Windows 10 Launch Quick Guide: Almost Everything You Need to Get Started

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
Something that's missing on many current systems, especially laptops, is a disk activity indicator light. When you first get Windows 10 set up it may appear to be at rest at the desktop with no hourglass but I have found after many installs that a lot is going on in the background for quite a while. Even more if you upgraded from Windows 7 as OneDrive will consume resources while syncing to the cloud. I have seen systems take 20 minutes to completely calm down.

Patience grasshoppers.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
Something that's missing on many current systems, especially laptops, is a disk activity indicator light. When you first get Windows 10 set up it may appear to be at rest at the desktop with no hourglass but I have found after many installs that a lot is going on in the background for quite a while. Even more if you upgraded from Windows 7 as OneDrive will consume resources while syncing to the cloud. I have seen systems take 20 minutes to completely calm down.

Patience grasshoppers.
My disk activity light is going crazy. Lol also the icon for the store seems to be "refreshing" blinks or flickers ever few minutes. Debating on doing a fresh install since I did it from within windows and not via boot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
My disk activity light is going crazy. Lol also the icon for the store seems to be "refreshing" blinks or flickers ever few minutes. Debating on doing a fresh install since I did it from within windows and not via boot.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
There may also be a Store app update. I would wait it out. All the systems I have done upgrades on finally settled down and all run very well. Good that you have a light to watch but it's like waiting for a pot of water to boil.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2

Patience grasshoppers.

I have seen the same thing. My mother had an older laptop as well as her Surface and that laptop took almost an hour to settle itself down. She used it for work and didn't need it right away fortunately, but be warned. It may take a while on older machines.

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I couldn't get the store to cooperate it. When I clicked on an app it would crash. I also noticed that even though I selected not to save anything during install it saved everything to the Windows old folder. So I did a complete wipe and fresh install. Everything is much better.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
We have 2 Win7 desktops, and a Win8.1 Toshiba laptop.
The laptop was the first to receive the Win10 notification, and it's the last to receive the download... (it still hasnt).
The laptop is the only machine that I will definitely upgrade, since I HATE Windows 8.1.
Once I get a chance to see if I like it, I may do the desktops, but I don't have any issues with the Win7 machines.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy Note4 using Tapatalk

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
We have 2 Win7 desktops, and a Win8.1 Toshiba laptop.
The laptop was the first to receive the Win10 notification, and it's the last to receive the download... (it still hasnt).
The laptop is the only machine that I will definitely upgrade, since I HATE Windows 8.1.
Once I get a chance to see if I like it, I may do the desktops, but I don't have any issues with the Win7 machines.

You can actually do it yourself using a very easy tool that Microsoft distributed if you don't want to wait.

Windows 10

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes, I saw earlier in this thread that it is possible, but........
My Win10 app says
"We're validating W10 for your PC. While upgrades have started for most PC's, we're working with our partners to ensure that even more PC'S work well with W10.
We recommend that you upgrade after you get your notification that W10 is ready for your PC."

That causes me to hesitate when thinking about forcing it before they notify me...
What do you think?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I upgraded early with the tool and had no issue. It says my install is validated, but I don't know how to get the key or if I even have one.

Thought I read a blurb if you had an issue with validation, you could just hit cancel several times if prompted for a key and/or reboot a few times.

So I don't think it's an issue, but I can't imagine waiting another week or two is going to kill you. I also doubt waiting for the official notification/download is going to prevent this issue as I believe some who did get the official notice had the issue.

Just remember you upgrade first. Then if you want to do a clean install, you use that tool to create a bootable USB to do it. So in any case, your first step is just going to be to upgrade your old Windows installation, NOT a clean install.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
I upgraded early with the tool and had no issue. It says my install is validated, but I don't know how to get the key or if I even have one.

Thought I read a blurb if you had an issue with validation, you could just hit cancel several times if prompted for a key and/or reboot a few times.

So I don't think it's an issue, but I can't imagine waiting another week or two is going to kill you. I also doubt waiting for the official notification/download is going to prevent this issue as I believe some who did get the official notice had the issue.
Once Windows 10 has validated after the upgrade you no longer need a key (SN) to reinstall or clean install on that system. So long as you didn't make significant hardware changes.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Once Windows 10 has validated after the upgrade you no longer need a key (SN) to reinstall or clean install on that system. So long as you didn't make significant hardware changes.

Any idea what happens if you make a back-up or ISO and then later swap out the hard drive? Shouldn't I be able to just load the ISO onto a new hard drive that is partitioned to the same size?

It kind of annoys/scares me to think I may need to replace a drive on an otherwise perfectly capable computer and then pony-up for a Windows license. Maybe I should save those old Win7 ISO backups?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Also, do I just follow prompts to do a clean install? Should I partition my drive for just the OS beforehand, or change it after the install? I don't know if a clean install will let me choose partition sizes or not.

ezrider55

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG V30
Good Luck. It took 40 min. for me to figure out it was doing nothing while it said "working on it". The install wanted me to upgrade Skype B 4 it would continue.:mad:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Any idea what happens if you make a back-up or ISO and then later swap out the hard drive? Shouldn't I be able to just load the ISO onto a new hard drive that is partitioned to the same size?

It kind of annoys/scares me to think I may need to replace a drive on an otherwise perfectly capable computer and then pony-up for a Windows license. Maybe I should save those old Win7 ISO backups?
I would think if you have your Win key you should be fine.