Microsoft's Windows 10 Briefing Quick Breakdown: Spartan, Xbox Live, Surface Hub & More!

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Something I'd like to see at GDC in regards to Windows 10 is for Microsoft to announce an Xbox mode or Controller mode for those of us that have a HTPC hooked up to our TV all the time. The interface would allow for us to navigate our PC using an Xbox controller and launch apps from the Windows store or games from Steam. I feel like SteamOS/Steam big picture mode replicates a console interface quite well, but I want the seamless transition to Netflix and Plex as well. They're supposed to announce something big for PC gamers at that time, but it will probably be more DX12 related than anything.

I am/was beta testing 10 I still don't like the look / feel. I want a computer. Not a oversized tablet. Bring back the original look.

Windows 7 and Windows 8 both have a Windows classic theme. I don't see that going away any time, soon. I'm waiting on the consumer preview next week before I give Windows 10 a shot. But I'm curious if you've tried any of the Linux distros or desktop environments and if they suited your personal needs better?

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I loved Ubuntu until Canonical took a hold of it. I even ran Yellowdog on my PS3 until Sony wiped it off when they revoked the capability.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
I loved Ubuntu until Canonical took a hold of it. I even ran Yellowdog on my PS3 until Sony wiped it off when they revoked the capability.
Yes, Ubuntu has become very "corporationish" lately with some of the closed source and forced desktop environment, but it's still fantastic for someone looking to get their feet wet with the ease of installation and lots of support. I don't know what scared Sony into taking the "Other OS" option off of their console, but my PS3 would probably get a lot more use if it was still there!

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yes, Ubuntu has become very "corporationish" lately with some of the closed source and forced desktop environment, but it's still fantastic for someone looking to get their feet wet with the ease of installation and lots of support. I don't know what scared Sony into taking the "Other OS" option off of their console, but my PS3 would probably get a lot more use if it was still there!

Ubuntu is the first distro that I would suggest to someone wanting to try out Linux. You hit the nail on the head at how simple Ubuntu has made getting it up and running. It's a great flavor to start with before trying out others.

Windows 10 is going to be pretty nice. I think too many opinionist blogs ruined Windows 8 for the majority of people which in turn made people not even want to try it. It blows Windows 7 away.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Pffft. I broke my Ubuntu in about a week install and have been unable to fix it.

Why you have no System Restore Ubuntu?!?!?!? :D

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Can't do any of that now: it's broken. A totally broken install I cannot fix.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Now, if I could stream games to my android phone or tablet and play in bed or on the couch upstairs, that might be cool.

You would definitely be interested in this, then:

To my knowledge it's not platform agnostic, meaning you need a Geforce GTX card 700 series or above. This hijacks the signal that is meant for the Nvidia Gameshield.

Not trying to get too far off topic, though. I really am excited to see what Windows 10 brings to the table, but I did read they're going to start thinking of Windows as a service. The article made it seem like I didn't have anything to worry about just yet, though.

Delivering Windows as a Service and a Free Upgrade to Windows 10
The next generation of Windows Windows 10

eebvending

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S10+
I saw it explained somewhere that it means you have a year to upgrade your W7 or W8 system to W10, and then after that, if you want to upgrade you will pay. This is a means to give people an incentive to upgrade soon.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
This is what I will be doing. I'm upgrading immediately.

While I'm at it I will be shrinking my OSX partition to the smallest allowable or dropping off my MBP for a larger hard drive.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
You would definitely be interested in this, then:

To my knowledge it's not platform agnostic, meaning you need a Geforce GTX card 700 series or above. This hijacks the signal that is meant for the Nvidia Gameshield.

Not trying to get too far off topic, though. I really am excited to see what Windows 10 brings to the table, but I did read they're going to start thinking of Windows as a service. The article made it seem like I didn't have anything to worry about just yet, though.

The next generation of Windows Windows 10

This is what I'll be waiting for in regards to new Windows 10 features. Remote Play features that aren't platform dependent. I don't want to buy a Vita or another type of portable to play PC games (which is one of the reasons I don't play them often.)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Well, enough time has passed and I haven't heard any real negative reviews or major bugs with Windows 10 so I finally updated my laptop this evening. Super fast & easy update and everything works great. I've spent the last hour updating the various permissions and am finally ready to dive in. I still have to download all my files & photos from my external HD but that can wait until tomorrow. Do any of you guys use this Cortana character on a regular basis? Is it worth leaving it on to utilize? (I currently have her deactivated) also, is anyone using Microsoft Edge as your main browser, or do you simply open up Chrome? I don't like the fact that you can only export your Internet Explorer bookmarks, that's a waste since I haven't used IE in years. :( If that's all I can find to complain about with W10, I'm a happy camper so far.

S5 tap'n

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I have Win 10 running for a few months now. I will say it's not my go to machine as I only use it for rooting/modding. I do use Chrome since it is synced across all my devices..

Reactions: cr6

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Removed permissions, cortana and onedrive, turned off update share, etc. Also only use chrome. Edge doesn't allow my touchpad to scroll. Even after going through synaptics latest drivers.

10 is fast and works just like w7. I was on the msdn review for a few months.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
10s great. Have it on all my boxes. I did everything Mustang did.
Also had the same touchpad issue. I fixed it. Sorry. Can't remember how. Edge is OK. It refuses to open my gmail, though. So FF and Chrome here.

TapaTurboII