Microsoft Confirms Rumors; Officially Announces that Windows 8 Will Launch in October

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
windows_8_pc.jpeg

This isn't Android related news, but it does affect the whole industry, and many of us use PCs, so we thought it worth sharing. For some months now we have heard rumor after rumor that Microsoft would launch it's latest Windows operating system, dubbed Windows 8, sometime in the Fall and likely October. Those rumors have now been confirmed by an official statement from the Redmond giant. Here's a quote with the details,

Microsoft announced on Monday during its annual Worldwide Partner Conference that its next-generation Windows 8 operating system will launch this October. The company confirmed that the Release to Manufacturing (RTM) version of its operating system is on track to be released to partners in August, and the final consumer version will be released in late October along with the first run of next-generation devices powered by the new operating system. Microsoft also said that users who purchase Windows 7 PCs today will be able to upgrade to Windows 8 Pro following its release for just $14.99.

So it looks like that Windows 8 will be available for OEMs to begin putting on their new PCs as early as August, and the final shipping retail version will come in October. It's also interesting to see that Microsoft is taking care of current PC purchasers by offering a very affordable upgrade option, in an effort to spur consumers to purchase a PC now rather than waiting.

If you are interested in reading more about Windows 8 and the Microsoft Surface Tablet, you can check it out @ Microsoft Surface Forum.

Source: SurfaceForums.net via BGR

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
I have not even looked at Windows 8 even once since they first announced it.

I followed 7 from concept to launch and tested every release up until they launched it. And I LOVE 7,so why bother spending even more money for a new OS when the one I have works and is awesome?

It would take a lot of convincing for me to even look at it.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I believe you can upgrade from 7 to 8 (new PC aside) for something like $30 or $40.

SamuelMSr

Reaction score
Why would I? Windows 7 works just fine, probably the best OS ever.

I don't see the point.

jseah

Reaction score
I believe you can upgrade from 7 to 8 (new PC aside) for something like $30 or $40.

If you purchased a Windows 7 computer any time after June 1, you can get an upgrade to Windows 8 for $15. If you have a computer running Windows 7, Vista, or XP, then you can upgrade to Windows 8 for $30. From all the articles I have read, they pretty much all say that if the current version of Windows is working fine for you, it might make sense to wait until you need to upgrade your hardware. The big thing that Windows 8 brings to the table, full touch screen capabilities, would be wasted on a pre-Windows 8 machine without a touch screen.

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you purchased a Windows 7 computer any time after June 1, you can get an upgrade to Windows 8 for $15. If you have a computer running Windows 7, Vista, or XP, then you can upgrade to Windows 8 for $30. From all the articles I have read, they pretty much all say that if the current version of Windows is working fine for you, it might make sense to wait until you need to upgrade your hardware. The big thing that Windows 8 brings to the table, full touch screen capabilities, would be wasted on a pre-Windows 8 machine without a touch screen.

$30 for an upgrade you say? hmm might have to look into that although i'd be happy with windows 7 rather than 8 since my laptop is definitely not touchscreen lol
I'm still on old, slow windows vista :sad:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I've got the release preview and so far I like it. I'm sure they will keep certain features locked until the release version, but I still like it.

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
SamuelMSr said:

I don't see the point.

You aren't missing anything. I grabbed the Consumer Preview of 8 and I'm not a fan at all. Don't care for the Metro interface whatsoever. And I don't see Windows 8 ever going in to the business segment. I'll be sticking with 7 as well. 8 will be the first version of Windows I've skipped since Win95.

cybertec69

Silver Member
Reaction score
People need to understand, reason Microsoft is doing Windows 8 and the reason they are letting everyone upgrade with Win 7, Win XP, and Win Vista to this low price upgrade is not because they love you all, reason is they want you to do an eventual upgrade to a Win 8 phone, which will be using the same Kernel as the Desktop Version of Windows 8, easy integration with everything you do, and Microsoft knows that for them to go where they want to go they need to make a dent in the mobile market, currently controlled by iFart and Android, this is where the future of computing is going, tablets and smartphones "portable media", and glasses hehe, and Microsoft I have a feeling is going to have a nice platform for the end user. Can you picture beign able to port PC ready games to your smartphone, and you know that all your office software on your PC will work like a charm on your smartphone.

[video=youtube;royJee1SQlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royJee1SQlY&feature=plcp[/video]

Last edited:

LaurelRaven

Reaction score

I don't see the point.

If you love windows 7, you will likely hate 8. For good reason, too. The interface is terrible for mouse and keyboard, and due to some of the new ways you interact with it, i have a hard time seeing it work well as a touch interface (how the hell to you use control corners on a touch screen?)

This release is largely being regarded as another Vista or ME. I'd skip it.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

metalspring

Silver Member
Reaction score
People need to understand, reason Microsoft is doing Windows 8 and the reason they are letting everyone upgrade with Win 7, Win XP, and Win Vista to this low price upgrade is not because they love you all, reason is they want you to do an eventual upgrade to a Win 8 phone, which will be using the same Kernel as the Desktop Version of Windows 8, easy integration with everything you do, and Microsoft knows that for them to go where they want to go they need to make a dent in the mobile market, currently controlled by iFart and Android, this is where the future of computing is going, tablets and smartphones "portable media", and glasses hehe, and Microsoft I have a feeling is going to have a nice platform for the end user. Can you picture beign able to port PC ready games to your smartphone, and you know that all your office software on your PC will work like a charm on your smartphone.

[video=youtube;royJee1SQlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=royJee1SQlY&feature=plcp[/video]

Speaking of which, imagine if Google ever releases Android as a desktop OS...

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score

I don't see the point.

How did you decide you loved windows 7? You tried it. You say you have not kept up on the development of Win 8, so why don't you look in to it and then make a decision, or even grab the beta download and try it out for a few days. If you don't like it, then at least you tried it and you can say "I tried it and I didn't like it" rather then out right saying you have no interest? This is coming from a Kubuntu/linux user.

The big thing that Windows 8 brings to the table, full touch screen capabilities, would be wasted on a pre-Windows 8 machine without a touch screen.
If you have been following it, you should know that they are adding quite a few things to the more traditional environment that looks and functions like 7. You can also use the Metro UI and traditional(RT?) UI side by side. I found it interesting you can have a window playing in Metro, and shrink it to a custom size side bar that will keep displaying the video while you multi-task.

If you love windows 7, you will likely hate 8. For good reason, too. The interface is terrible for mouse and keyboard, and due to some of the new ways you interact with it, i have a hard time seeing it work well as a touch interface (how the hell to you use control corners on a touch screen?)

This release is largely being regarded as another Vista or ME. I'd skip it.

Sent from my ICS Bionic
You do realize that the Metro UI is being designed to properly utilize a mouse and touch right? I assume that moving the mouse to the right a little will move you to the next tile while in Metro rather then moving a mouse pointer along the screen as you move the mouse. It will not provide fine control like it currently does, but rather react in a sort of swipe movement.

Now I do fear it could turn out to be another Vista as it is a major over haul of the core system. Given Microsoft's track record, it is very easy to make the assumption. However, given how much Microsoft is riding on this being a revolutionary change to there OS and forming a universal eco system like Android and Apple while taking that eco system concept a step further, and bringing that UI and OS core to a desktop environment rather then just tablet and smart phones, Microsoft really needs to hit the nail on the head right here right now with the Win 8 release rather then waiting for Windows 9 or Service Pack 1 to refine an enhance the changes like they did with Vista->7. Actually, I have to point out that Vista has now become a very capable and stable OS since the release of SP9. Alot of the problem with Vista was not actually Microsoft's fault but rather the lack of third party driver compatibility issues which is the fault of the OEMs, not Microsoft. To many people bash Vista to jump on the band wagon rather then using it there self. I used Vista for a few years, and I loved it for what it was at the time. It was very stable and functional in my custom built PC environment. My girlfriends Dell laptop that shipped with vista was a completely different experience when I uninstalled her NIC drivers due to problems, and was unable to get the Dell branded driver for a Dell rebadged Intel NIC to properly install. The Intel drivers were no better but this was Dell and Intel's fault, not Microsoft. Other then the NIC issue, which needed a complete reinstall, it was perfectly fine OS.

JoshuaTucker

Reaction score
I'll be keeping 7 and not upgrading to 8 for a while. I'll let Microsoft get all the bugs out first :p

Last edited:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if the upgrade is as cheap as everyone is saying i may upgrade

LaurelRaven

Reaction score
You do realize that the Metro UI is being designed to properly utilize a mouse and touch right? I assume that moving the mouse to the right a little will move you to the next tile while in Metro rather then moving a mouse pointer along the screen as you move the mouse. It will not provide fine control like it currently does, but rather react in a sort of swipe movement.

Actually, it still uses the mouse normally. Thankfully; the way you described sounds horrid (no offense). The problem is a combination of a forced change (if you upgrade, there is no legacy start menu); elements for both touch and traditional input (giving us a worst of both worlds, since both are active rather than dependent on what you are using); a poor usability layout for use with keyboard/mouse/large monitor paradigm (trying to do away with the window concept is simply stupid and inefficient for large format machines like desktops and laptops); and a total shift in design away from what everyone had gotten used to over the last 20 years without a replacement that is intuitive enough for people either upgrading with years of experience, or completely new to computing.

Alot of the problem with Vista was not actually Microsoft's fault but rather the lack of third party driver compatibility issues which is the fault of the OEMs, not Microsoft. To many people bash Vista to jump on the band wagon rather then using it there self.

While I'm glad that you had a better experience than most, it wasn't all jumping the bandwagon or fear of change, nor was it just the drivers. By now, the drivers issues should be gone, but i find nothing but problems when i have to use it even now. It was revolutionary, but unfinished, and the quirks were just a bit too much. I used it up until 7, and i hated it. I expected to hate 7, too, but i love it. I didn't expect to hate vista so much...i actually looked forward to it.

Sorry, but Vista was a bad OS, and a commercial failure. There was some fault with the hardware makers, but a lot of it is Microsoft's fault.

Anyway, my biggest complaint is that Microsoft is proving that they didn't learn their lesson with the old windows phone platform (you know, the ones with the start menu), the lesson being that just because it is a good idea for a desktop doesn't mean it will work well on a phone...and vice versa.

Edit: also wanted to say that this is not just a knee jerk reaction, i have actually tried the RC. It is a painful experience, and it feels like they are trying to turn my computer into an oversized phone/tablet.

Sent from my ICS Bionic

Last edited: