Microsoft's Windows 10 Briefing Quick Breakdown: Spartan, Xbox Live, Surface Hub & More!

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Subscription based, I really hope that is a rumor with zero truth to it. That would push me over to Linux. I will buy my OS but I will not pay a subscription for it.

As for gamers, sure, if you have an xbox one. I have a PS4 and don't plan on getting the xbone.

WildcatRudy

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
I really don't mind a subscription...as long as the price is kept down. Not giveaway-cheap, but I think I'd rather pay a flat fee per year than have to hem and haw over shelling out a large chunk just to upgrade. (My Win8 Pro upgrade was that $15 deal they were running when it first came out.)

I have Office365 and am quite happy with it, yet I got it through an academic discount and it was only $79.99 for four years.

Adobe? I like their products, and I realize they are heavy duty professional products, but their subscription pricing is nuts. I have used Photoshop since 1997, so I have to cling onto an older CS version until I absolutely cannot run it anymore. I don't use Photoshop enough anymore (a few times per week, vs. hours daily) to even justify a single-product subscription. Even the academic pricing is crazy (as though they expect students and instructors to be able to afford it).

Still, I believe there should be subscription pricing and physical software/OS to buy, to give buyers a choice.

Looking forward to Win10 here though. Never had issues with Win8, as I installed Start8 from Stardock.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I don't get why the lack of start menu bothers so many people. I don't really use the live tiles, but if I want to find something that's not on my desktop, I just hit the Windows button on the keyboard & start typing whatever it is at the start screen.

Sent from my Note 4 via Tapatalk

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Free Win10 is interesting. Can't believe they'd "give" it away (though really it should almost be viewed as a product upgrade). Definitely read the fine print - I'm not going through that hassle only to re-install 7 a year from now.

Plus I'll wait and see reviews. Win7 is rock-solid for me and I have no complaints or interest in upgrading.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Subscription based, I really hope that is a rumor with zero truth to it. That would push me over to Linux. I will buy my OS but I will not pay a subscription for it.

As for gamers, sure, if you have an xbox one. I have a PS4 and don't plan on getting the xbone.

Same here; I have a NAS, phone;), and a laptop that run Linux. A subscription model would push me to transition my desktop as well (despite the fact that I'd give up a majority of my gaming library in the process). Still, I'm pretty sure that's a rumor.

One thing I don't understand is the Xbox One streaming to PC. I feel like it would make much more sense to go the other way around. Granted, I'll be quite happy to chat with my XBL buddies that have an XB1 while I'm playing on my PC.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
One thing I don't understand is the Xbox One streaming to PC. I feel like it would make much more sense to go the other way around. Granted, I'll be quite happy to chat with my XBL buddies that have an XB1 while I'm playing on my PC.

Yeah. I'm not really excited about that feature either, though I think it's cool. I've never really been a fan of gaming on a PC and my xbox one is in my mancave, where it's too cold for the Mrs. and too dark and scary for the little guy, so it's not like someone else would be using my xbox for netflix or anything else and I'd want to play on my computer. The 360 has moved upstairs since my stepson got some Kinect games for it for Christmas (My idea to keep him on 360 since I haven't fired it up since I got the one).

Now, if I could stream games to my android phone or tablet and play in bed or on the couch upstairs, that might be cool.

supermandroid

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X 2nd Gen
Yeah. I'm not really excited about that feature either, though I think it's cool. I've never really been a fan of gaming on a PC and my xbox one is in my mancave, where it's too cold for the Mrs. and too dark and scary for the little guy, so it's not like someone else would be using my xbox for netflix or anything else and I'd want to play on my computer. The 360 has moved upstairs since my stepson got some Kinect games for it for Christmas (My idea to keep him on 360 since I haven't fired it up since I got the one).

Now, if I could stream games to my android phone or tablet and play in bed or on the couch upstairs, that might be cool.

Streaming seems to be the hot ticket nowadays. I've taken advantage of Steam streaming between multiple Linux/Windows clients with great success, and I'm really looking forward to the Razer Forge TV.

I *used* to like JohnnyKansas. ;)

I absolutely LOVE PC gaming as it gives me the option to customize my hardware, choose a controller or kb/m, play higher end versions of games, Steam sales, ROMS, and mods, mods, and mods! I'm curious to see what Gaben will do to promote the Steam machines and SteamOS over Windows 10.

Johnny Kansas, check this out if you have some time.
guide - pcmasterrace

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Bookmarked that guide. I just feel like I'm already invested in the xbox one and I like keeping my computer work-personal computing oriented and having the separate console.

I read the introduction though and it makes total sense. I've also never played a PC game with an actual controller. I used to play Monster Truck Madness or something with the keyboard. Haha!

I suppose that could make a difference.

Not very logical reasoning, but I also feel very invested in my console since I've already spent the money on it and some games. While I realize it would be cheaper to start buying games for PC instead of continuing to buy them for the console, then that console that I paid for is suddenly just collecting dust and doing the occasional Netflix stream.

Might be worth it for me to look into a gaming PC tower that I can just hook up to the big screen tv. I currently have only a laptop and wouldn't want to leave it tethered to the tv all the time, so I'm not really setup to make a transition very easily.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Not to get too OT: I've been a PC gamer 4LIYFE! :D
But there was a brief time where I got sick of chasing the upgrade train. New games comes out, ohhhh... now I need a new Video card!!
Bought a PS3. Realized Console DON'T SUCK for FPS games. Had much fun with COD and BFBC:2... and Infamous!

But the itch came back. I had to scratch it. So I got a gaming laptop. One of the top 5 best "Tech decisions" I've ever made. Nothing like being able to throw your gaming rig into a backpack and play some BF4: At the office. At a friends house while he is on his desktop. Another buddy bought one too so we'd both go over the Desktop guys house, Squad up, and rock some BF4 together.
And for every other task it's a total rock star because it's a gaming laptop. Going on almost 4 years now and it can STILL run the newest games out there, Photoshop like a mother, any thing I cant throw at it.
Yea... Destiny would probably need to run at Medium video settings... but run, and run well, it would.

eddiekeyton

Banned
Reaction score
Twitter
eddiekeyton
I am/was beta testing 10 I still don't like the look / feel. I want a computer. Not a oversized tablet. Bring back the original look.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not to get too OT: I've been a PC gamer 4LIYFE! :D
But there was a brief time where I got sick of chasing the upgrade train. New games comes out, ohhhh... now I need a new Video card!!
Bought a PS3. Realized Console DON'T SUCK for FPS games. Had much fun with COD and BFBC:2... and Infamous!

But the itch came back. I had to scratch it. So I got a gaming laptop. One of the top 5 best "Tech decisions" I've ever made. Nothing like being able to throw your gaming rig into a backpack and play some BF4: At the office. At a friends house while he is on his desktop. Another buddy bought one too so we'd both go over the Desktop guys house, Squad up, and rock some BF4 together.
And for every other task it's a total rock star because it's a gaming laptop. Going on almost 4 years now and it can STILL run the newest games out there, Photoshop like a mother, any thing I cant throw at it.
Yea... Destiny would probably need to run at Medium video settings... but run, and run well, it would.
Maybe that'd work for me, though I'm not in the market for a new laptop for a while now, especially if I get a free upgrade to 10.

I am/was beta testing 10 I still don't like the look / feel. I want a computer. Not a oversized tablet. Bring back the original look.
I don't know how much more like the original it could look. It has a traditional start menu with live tiles added in. Or are you referring to their color choices? Because that's just kinda where things are at these days...