Windows 10 Will Feature Android App Ports!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-and-iOS-on-windows.jpg

Today at the Build 2015 developers conference Microsoft announced that Windows 10 will be able to run both iOS and Android apps. This is possible thanks to project Islandwood and Project Astoria development kits. This is a pretty cool feature as there are plenty of games and apps that I have actually googled "how to play on a pc". I can imagine all kinds of use cases for this. Android and iOS apps can be quickly and easily ported to Windows 10 thanks to java and C++ coding.

Microsoft is encouraging developers to bring their apps over to the platform and then intigrate windows features like cortana, live windows, xbox live, holograms and more once the bulk of the app is built. This has all been tested over the past few months, and the porting process was seamless with Candy Crush which was ported over to Windows from iOS. It should be noted that Windows 10 won't allow you to install any application rather it is just making porting these apps super easy for developers.

via TheVerge

Last edited by a moderator:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
This is huge IMHO.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd much rather see them create a "bridge" where I could install any android app that my heart desired, but it's definitely a smart move. I have to say, I just keep being more and more impressed with MS's strategies lately.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
Microsoft has been trying to be more 'openly friendly' I guess is the words I'll use. They are inviting everyone to try and use their new platform. I haven't personally checked out the Technical Preview of Win10 yet, but from what I hear people are loving it. This could be super useful to developers and like @FoxKat says: This is huge.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Microsoft has been trying to be more 'openly friendly' I guess is the words I'll use. They are inviting everyone to try and use their new platform. I haven't personally checked out the Technical Preview of Win10 yet, but from what I hear people are loving it. This could be super useful to developers and like @FoxKat says: This is huge.
I never really had an issue with Windows 8, but the preview shows that they actually understand and care about what people want.

I have to give them credit for making the bold move to make 8 so touch-heavy of a ui, but it was too much for the average person to adjust to out of nowhere. 10, so far, blends the best of both worlds quite nicely. I loaded it up on a retired Vista machine at work. It's been pretty laggy, but I'm blaming that completely on the hardware at this point.

thunderbolt_nick

Thunderbolt Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.nickburress.com
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Twitter
@nickburress2k2
I never really had an issue with Windows 8, but the preview shows that they actually understand and care about what people want.

I have to give them credit for making the bold move to make 8 so touch-heavy of a ui, but it was too much for the average person to adjust to out of nowhere. 10, so far, blends the best of both worlds quite nicely. I loaded it up on a retired Vista machine at work. It's been pretty laggy, but I'm blaming that completely on the hardware at this point.

Nice. I'm not ready to boost my machine on Technical Previews only because this is my only computer at the moment. Normally, I'd probably be doing the same thing or at least dual-booting.

Powarun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
I booted Windows 10 on Monday, forgot to tell it to do a clean install instead of an upgrade and it worked fairly well. Then did a clean install and then the start menu didn't work and well it was painful. Finally got my start menu working and was put in the "fast ring" to get bleeding edge software. My computer is living on the edge, half hackintosh half Windows 10 development preview. Looking forward to trying out more.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I've been using it in a VM since it showed up in my MSDN. I'm digging it.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Nice. I'm not ready to boost my machine on Technical Previews only because this is my only computer at the moment. Normally, I'd probably be doing the same thing or at least dual-booting.
When the Windows 8 technical preview came out, I loaded that on my only PC. 'Twas a very interesting experience. More than happy to run 10 on a machine that wouldn't be used at all otherwise.

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
This is pretty cool! This news may mean I consider a Surface device for my next tablet.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
If they can make this work then my next phone or tablet could very well be windows. I love android but there are apps that apple have that are not on android.