Microsoft E3 2013 Press Conference Wrap-Up (Xbox One)

Briankbl

Reaction score
microsoft-xbox-one-e3-2013,M-X-388329-13.jpg

Wow, what a crazy day we had yesterday! The pre-E3 festivities kicked off with Microsoft's press conference, outlining their future plans for the Xbox 360 and Xbox One. Without further ado, let's break down what Microsoft had to offer.

Xbox 360

• Xbox 360 has been redesigned again. Quieter, smaller, on sale now
  • Beginning July 1st and running through to the launch of Xbox One, Xbox LIVE Gold subscribers will get two free games per month starting with Assassin's Creed II and Halo 3

Xbox One

• Release Date is set for November
  • $499, no details on extra sku's
  • Partnering with Twitch for live streaming on Xbox One
  • The first DLC for Battlefield 4 will launch first on Xbox One
  • Marketplace is going to list things using real dollar amounts, no more Microsoft Points
  • Exclusive titles include: Sunset Overdrive, Killer Instinct, D4, Project Spark, Dead Rising 3, Titanfall(XB1, 360, PC), Halo 5, & Below
  • Key demos and trailers shown during the conference include: Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain, Forza 5, Quantum Break, Ryse, Dead Rising 3, Battlefield 4, Witcher 3, & Project Spark

Those are the cliff notes, ladies and gents! All in all, I thought it was a solid event. It was MUCH more focused this time around on what is most important - the games! And they brought them all in full-force. The most intriguing thing I saw was the new "Drivatar" feature in Forza 5 that uses cloud computing to replace the standard car AI with that of your friends and other players online. The cars you are racing against will use the same behavior and tactics as that of real players. Sounds really interesting! For the full press conference, check out the video below!

For more discussions on the Xbox ONE be sure to check out our site dedicated to the XBox ONE

Last edited:

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;fSXicnwHgss]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSXicnwHgss[/video]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Nice write-up Briankbl! Appreciate you sharing this. The exclusive games look very impressive! Although Microsoft focused more on games this time, it still looks like they will have an uphill battle considering Sony's stance on "no DRM" and no "always online." I think the Xbox One will be a huge success, but it will be a hard fight for it to best the PS4.

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
I really want both consoles, but I'm not rich lol. I'll own them both one day.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I really want both consoles, but I'm not rich lol. I'll own them both one day.

Me too once the PS5 and Xbox uh... Two? Are released Lol

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
Me too once the PS5 and Xbox uh... Two? Are released Lol

Sent from my XT926 using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

That is going to be..........so confusing lol

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just thought you guys would like to see this. A great deal of misinformation has been spread about games licensing on the Xbox One. That was definitely Microsoft's fault since they handled the release of info so badly. They are trying to clear it up though and the new policy looks to be even better than the PS4. With the PS4 you can lend one person your physical copy for them to play. On the Xbox One, because it is digital you can lend it to up to 10 family or friends at the same time.

There are more details than just that, so here's a link to the full article over on our Xbox One site: Microsoft Finally Clarifies Xbox One Game Licensing Details in Writing

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
I just thought you guys would like to see this. A great deal of misinformation has been spread about games licensing on the Xbox One. That was definitely Microsoft's fault since they handled the release of info so badly. They are trying to clear it up though and the new policy looks to be even better than the PS4. With the PS4 you can lend one person your physical copy for them to play. On the Xbox One, because it is digital you can lend it to up to 10 family or friends at the same time.

There are more details than just that, so here's a link to the full article over on our Xbox One site: Microsoft Finally Clarifies Xbox One Game Licensing Details in Writing

That article is from last week and has not gone over well with the Xbox community. Read it carefully and you'll see it's exactly as anti-consumer as it's always sounded. The PS4 is infinitely more lenient with used games as there are no new restrictions whatsoever. So no, their used game policy is not better than Sony's, my opinion of course.

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
If you want to play your games without an Internet connection, just get a 360! - Don Mattrick

[video=youtube;bTAKSBvuT-A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTAKSBvuT-A&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Microsoft's Xbox One Game Licensing Detailed in Writing

To be clear... here is Microsoft's stance on game licensing:

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release. Discs will continue to be a great way to install your games quickly.

Access your entire games library from any Xbox One—no discs required: After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend’s house, you can play your games.

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

With PS4, you can lend one copy of your game to a single friend if you own one disk by handing it to them. You obviously cannot play it at the same time, since your friend has the disk. On Xbox One, a list of 10 of your friends or family members that you choose can play any of your games at any time. You lend them out digitally. All of you can play them at the same time, since no physical media is required.

I am not sharing my opinion about this, but will leave that up to you guys to decide. I am simply sharing the facts. There has been a great deal of misinformation around the Xbox One, although obviously that is Microsoft's own fault for not nailing this down sooner. Regardless, it appears that Microsoft is listening to consumers and is trying to find a better solution.

[Editorial comment:] This thread is an Xbox One thread, so I thought it was appropriate to share here. In this thread, there is no reason to make this about one console versus the other since both devices have their appeal to different people. Some folks will choose to purchase one or the other, or both, or none at all. That doesn't mean we must have a console war where we debate which one is the better device.

If any of you guys wish to debate that, we have a thread specifically for that, which you can find here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/gaming-forum/244926-xbox-one-ps-4-a.html. Please do not derail the thread by arguing one console over the other in this thread. Thank you.

Last edited:
OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
Now, back on topic. Regarding the family sharing of games on Xbox One. It is incorrect to say all ten of your friends/family can access your shared games at the same time. The policy clearly states "any one of your family members...". Only one person can access your shared games at a time.

I'm all about honesty, transparency, and facts.

Sharing games shouldn't require a lengthy policy to try and decipher. Read the policy carefully, including the print at the very bottom, and you'll see that their stance on used games is still very anti-consumer.

Last edited: