iPhone 4s DOA? Full speed ahead for Android?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
As far as specs go the iPhone4 was passed by competing phones months ago. I want to see what magic tricks Apple pulls off to get VZWs CDMA network to pull off the DL/UL numbers they spouted today. On top of that the size of the screen is pretty measly too. Those are two obvious things that even a non tech savvy user would notice.

Like I said in mt first post, you'd have to be in love with the software and user environment, because the hardware isn't raising any eyebrows. And yes, I agree--they will sleep in the sewers by the thousands to buy the iP4S by the boatload.

Oh yeah absolutely... spec wise android wins, but it's not specs that sell phones. If it were every android phone in the last year would have given iphone serious competition. It's the same thing with android phones too... it's not specs that make ppl buy them. If it were they wouldn't all have to be referred to as "iphone killers", they would be iphone killers by default.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am going to predict apple will do like the 3gs, when it first was announced people was like there is no striking difference between that and the 3g. And the 3g has been apples best phone hands down. I think apple will make enough software changes to the device to make a big difference. Remember that apple seems to find away to get the most out of their devices. With that said I still prefer the nexus prime but ios will not be a disappointment I assure you. So people hesitating on gettin it for their loved ones I suggest jump on it. Because apple's rep appears to be they release a new design with bugs then the second version (the s versions) allows them to make improvements. So the iphone 5 will be buggy like the 4 but the 5s will be great.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
No iphone 5 and no 4g. Apple really screwed themselves over this time.

Looking forward to seeing more people hop onto android:icon_ banana:

4S was their big news, LOL!

gatecitycanes

Reaction score
I was holding out on pulling the trigger on a Bionic until Apple's announcement. No 4G and the same 3.5 inch screen are both non-starters. I can't believe they didn't do either.

pawdog

Reaction score
I don't think Apple has anything to worry about when it comes to sales. They are smart in that they kept the old phones to compete with the cheap and not so good Android phones we all know are out there. I can see imoms and idads getting their iteen a $99 iphone4 or free 3g as a first phone, locking them into the isystem. It doesn't matter to these people whether it is a top phone or not, as long as it's from Apple. There is a very large and very loyal audience that is not looking to change to anything non Apple. The key for the Android manufacturers is, how to capture the new to smartphone person and their family that have not yet tasted the Apple flavored kool-aid.

Nausicaa

Reaction score
Why all the Apple hate?
They're gonna get very good sales. If you think otherwise you'd be wrong. If specs make a phone, Nokia would have been on top too, we know that isn't true. The retention value is also way ahead of Android, look how much a Droid and a 3GS or even a 3G sell for. The software is excellent as well.

Now don't get me wrong, I love my iPhone 4, I'm definitely getting the iPhone 4S to sell immediately, and then get a nice Android phone, but lets not delude ourselves that its a terrible phone. And for gatecity... now it will be cheaper. The iPhone does cheapen every single phone in the carrier's Android line once it comes out. That can't be a bad thing, unless you bought one to sell.

Cheers!

OP
V

Vakharn

Reaction score
It's true that Apple will never die, but I do believe that this will cut into their sales numbers somewhat. People who DO know enough to care about specs will be extremely annoyed with Apple for releasing a product that is not only not up to their usual standards, but actually behind the trend from most of the competition. As a previous poster stated, Apple's devices are usually exceptional relative to the competition in one way or another (the retina display being the iPhone 4's biggest ace in the hole). Now for the first time Apple's new iPhone is a device that is outdated on release. This WILL impact sales and Android will gain more ground on the iPhone.

The iPhone and it's descendants are unlikely to die out anytime soon, but the share of the market they hold onto will eventually consist solely of Apple fanbois and people who only care about the iPhone name if this becomes a trend.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The thing is...it's an excellent point that the IPhone is more than powerful enough for what it does. They also seem to be the only OEM putting any effort into the camera.

I find IOS too limiting (although each iteration is adding features that have been in Android much longer, but again most features are somewhat obvious). I also think IOS is just boring - just a listing of apps. I'll never trade my widgets, or my Locale functionality, or google nav for an IPhone. And with Google bringing Chrome to Android the integration of the Google suite will only get better. Oh, and no LTE is a non-starter.