Windows 10 Launch Quick Guide: Almost Everything You Need to Get Started

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I wonder if the average user, such as myself, that is only half informed but has heard of the Vista fiasco then the Windows 8 that tried to morph the desktop into a mobile phone running the same os and having to learn things all over again, like every major update to Office? Just when I find it where the "print" option is MS changes the whole bloody system again. Perhaps they're thinking "I'm fine with 7, leave me alone. I've got work to get done and don't have time to schedule a class to relearn how to copy and paste"?

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4
I agree! I think Vista and win8 were such disasters that most people are very cautious. I hated win8. I installed an app so I could return to a traditional desktop with a start menu. And their original debacle of having to swipe from top of screen to bottom just to close a window. What were they thinking? Doing that on my 29" monitor screen was absurd. The win8 nightmare list is long. I'm sure, especially for those on win7, don't want to trust win10.

All that slamming aside, I did finally install win10 last night. Install went smooth and I'm liking it so far. Huge improvement on win8.

sent from my Note3 (soon to be??) using tapatalk

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree! I think Vista and win8 were such disasters that most people are very cautious. I hated win8. I installed an app so I could return to a traditional desktop with a start menu. And their original debacle of having to swipe from top of screen to bottom just to close a window. What were they thinking? Doing that on my 29" monitor screen was absurd. The win8 nightmare list is long. I'm sure, especially for those on win7, don't want to trust win10.

All that slamming aside, I did finally install win10 last night. Install went smooth and I'm liking it so far. Huge improvement on win8.

I'm in the queue for an update. It'll get here when it does and in the meantime it gives me more time to read tips and tricks to make my acclimation less painful.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I tried to wait for my turn in the queue but reading everyone's experiences, I had to jump in.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Most of my customer's systems have had the get windows 10 flag notification for a long time and haven't even noticed. ;)

Those that did seem to feel if it aint broke don't mess with it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
My mom has also had the windows flag for months. It is totally stressing her out. When it first appeared, she called me freaking out thinking she had another virus (I've had to take care a couple of those for her). Of course, I couldn't have got the same notice on mine so I could know what she was talking about. No, that would have been too easy. I had to rush over to her house because it was a "state of emergency!" She is determined to stay on win7. I think I will install it on my laptop and let her play with it for awhile (I rarely touch my desktop or laptop anymore anyway... thanks to my trusty phone and tablet). Maybe she will decide she likes it.

Raydee35

Reaction score
I updated to 10 last night but for some reason my Screensaver stopped working. My monitors will not turn off automatically anymore either. Any ideas?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I updated to 10 last night but for some reason my Screensaver stopped working. My monitors will not turn off automatically anymore either. Any ideas?
You may have to go into settings (start menu) and "personalization" or "display" settings and set them up. Currently I'm not at my pc to check exactly which settings, but if you explore it should get you to the right place.

Raydee35

Reaction score
Yeah i have been to all the settings and tried them all. Still no luck.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Mine doesn't turn off @ shut down either. Checked all the setting.. Doesn't seem to be one.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
I had a good one today. Started my PC and a Critical Error. The Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. The prompt said "log off and we will try to fix it.
I thought I was done as I could not get passed the error screen. Had to restart my PC 10 times before it fixed itself.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I had a good one today. Started my PC and a Critical Error. The Start Menu and Cortana stopped working. The prompt said "log off and we will try to fix it.
I thought I was done as I could not get passed the error screen. Had to restart my PC 10 times before it fixed itself.

Yeah i have been to all the settings and tried them all. Still no luck.

Mine doesn't turn off @ shut down either. Checked all the setting.. Doesn't seem to be one.

Ok well I am glad I am not the only one with this issue.

Eek!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Now sitting at my PC, I have... go to start menu --> settings --> personalization --> Lock screen --> screen timeout settings.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I just got mine up and running. Edge seems a little sluggish with typing and scrolling. I guess jittery is a better word. Scroll is very jumpy and seems to lag a second when typing...