Microsoft Officially Unveils the Surface 3 with Intel Atom CPU & Windows 8.1 for $499

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Basically it is just an updated Surface 2 with Full Windows not RT. They do have the Power Cover for the Surface 2 which has a Built In Battery Keyboard which I have seen for $99, so if they have the same connector like the Surface 2 or Surface Pro 3 then that could be a better option than the Type Cover. I Would have bought the Power Cover for my Surface Pro 3 but since it was for a 10.6" Device It doesnt Cover it entirely so its not as Aesthetically pleasing although very functional. Since the Surface 3 will be an Atom Cpu it would give more Battery life than the i5 I have in my Surface Pro 3 anyway. Personally I would touch any Windows Device with under 4GB of Ram though and Since the Atom is only 32Bit its not going to happen until they Release the Surface Pro 4 with the Core M Cpus (Rumored).

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The issue, to me, is that a 10-11" screen is just too small for a laptop while bordering on too big for a tablet.

Not sure I'd want to trade an i5 or i7 for the atom on my laptop.

And I wish tablet makers would opt for the full-size SD instead of micro - cheaper and more storage with the full-size SD. The 256GB option + 256GB SSD is a little bit cheaper than a 512GB SSD.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Not too mention most of our smartphones have more powerful processors. I agree with Kodiak and the size....much too small for a laptop replacement imo.

S5 tap'n

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The Surface 3 is more of a Netbook Size Replacement where the Surface Pro 3 although a 12.2" Screen is more the Laptop Replacement w/ i3, i5 & i7 options. Although the Price is obviously cheaper than the SP3 it would be Cheaper to get a Asus Transformer Book which basically Spec'd about the same only Cheaper but is a little lower res Screen.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
but you still have to have a Windows Laptop or Tablet so all your doing is adding this Docking Station. Not sure that is really the same thing. So you are Adding that Cost to What ever else you have or are getting. I think the Asus Transformer for $350 Does the Job. Although I am Happy with my Surface pro 3

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Just saying that if you really wanted a workstation on your desk, there is an option for that. Love to get the company to buy me one of those. :D