Sony E3 2013 Press Conference (PlayStation 4)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
-Xbox won it for me last gen.

-I'm leaning Playstation for this one.

-Might ditch both for PC.

I moved to PC last year. I sold my 360 a couple months ago and my PS3 is used for streaming movies from my computer and BluRays. I have my PC hooked up to my TV via HDMI when I want to play on the TV (usually racing games and the occasional shooter). Games are WAY cheaper on PC and you can get some great games for extremely cheap (less than five bucks). You can always have the latest and greatest in graphics if you upgrade one component of your system from time to time with the money you save on games. I built my computer almost 2 years ago and haven't changed any of the hardware and it stills plays the newest games at full quality. The types of games you can play is much greater too. Also, you can replay games from years back and not worry about not having the console still.

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I actually missed the second half of the conference live. I'm watching it now. A friend told me there were no hiccups, but I think he was just blown away at the key points of the PS4 vs the One so he was a bit excited.

IMO, I don't see how the One could really keep up. It's a neat device and definite entertainment hub, so they are going after a broader market, but I mean e3 is about gamers and they certainly weren't very gamer friendly, again my opinion.

I agree in many respects. From a purely gamer's perspective, Sony's new console did a great job trumping Microsoft in almost every way. Still, some of the Xbox One exclusive games are very exciting. Also, for consumers who do more than just game, the Xbox One has some very compelling new features. If you only view the device as a gaming console and only want to game on it, then the PS4 will probably be the better value. Microsoft is taking a big gamble on adding crazy new features to the Xbox One, but there are many consumers who may want to use these features. Not everyone is only a hardcore gamer.

crxlsturbo

Reaction score
$499 for the xbox one that has no blu ray drive and you have to pay to play online. No thanks. I'll stick to my PC gaming. Granted you have to spend a lot of money for upgrades its well worth. Nothing can beat online PC gaming. Until the day consoles come out where you future proof them they will never compete with PC gaming. Plus, I would hate to shell out $70 for game that really sucks and you had high hopes for. At least with PC games you can never go wrong with it. Real 1080p graphics and more advanced controls. I remember watching a youtube video where they tested a PC gamer VS a xbox 360 gamer head to head in a Call of Duty game. The PC gamer ripped the console gamer. There is really no comparsion but I can understand most people can't afford to build a gaming PC.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I agree in many respects. From a purely gamer's perspective, Sony's new console did a great job trumping Microsoft in almost every way. Still, some of the Xbox One exclusive games are very exciting. Also, for consumers who do more than just game, the Xbox One has some very compelling new features. If you only view the device as a gaming console and only want to game on it, then the PS4 will probably be the better value. Microsoft is taking a big gamble on adding crazy new features to the Xbox One, but there are many consumers who may want to use these features. Not everyone is only a hardcore gamer.

I agree that MS is aiming towards a more "whole entertainment" experience and they definitely deliver in that. However, this is e3, a gamers expo. Yes, they showed some great looking games and some good looking exclusives, but they went against gaming consumers for the most part in their choices of not being very gamer friendly (we all know the points by now so I won't list them).

I'm sure it will sell well and have some high quality exclusive games on it, there's no denying it. However, with the price point and lack of certain key features that we expect from the videogame industry it's not hard to see that the ps4 is more gamer oriented, at this point. That could all change with MS removing restrictions but the damage has already been done.

Also features that the One has may also be capable on the ps4 in the future. However I really don't see Sony going that direction either but who knows.

In an "all-in-one" entertainment aspect, MS seems to have that won. E3 is a gamers expo so the opinions are skewed to those that are "hardcore" gamers.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
This statement is my situation. Both are great consoles but I'm going with the ONE because of all the other bells and whistles. If I didn't care about all the other features and just wanted a gaming console, the PS4 would be a no brainer for for me.

I will say I am curious to see which console does better in regards to sales. If I were a betting man, I would say MS will sell more units because it offers more "flash" aka bells and whistles or to some useless features :) Consumers are attracted to tech that can do everything even if they don't need it or want it. As Steve Jobs said, and I will paraphrase, "People don't know what they want you have to show them." I_think_that is what MS just did with their console, we'll see. Regardless of the outcome, they are both great consoles yet people will continue to beat the drum of which one is better. It's inevitable :big smile:

Reaction score
Already got my pre-order PlayStation taking back their thrown finally

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
$499 for the xbox one that has no blu ray drive and you have to pay to play online. No thanks. I'll stick to my PC gaming. Granted you have to spend a lot of money for upgrades its well worth. Nothing can beat online PC gaming. Until the day consoles come out where you future proof them they will never compete with PC gaming. Plus, I would hate to shell out $70 for game that really sucks and you had high hopes for. At least with PC games you can never go wrong with it. Real 1080p graphics and more advanced controls. I remember watching a youtube video where they tested a PC gamer VS a xbox 360 gamer head to head in a Call of Duty game. The PC gamer ripped the console gamer. There is really no comparsion but I can understand most people can't afford to build a gaming PC.

The xbox one will have blu-ray and the PS4 will have a subscription cost to play online too. I however agree with you, I'll stick to my PC gaming. I buy new games a month after they release for usually less than half of the day one price.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thread reopened.

While we appreciate discussion about a topic, and a piece of hardware we haven't even touched yet, FORUM RULES APPLY. There will be no more attacking others, whether article writer or staff member.

Carry on.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont know...but every since the Atari 2600 and Coleco Vision...I always had more than one console. ( I made have just told my age.....:redface::redface::redface: )

I hate what MS is doing...but I plan on getting both consoles again. But...I might buy more games on the PS4.

hotice

Reaction score
It's too bad they're going to make you pay to play multiplayer games. I know the XBox 360 has done this but to me, it's a very good reason to stay on the PS3.

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
It's too bad they're going to make you pay to play multiplayer games. I know the XBox 360 has done this but to me, it's a very good reason to stay on the PS3.

I know that it's a disappointment, and this post isn't going to comfort anyone who is upset about this, but PlayStation Plus is a fantastic service that offers a ton of value regardless. In particular, cloud saves...that alone is worth the price of the program. Then on top of that, the Instant Game Collection offers free full games every month. It's something I would highly recommend to everyone. Amazing value. My opinion, of course.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
Here is an instructional video from Sony regarding how to share PS4 games. I know some people have already seen this, but for those that haven't, enjoy!

[video=youtube;kWSIFh8ICaA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWSIFh8ICaA&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
It was a direction that Sony was inevitably going to take, many speculated this when PSN+ released and now its true. I certainly don't mind it at all, in fact, in the 30days I had it after their 1mo shutdown due to hacking I really enjoyed it. So for $60/yr it's a fair deal, considering how much I play online too. I'm sure I'll whine about it at first, but if their services meet or exceed my expectations then I'll be a happy customer.

Now the only thing that I am expecting as a future paying customer is network stability. PSN used to constantly go down even after the major hack, very annoying. So what I'm expecting now that PSN+ is mandatory to play multiplayer is network stability and reliability. That's the one thing that Xbox Live has over PSN currently, a very stable network with very little hiccups. PSN has been very much like Android, a couple bumps along the way (minus the major hack), but it's been good lately. There have been network stability improvements and also UI improvements. I'm excited to see what PSN looks like once the PS4 releases.

Last edited:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Regarding online play on ps4, I did find this information though:

"The price of the PlayStation Plus service won't see any increase with the changes coming to the service with the PS4 launch. SCE America VP of Publisher & Developer Relations Adam Boyes confirmed to Joystiq during a roundtable that the
price will remain $50 in North America. Boyes also said "all video services [on the PS4] will be outside of Plus."

Furthermore, free-to-play games won't require PlayStation Plus for online multiplayer. During a separate rountable Joystiq was present at, Sony Worldwide Studios President Shuhei said, "As far as free-to-play games are concerned, it's the publisher's decision whether they put it inside or outside of PS Plus."

The news follows confirmation that a PlayStation Plus subscription is required for online multiplayer on the PS4. Existing PS Plus subscriptions will extend onto the console's line-up when it launches this holiday."

So from what I'm getting from this, I'm willing to bet that exclusives will probably be pay-to-play online; Uncharted, newest GoW will be multiplayer, etc. However, 3rd party games (for myself, hopefully most sports games) may or may not fall withing the PSN+ services. Definitely a "wait and see" thing though.