Sony Xperia Z3v Announced for Verizon - Coming Oct 23rd for $200 On-Contract

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no stock android, no thank you. i like the design but these oems just butcher android and it losses its smoothness.
+1 to what cr6 said.

Also, the Xperia UI is minimalistic, not quite as much as Moto, but it definitely is a very close to stock Android experience. It is especially minimal compared to say, TouchWiz, which was known to really cripple older Samsung devices. However, devices such as the s5, and soon to be released Note 4, really don't feel any slower because of TouchWiz since they're such powerful devices.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
As readily available as Sony makes their source to devs this will be easy to strip down. Most people I see speak about stock Android run so many tweaks and full out ROMs that it doesn't even matter how the phone started out of the box. The last thing I'd do is ignore a device like this simply because it isn't stock, though we may see a device edition as well. I would only pass it by because of the size, though I'll have to see how it compares to the Turbo. Kinda want to see the M9 now that I've waited this long.

P. effing S. These digital keyboards suck. Give me back my hard keys

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The only issue with this is.. It's being released with outdated specs.. But so is the moto x Gen 2..And that really makes me scratch my head.. Why would moto do that, when they're building the turbo for several different carriers?? If the X is your flagship.. I'd have it be the power house and rival the nexus.. I guess it's money in their pocket either way.. But it still has me baffled..

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Outdated specs? My god are we really that jaded? What's so outdated about the specs? The SnapDragon 801 ONLY running at 2.3 instead of 2.5?
Or are we talking about the 3GB of RAM...er wait...
Maybe it's the base model starts at 32GB and NOT 16???
Yea, heck with that. Piece of junk. ;)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Doesn't BlackBerry still use hard keys? LOL ok ok...probably not the best example.
FWIW....I miss my Razr flip phone! Candybar Bastages!

S5 tap'n

xratablancax

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 no root :(
Am I one of the few people going nuts about this phone? I know the Droid Turbo is the obvious choice in regards of power and speed, however I've always been fond of Sony products, never had issues with any Sony phone. I love how they look so professional and "classy". If any of you expert mobile users can help me go the right path, I would really appreciate it. :)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Sony makes a fine product, no doubt. I've never owned a Sony phone so I can't speak to that but like all manufacturers there are some things they do exceptionally well and other things they miss the boat on. The Turbo is a nice piece but won't meet everyone's needs and the jury is still out on the camera. Motorola doesn't have the best reputation with their phones so they're starting in the red, so to speak.

Sony has FAR more experience in the world of cameras and optics, and their Camberley l cameras are in many cases considered best of class such as their so I'd expect it will be a performer here too. The phone is sharp-no doubt so it's not fair for me to say I'm Motorola Turbo all the way but I'm a Moto fan and so I'm already biased. I'll have to see them side by side to say decisively that it's not a viable choice however I'd probably go Turbo even if the Sony was as good as the Turbo or even slightly better overall.

Last edited:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Outdated specs? My god are we really that jaded? What's so outdated about the specs? The SnapDragon 801 ONLY running at 2.3 instead of 2.5?
Or are we talking about the 3GB of RAM...er wait...
Maybe it's the base model starts at 32GB and NOT 16???
Yea, heck with that. Piece of junk. ;)
Yeah.. The processor being an older unit.. Ram.. But the z4 already being discussed is truly epic though.. 4 gigs of ram, an 810 processor, with next gen adreno..

Sorry.. I've bought plenty of phones with "dated" tech.. Motorolas usually.. I'm just glad to see that moto is on parts or slightly ahead right now.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Water proof AND an SD Card slot. Specs look pretty damn close to Turbo.

3gigs vs 2gigs of ram is more future proof, although the SD slot is also part of that equation.

2gigs of ram is going to become pretty quickly stressed. With the switch to Art, I think apps will utilize 20% more ram (they do on storage, not sure about ram).

One of the great things about mobile phones is widgets and apps automatically fetching and storing content for later. That means those apps need to keep running in the background, and that takes memory.

I think ram and storage are where a lot of OEM's still aren't getting it quite right. The cpu and display capabilities are already well beyond what most people need for a good while.

xratablancax

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 no root :(
3gigs vs 2gigs of ram is more future proof, although the SD slot is also part of that equation.

2gigs of ram is going to become pretty quickly stressed. With the switch to Art, I think apps will utilize 20% more ram (they do on storage, not sure about ram).

One of the great things about mobile phones is widgets and apps automatically fetching and storing content for later. That means those apps need to keep running in the background, and that takes memory.

I think ram and storage are where a lot of OEM's still aren't getting it quite right. The cpu and display capabilities are already well beyond what most people need for a good while.
Wait... Xperia z3v has 3Gb ram and so does turbo.. Maybe I'm mistaken.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
And better GPU in the Adreno 420.