Microsoft Confirms New Xbox One Policies; No "Always On" & No DRM Restrictions

Briankbl

Reaction score
TechnoBuffalo
[video=youtube;gWXDZXVW438]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWXDZXVW438&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Gremlin

Reaction score
Sorry but for a guy like me I cant afford to buy every game out there. I have friends who can. So they lend me games and I finish it and I give them back. Now I buy one to three games and if they want to play for it I lent them. Now I purchase the games full price, I pay for internet, I pay for their online pass or whatever and now I have to pay another fee for playing a game from a friend?

Is this a car lease or something?? What happened to $40 games long time ago? why not charge for used games before??

Most of the people in other forums i frequent only 3% or so are going to get the 180 and rest are sticking with PS4..

second xbox one is supposed to be running components of windows 8 with a AMD card but yet at E3 they were running it om a HP PC with windows 7 and on a geforce card.. Their response to that debacle was also lame.. saying something it was running dual cards.. but the picture clearly shows Welcome Geoforce GTX on a scrolling LED.. go figure..

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sorry but for a guy like me I cant afford to buy every game out there. I have friends who can. So they lend me games and I finish it and I give them back. Now I buy one to three games and if they want to play for it I lent them. Now I purchase the games full price, I pay for internet, I pay for their online pass or whatever and now I have to pay another fee for playing a game from a friend?

Is this a car lease or something?? What happened to $40 games long time ago? why not charge for used games before??

Most of the people in other forums i frequent only 3% or so are going to get the 180 and rest are sticking with PS4..

second xbox one is supposed to be running components of windows 8 with a AMD card but yet at E3 they were running it om a HP PC with windows 7 and on a geforce card.. Their response to that debacle was also lame.. saying something it was running dual cards.. but the picture clearly shows Welcome Geoforce GTX on a scrolling LED.. go figure..
I think they said it was only one dev running PCs for whatever reason. I dunno what to believe from MS anymore though really.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like how "Patrick Klepick[FONT=Titillium Web, sans-serif]" states that this could mean some bad news for sony. I see it as a good thing all around, it means that manufacturers will be more open to making games because they won't have to worry about DRM anymore. Unless MS drops the price prior to launch sony will still take the cake in my opinion. I talked with a lot of my xbox owner friends and they said that basically you have two systems that will be pretty identical in power, and for most of them they stated that the 100$ savings of the PS4 trumps the xbox. MS has already taken sony's concept of offering free games in their xbox live accounts because it wants to entice people, and i'm sure whatever type of software short comings that one system has over the other at time of launch will be added fairly quickly by the other system.

Another issue with xbox one that i overlooked in my previous post was the streaming services that as of right now you don't need a playstation plus membership to watch them, and you won't need one on the PS4 either. Right now you need an xbox live account to watch streaming content, and i have yet to hear whether or not that will change with the new system.
[/FONT]

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
read the posts on the xboxforum dont have an account there so thought id toss in my 2 cents for fun.

Obviously the always on and drm for used games was a very bad stance to take for a good portion of possible customers.

Food for thought.

All this was done intentionally and planned ahead of time.

They want the policies as set forward at e3.

Knowing full well the backlash it would cause they announce these great features that require these policies.

than they come out and say we heard you and we are reversing all this stuff but also taking away these features that were good.

Is it that hard to give the option on game install.. would you like this to be a drm game( shared family share, no disc needed) or xbox 360 style 1 game 1 console.

Both policies could be run in conjunction. games could be checked just as phones are to insure they are usable when resold. good eisd or whatever.

if you chose install drm you cant resell it except as with the original policy. if you chose xbox360 style than you can take to game stop or just give away as you use too.

Absolutely no reason these both cant be used in conjunction.

I believe this is just a big marketing ploy to get what they want in the long run.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
That could be a possibility. That's a pretty risky way to go about "testing the waters" too though. Maybe they figured they were going to have unhappy customers either way so they used E3 to confirm that.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Reaction score
The damage has been done. People see what ps4 has to offer. M$ has lost it's title as king. Besides at launch all m$ really has to offer just like with Xbox and the 360 the only games it really has to offer is sports title exception of a few none sports ps4 played it smart and offer a variety of different types of games plus close to 15+ titles a launch.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
read the posts on the xboxforum dont have an account there so thought id toss in my 2 cents for fun.
Obviously the always on and drm for used games was a very bad stance to take for a good portion of possible customers.
Food for thought.
All this was done intentionally and planned ahead of time.
They want the policies as set forward at e3.
Knowing full well the backlash it would cause they announce these great features that require these policies.
than they come out and say we heard you and we are reversing all this stuff but also taking away these features that were good.
Is it that hard to give the option on game install.. would you like this to be a drm game( shared family share, no disc needed) or xbox 360 style 1 game 1 console.
Both policies could be run in conjunction. games could be checked just as phones are to insure they are usable when resold. good eisd or whatever.
if you chose install drm you cant resell it except as with the original policy. if you chose xbox360 style than you can take to game stop or just give away as you use too.
Absolutely no reason these both cant be used in conjunction.
I believe this is just a big marketing ploy to get what they want in the long run.

I thought about this also but MS is not that smart. MS has been known to create awful OS's also and then go back and fix what people see wrong with them and then come out with a decent product.
Creating bad policy and then changing it is not a good move by any company.... ever. You create what people want and they will love you for it. You force something upon them that they don't
and they will turn on you. I think that's what happened in this instance, they wanted to try to convert people to something they didn't want and they got bitten for it. I'm sure this wasn't just a move
from E3 to now, seeing as most people knew as of early March that PS4 wasn't going to have DRM, and as of late May MS confirmed it would have DRM. This sounds like a pure ball drop from MS and
their way to pick up the pieces after the fact. No matter if it was planned or not, they put a sour taste in those that were loyal to them and many of them don't want to deal with them anymore.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
what lost me fom any consideration was the remark of if you dont like it you can use the 10 year old 360. Thats the comment that put a sour taste in my mouth and will insure they dont get a dime from me.
But now how do we get who ever did this reversal to go work on the os team so we can get a real desktop os back.

Briankbl

Reaction score
Here is the truth about Xbox One's cancelled "Family Share" feature. This is straight from a Microsoft employee. Imagine how many people would have felt bamboozled after finding this out without being told the truth beforehand!

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be -prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game."

Remember, the claim was that you would be able to share full games with ten of your family members. Microsoft was planning on screwing over everybody and not saying a word about this.

Source:
http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Here is the truth about Xbox One's cancelled "Family Share" feature. This is straight from a Microsoft employee. Imagine how many people would have felt bamboozled after finding this out without being told the truth beforehand!

"When your family member accesses any of your games, they’re placed into a special demo mode. This demo mode in most cases would be the full game with a 15-45 minute timer and in some cases an hour. This allowed the person to play the game, get familiar with it then make a purchase if they wanted to. When the time limit was up they would automatically be -prompted to the Marketplace so that they may order it if liked the game."

Remember, the claim was that you would be able to share full games with ten of your family members. Microsoft was planning on screwing over everybody and not saying a word about this.

Source:
http://www.heyuguysgaming.com/news/12507/heartbroken-xbox-one-employee-lets-rip-must-read

Always a catch. Though im not a big gamer I always leaned towards sony because casual gamers like myself didn't care to have to pay for a xbox live account. I always liked that sony took the free approach. Yeah they made money from the back end with software and features but you were not obligated to commit to a subscription if all you want to do is poke around every now and then. Hardcore gamers who are always online gaming anyway may not care about the drm rules. But the casual gamer who may keep a few maddens or games for the kids are not going to be down with that. I remember as a kid when I wanted a hot game I went to blockbusters to check it out a few times. If I rented it more than twice then I would save up to get it. Be interesting to see how all this plays out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Source:
Heartbroken Xbox One employee lets rip. | HeyUGuys GamingHeyUGuys Gaming

Knew there was a catch. There would be too many losses in sales if they allowed sharing a full game with up to 10 people, that's potentially 9 other sales lost. Heck, if they were going to do that, why not just be like PS+ and throw up the full game "demo" with a timer. That way you don't need to have friends (lol) and wait the 30day time period.

Basically they wanted advertising from their consumers to other potential buyers is what I'm guessing (I mean many of us do this already anyway). It's easy to be under the influence of a friend that says a game is good, rather than seeing it on XBL where many other demos are.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com

Source:

that would of been interseting to see happen. more returns than purchases.

I still say microsoft has joined apple in being too big for their shoes and thought they could do whatever they saw fit and make you eat it.

they didnt learn from windows 8 and im betting they wont learn from this.

this is actually a great time for google to push their chrome os. as im not sure MS will ever be on such a sour note with so many people at the same time again.

I chose ps3 mainly due to the blue ray option. but was looking at the xbox one to see what they did on the complete entertainment side. But it appears they just dont get it. and have no understanding of consumers.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
what lost me fom any consideration was the remark of if you dont like it you can use the 10 year old 360. Thats the comment that put a sour taste in my mouth and will insure they dont get a dime from me.
But now how do we get who ever did this reversal to go work on the os team so we can get a real desktop os back.
100% agree with this.

Now I got a 360 a good 4yrs after it came out just for Gears of War. Well I won't be doing that this time around no matter how cheap it gets. As a gamer, and even though I didn't really support MS, that's a huge slap in the face. With that comment they've turned down a pretty good amount of people.

I don't mind them changing their policy, I kinda expected it. However, to respond to a few questions as they did is what was shocking. Their "my way or the highway" attitude has really turned me away from the One and any consideration into getting one way down the road.

OP
cereal killer

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon

Source:

So let's get this straight, you are using a paste.bin from an anonymous "MS employee" copy and pasted on a site called "Hey U Guys Gaming" as proof that it was a demo service? Thanks for clearing that up for us.

Gizmodo summed it up nicely, we lost..... http://gizmodo.com/the-xbox-one-just-got-way-worse-and-its-our-fault-514411905