this phone, for the average non tech savvy person the hardware upgrades mean nothing, 4G would of been a good enough reason to upgrade but not even that... i think that Apple would need the iPhone 5 to come pretty quick to compensate for this. Apparently they focused more on Patent wars and not on development..

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most top shelf Android phones stay on top until at least the following quarter. Look at the SGSII, it's been out for months now and it's still drool-worthy. Here's what the problem is for the iP4S... every iPhone at the time of release was considered to have hardware that exceeded it's competition. The hardware stayed competitive with newer phones for quite a while after it's release. Judging the phone they released today, that's just not the case. It's behind the curve right out of the gate, and that's not a position the iPhone is usually in.

Well the iphone4 has been on top for a year and a half, the 3gs for two years... I don't think ppl care about specs as much as the ppl here like to think. To us these features are mind blowing.. apple will have no problem moving the 4s regardless of its "outdated" specs.. Unfortunately some here will attribute that to multi millions of brainwashed fanatics

jayman350

Reaction score
the problem is for the uninformed masses. I was talking to a guy last week about my Bionic and how ridiculous 4G is compared to 3G, he then says "well Apple is releasing a 5G phone soon". I had to delicately explain to him that Apple is releasing an iphone5 (which we now know is not the case) NOT a 5G phone. I then explained that the iphone5 (4S) is not expected to have 4G either. He was less than pleased to hear this news, even though he clearly knew nothing about the subject.

Specs mean nothing to a majority of people, they just want the next shiny device that apple puts out there, regardless of specs or competition. But hey, to each his own.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
My brother is an iphone fan and he even had to admit how disappointed he was. But maybe the 4gs will be enough of a speed improvement like the 3gs was over the 3g. Plus like I told him, ios is a light operating system. So dual core for us allows android to work with little to no lag. Dual core on ios should fly. And also ios do not have to worry about flash content or anything slowing down the browser so hsp+ (or ATT 3.5g) will be like 4g to them. So it may not have a lot of bells and whistle but remember ios dont need as much to make it run. Lets be honest our lte devices with dual core is just catching up or slightly beating the ios browser because we do have all the extra features (which I prefer) slowing down our browser.

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
Well the iphone4 has been on top for a year and a half, the 3gs for two years... I don't think ppl care about specs as much as the ppl here like to think. To us these features are mind blowing.. apple will have no problem moving the 4s regardless of its "outdated" specs.. Unfortunately some here will attribute that to multi millions of brainwashed fanatics

As far as specs go the iPhone4 was passed by competing phones months ago. I want to see what magic tricks Apple pulls off to get VZWs CDMA network to pull off the DL/UL numbers they spouted today. On top of that the size of the screen is pretty measly too. Those are two obvious things that even a non tech savvy user would notice.

Like I said in mt first post, you'd have to be in love with the software and user environment, because the hardware isn't raising any eyebrows. And yes, I agree--they will sleep in the sewers by the thousands to buy the iP4S by the boatload.