Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I've been slacking on playing with my Win10 preview machine at work (have had better things to do), but the little that I have messed with it, I've enjoyed. I'm one of the few that really don't have complaints about Windows 8 though. I have a touchscreen laptop, but rarely actually use the touchscreen, because I wipe enough smudges off of my phone and tablets. The start screen doesn't bother me at all, but that's because I don't use it. I set it to boot to the desktop as soon as I figured out I could and when I need to find something, I simply hit the windows key to bring up the start screen and start typing. It finds what I'm looking for and I don't have to scroll or click through menus.

Anyway, I've also been slacking on my research of the upgrade progress. Anyone know how compatibility is for programs (yes, I still call Window "apps" programs) that currently work on 7 and 8? Is there full backwards compatibility?

I'd love to upgrade my main PC right away, but I can't afford to not be able to run my website creation software until a patch comes out if it's not compatible with 10 right away.

Reactions: cr6

Rognish

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6
Twitter
rognish
I finally figured out my problem with my touchpad, I ended up uninstalling the software and now no blue screen, woot woot, all is right.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Remember folks, this is no different than any other major update.....backups, backups,backups. (This IS Microsoft afterall...there are ALWAYS bugs in the beginning) While I typically let others "guinea pig" OS updates on my smartphone before updating, when it comes to my PC, I usually wait at least 4 months minimum. (I won't wait that long though, I have high hopes for this version) I look forward to hearing what you guys think.

S5 tap'n

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I've been slacking on playing with my Win10 preview machine at work (have had better things to do), but the little that I have messed with it, I've enjoyed. I'm one of the few that really don't have complaints about Windows 8 though. I have a touchscreen laptop, but rarely actually use the touchscreen, because I wipe enough smudges off of my phone and tablets. The start screen doesn't bother me at all, but that's because I don't use it. I set it to boot to the desktop as soon as I figured out I could and when I need to find something, I simply hit the windows key to bring up the start screen and start typing. It finds what I'm looking for and I don't have to scroll or click through menus.

My job gave me a Surface Pro 3 with 8.1 on it about a year ago to test out and see if it could be used in our environment. At first I was hesitant to use it because I wasn't crazy about 8.1 but once we dug into it and tweaked it accordingly (booting to the desktop rather than the tiled interface, for example), I've grown to like it. And having a touchscreen certainly does help, though lately I've managed to learn how to manipulate it with the mouse and keyboard.. At first I would only use the Surface for my on-call rotation, which was once every 6 weeks. However, more recently we've deployed a few more of the devices to others within our group and a couple upper management types. So just last week I decided to change over to using the Surface as my primary work system and have ceased using my Win7 laptop.

I'm wondering if I could/should upgrade this Surface to 10 when it's available...hm....

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
@IIGood

Absolutely. Upgrade. It will be a snap.

Well, the only thing I'm concerned with is how well it will work in the corporate environment. There are already some things in our environment that don't work properly within even 8.1, but that's our own fault really.

As for my home machine, I'll definitely be upgrading...no doubt.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I have 2 corporate clients who have taken the plunge on one system in their office to use the "slow" track upgrade. All the settings were maintained for the desktop and the domain including maintaining all the user and password info. So far they haven't seen any problem.

One did see a problem several builds ago with one of the Autodesk programs they use so they quit. But that was a very early build. Now that they are back on a newer build everything works as expected.

Gremlin

Reaction score
How soon did you see the windows 10 upgrade icon? I installed the necessary KB for it as well :p

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I signed up for the download on my laptop that doesn't have much information at all. Can't wait for it to download and install.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Well, the only thing I'm concerned with is how well it will work in the corporate environment. There are already some things in our environment that don't work properly within even 8.1, but that's our own fault really.

As for my home machine, I'll definitely be upgrading...no doubt.
Is it running the enterprise version of Windows? Because that's not supposed to be a free upgrade, unless I'm misunderstanding what I read quite a while back.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Is it running the enterprise version of Windows? Because that's not supposed to be a free upgrade, unless I'm misunderstanding what I read quite a while back.

No, the Surface Pro 3 from my job is only on 8.1 Professional. I also read about the Enterprise thing.

But no, they only bought these kinda ad-hoc...the one I have is from a batch of 5 that was purchased last summer. Back in March, they purchased another 30 that we're planning to distribute. They're not planning on giving these out to all 2,000+ employees.

My home machine is Win7 Ultimate.

Gremlin

Reaction score
My gaming machine which was on Windows 8.1, had to force it to get the upgrade notification. However, windows 7 ultimate laptop, has all the updates and still with the force as I did with my PC not getting the notification..