Sony Officially Unveiled the PlayStation 4

Briankbl

Reaction score
sony-ps4.jpg

It's been a long wait for some, but the next-generation of gaming is almost upon us! On February 20th, 2013, Sony held it's PlayStation Meeting conference, finally taking the wraps off what they have in store for the future of the PlayStation brand. The PlayStation Meeting lasted a whopping two hours and divulged tons of information: games, specs, the new controller, and of course the official name of their new home entertainment console - PlayStation 4. The conference was very "games" focused and really brought the point home that the PS4 was going to be a very developer-friendly console, unlike it's predecessor.

PlayStation 4 Features

• Shut down your system mid-game, your game state is saved in RAM. Next time you power up your PS4, your game instantly boots up where you left off. No more loading game saves every time you turn off/on your console.
  • Spectate games your friends are currently playing.
  • Take over your friend's controller to help them get through a difficult spot in a game.
  • The DualShock 4 is completely redesigned. New triggers, enhanced latency, enhanced vibration, lightbar tracked via PlayStation Eye camera, touchpad, speaker, headset jack, new analog sticks, and includes a new Share button.
  • The Share button allows you to take screenshots and record gameplay footage and upload them to the web.
  • The PlayStation 4 can stream games and game demo's from the cloud. No more downloading gigs and gigs of files.
  • If you do want to download a game, all it takes is a fraction of the download to take place before you can begin playing.
  • Remote Play is returning from the PS3, and is much more of a focal point this go around. It allows you to play your PS4 games on your PS Vita.
  • PS4 will utilize smartphones and tablets to access and communicate with their friend list and play select titles in some capacity from PS4.
  • Background downloads, even with the PS4 in a low-power state.
  • Blu-Ray drive is 3x faster than that found in the PS3.
  • Future goal is to be able to stream all games from the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS Vita to the PS4.

PlayStation 4 Technical Specifications

• CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar", 8 cores
  • GPU: 1.84 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™ Graphics Core Next engine
  • Memory: GDDR5 8GB unified memory
  • HDD: Included (unspecified capacity)
  • Optical Drive: BD 6xCAV, DVD 8xCAV
  • USB: 3.0
  • Communication: Ethernet, IEEE 802.11 b/g/n, Bluetooth® 2.1 (EDR)
  • AV output: HDMI, Analog-AV out, Digital Output (optical)

DualShock 4 Technical Specifications

• External Dimensions: Approx. 162mm x 52mm x 98mm
  • Weight: Approx. 210g (tentative)
  • Buttons: PS button, SHARE button, OPTIONS button, Directional buttons (Up/Down/Left/Right), Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square), R1/L1/R2/L2/R3/L3, Right stick, Left stick, Touch Pad Button, Touch Pad 2 Point Touch Pad, Click Mechanism, Capacitive Type
  • Other Features: Light Bar, Vibration, Built-in Mono Speaker
  • Ports: USB (Micro B), Extention Port, Stereo Headset Jack
  • Wireless communication: Bluetooth® Ver2.1+EDR

PlayStation 4 Eye Camera Technical Specifications

• External Dimension: Approx. 186mm x 27mm x 27mm
  • Weight: Approx. 183g
  • Video Pixel: (Maximum) 1280 x 800 pixel x 2
  • Video Frame Rate: 1280x800 pixel @ 60fps, 640x400 pixel @ 120fps, 320x192 pixel @ 240fps
  • Video Format: RAW, YUV (uncompressed)
  • Lens: Dual Lenses, F value/F2.0 fixed focus
  • Field-of-View: 85 degrees
  • Microphone: 4 Channel Microphone Array
  • Connection Type: PS4 dedicated connector (AUX connector)
  • Cable Length: Approx. 2m (tentative)

Sony's PlayStation 4 is definitely shaping up to be a powerhouse of a console. The current confirmed launch titles include
Killzone: Shadow Fall, Watch Dogs, DriveClub, The Witness, and Knack. No price details as of yet, but we did get a launch window of "this holiday season". With a very developer-friendly console and some amazing first-party developers, Sony is poised to rule your living room yet again! What fascinates me most are the social features involving game spectating, sharing your gameplay clips to your favorite social site, and streaming games and demo's from the cloud. I was a big advocate for OnLive, so these features are right up my alley. The entire PlayStation 4 conference can be found below.

What do you guys think? Let us know in the comments below!

[video=youtube;RiNGZMx2vhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RiNGZMx2vhY[/video]

Source/Credit: PS4 release date, news and features | News | TechRadar

trestevenson

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Huawei Nexus 6P
This is going to be my Christmas gift to myself, most definitely!

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
This is going to be my Christmas gift to myself, most definitely!

Sony's conference won me over. I waited to see what the new Xbox One was going to offer...Microsoft's conference scared me lol.

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

Psykho

Reaction score
I'll just have to get the PS4 and X1 like I did this gen and play the PS4 exclusives and everything else on X1

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I will be paying attention to both the ps4 and Xbox. They both seemed to offer something I want. I am not a hardcore gamer so my reason of choice may be different from others. Brian keep posting with updates it really is helpful to the community especially those on the fence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Briankbl

Briankbl

Reaction score
I will be paying attention to both the ps4 and Xbox. They both seemed to offer something I want. I am not a hardcore gamer so my reason of choice may be different from others. Brian keep posting with updates it really is helpful to the community especially those on the fence.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I will, especially when the E3 press conferences roll around on June 10th. We should even get price details as well as more solid release dates. Looking forward to seeing what the big three have in store for us this year!

Sent from my Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Seen this back when it was live. Watch Dogs....had me sold and another game. Even tho Watch Dogs will be on the 360 and PS3....I have decided to wait for the next gen consoles and get games then. After debating about the controllers right before the PS4 announcement....I came to the conclusion that MS got it right overall with the 360 controller. And its no surprise that the PS4 controller took cues from the 360 controller...

I have both the PS3 and 360....I hope I can get the PS4 and XBox One....flaws n all... If I dont...I am leaning towards one, the PS4 now....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
How did the ps4 controller take cues from the Xbox???? They took cues from the vita...

Brightonbrad

Reaction score
How did the ps4 controller take cues from the Xbox???? They took cues from the vita...

Exactly. I Dont know what cues were taken. Because I see none. Ps4 controller looks better and has more features Xbox looks exactly the same and with same features of 360

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
great article. Looking forward to your next article once e3 rolls around. Hopefully there is much more news and surprises to come from Sony.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score

Exactly. I Dont know what cues were taken. Because I see none. Ps4 controller looks better and has more features Xbox looks exactly the same and with same features of 360

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

The PS4 controller has more material to hold on to, more support for the base of the thumbs. This actually makes the 360 controller better to hold cuz u can rest the base of your thumbs better.
The PS4 analog sticks are not so convex. The sticks have a lil lip.
The PS4 bottom triggers are curved in, more concave. I didnt realize how much better this was on the 360 until I played NFS MW on my PS3 recently.....

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The PS4 controller has more material to hold on to, more support for the base of the thumbs. This actually makes the 360 controller better to hold cuz u can rest the base of your thumbs better.
The PS4 analog sticks are not so convex. The sticks have a lil lip.
The PS4 bottom triggers are curved in, more concave. I didnt realize how much better this was on the 360 until I played NFS MW on my PS3 recently.....

This must be one of the "eye of the beholder" things lol :p cause I just don't see it.. with the touch interface being put on there like the vita has, my mind goes right to vita when I see that....

It'll be interesting to see how they integrate that into game play...and how well its adapted too...I have a feeling it's gonna be hit and miss.