Sony Xperia Z3v Now Available on Verizon

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Don't decide on one phone or the other by the number of bars of signal that are displayed There is no "standard" that says each bar represents a specific signal level. Some manufacturers may use different amounts of signal level to indicate one, two, three, four, and five bars. Number of bars is a"relative" indication of signal level and should only be used as a reference guide for that phone only and not as a comparison.

Also dBm of signal isn't necessarily a good comparison either unless we're comparing two of the same devices. Different radios (i.e. different manufacturers), can perform differently even if receiving the same dBm of signal. Signal level is only a part of the equation. Quality of signal is far more important than level or dBm. For instance my MAXX right now has only 2 bars of 4G/1G, and is at 115 dBm of 4G but is at 91 dBm of 1G.

3b7beec1d8bfdc624ad0cd428cd70ba2.jpg

2 bars would for most be considered relatively poor signal level however, with a clean signal (good performing radios), even low signals can carry more data faster and longer. The only real way to compare is side by side phone calls and side by side speed tests while noting dBm on both phones, and across various signal conditions.

Also as I've said before, even a mediocre radio can perform well if it has a good antenna. Antennas are a critical part of radio transceivers and can be the deciding factor between a clean signal and successful communications and a dirty, distorted, multipath signal that hinders proper communication.

Everyone knows I'm a Motorola fanboy so what I'm about to say may not come as a surprise to most, however there is plenty of real world fact and history behind my claim. Motorola is King in the world of radio frequency transmission and reception and in the realm of antenna technology. Just open nearly any first responder's vehicle and look at the name in their radio. Look at the one they carry on their belt or in their pocket. Look at the radios the US military branches carry. Look at the radios used to communicate in space exploration by NASA. I'm going to bet that the overwhelming majority will be Motorola.

That said, successful communications and data transmission/reception with less than the best radios and antennas can happen for most in good coverage areas. Where a good communications system outshines one that isn't so good is in fringe areas of coverage, and in locations with high levels of RF interference. In these extreme conditions is where a top quality transceiver and antenna system is mission critical and the reason why Motorola is the radio of choice for more military and first response teams than any other.

Often we forget these smartphones we carry now are still first and foremost transceivers, phones if you will. The quality of the call, the clarity of voice transmission should be something we hold high when choosing one over another. There is only one problem. Most of us don't do test calls to a land line and listen to how we sound on the other end. Some of the lousiest sounding calls I received are consistently those from iPhones and Samsungs. So bad in fact that I can almost tell someone what phone they are on when they call me. By contrast calls from Motorola phones are often so clear and crisp that I mistake them for land line calls.

Try it yourself. Give your phone to someone else and have them call you on a land line. Then listen to the caller and note how clear and easy they are to understand. Are they muffled? Can you tell s from f or t from p in their voice? How natural do they sound? Do they sound good in your mind? If not, then you won't sound good to others.

I have yet to have someone tell me they can't understand what I'm saying or to have them mistake the word suck for something far less appropriate. When I spell my name to people on the other end they don't question whether it's a t or a p in my last name. Unfortunately nobody seems to do these kinds of tests when reviewing cellular phones today. If they did, I think we might find some very different results than what we might expect.
Have you tried Verizon HD voice yet? It's pretty amazing how clear it sounds.

pchain

Reaction score
I'm pretty thrilled with the battery so far on the Z3v. It's 5-6 hours screen time better than my S3 without turning anything except Bluetooth off. I was hesitant getting a phone without a replaceable battery but this will easily last me a day no sweat and then charging it on my qi overnight.

I'm really anxious to see the battery performance of the Turbo once its out.

pchain

Reaction score
My latest battery performance on my Z3v.... 9 hours 43 mins of actual screen time. Everything running except Bluetooth, battery helper modes totally off, on WiFi in a poor reception area. Not too bad!
f1c1e1907e4c284e86a325e7ccf25e6c.jpg
2c71307383a5b7acc6f2ca217980eef6.jpg
c7abacd59c5541b8f2ba79a355d583a3.jpg

pchain

Reaction score
Ha ha! What parent wouldn't want to brag about their children!

Reactions: cr6

FatCatTR200

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Razr HD
I checked out the Z3V & Turbo yesterday at my local VZW. Using a Razr HD, the Turbo had better signal by about 2-5 dBa on average for 4g. As low/good as 51 for the Turbo on 4G. Moved the phones side-by-side within a foot or so and only in a few short instances did the Razr HD have better signal. The Sony, 2-3 feet to the left/west, had at least 30 dBa worse signal than my HD. Granted, in this spot within the store, my HD had slightly worse dBA on 4G - about 5-10 worse. The Sony showed at its worst a 113 figure which equated to 2 bars. All were set to Global. Will return and compare on another day as well as check the S5, but, OUCH.
Side note - in a poor reception area, my Razr HD may get a 101 dBa figure and have 1 bar.
I really want to get the Z3V, but cannot handle a lack of reception.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
imo, comparing the dBa of two completely different models of phone is not a good determination of true radio quality. They are built different and as such are going to read different. They should have also both been set to CDMA/LTE instead of Global.

S5 tap'n

pchain

Reaction score
I'm in a terrible signal 4G area and haven't had a single signal issue, with my Z3v and very little battery drain for such a weak signal. I was worried about radio quality never having a Sony before, but don't have any worries now after testing it for almost two weeks.

And yes absolutely change the settings from global to LTE/CDMA as Cr6 suggests.

I've come to the conclusion over the years that the only way to truly test reception is testing the phone in the places you normally go. Too many unknown variables at stores and what others say about their reception.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Hey all, has anyone confirmed or debunked whether the Z3V can do simultaneous voice and data on the Cellular network at this time, or is it also suffering from the same issues as the Droid Turbo and Moto X 2014? We're not asking if it can do voice and WIFI data, but voice and Cellular data ONLY.

pchain

Reaction score
As soon as you answer a call (with WiFi turned off) the message in the notification area says mobile data not available.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
As soon as you answer a call (with WiFi turned off) the message in the notification area says mobile data not available.

Just as I thought.

So again, it's NOT a Motorola issue, it's a Verizon one. They didn't meet the timelines necessary to have VoLTE up and running for these phones (Verizon branded phones), and so the Droid Turbo, Moto X 2014, AND the Xperia Z3V ALL do NOT do simultaneous voice and data over cellular.

pchain

Reaction score
Just as I thought.

So again, it's NOT a Motorola issue, it's a Verizon one. They didn't meet the timelines necessary to have VoLTE up and running for these phones (Verizon branded phones), and so the Droid Turbo, Moto X 2014, AND the Xperia Z3V ALL do NOT do simultaneous voice and data over cellular.
Yep, I am thinking it was Verizon's decision and not the OEM. Probably based on reducing the per device cost. I happen to think its a very POOR decision by the way. They say it will be another 30-45 days before the new method is implemented, but you know what kind of track record Verizon has with their timelines and promises....