Micro SD cards for HD/MAXX HD | Class 10 32GB vs 64GB

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
EDIT: Class 10 SDXC 64GB cards WILL NOT WORK in most if not all Motorola Devices, the HD/MAXX HD included, especially if your device is running 4.0 or higher.

Some resources:
Motorola DROID RAZR HD - Full phone specifications
^^Link shows the max expandable card is 32GB, along with most other Moto phones, and if you browse to the SGSIII it says up to 64GB, so this info should be somewhat accurate and trustworthy.

SanDisk 64gb MicroSd woes
^^Another user from another forum experimenting as well and posting his findings, again, 64GB not working out so well.

Basically what I found out was, that the card would work at first, and appear to work. But as time went on, and as I started to use the storage manager in Storage Settings to move items over, it would eventually fail, then tell me the card was blank, which indeed the card would go blank.

So the 64GB cards are a no go for the HD/MAXX HD and most likely most other Moto phones as well.

This is older, but another freebie: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=15269669#post15269669

EDIT 2: More info in this post here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...x-hd-class-10-32gb-vs-64gb-3.html#post2339279

And to add, its appears to me that more ppl had better luck with SDXC cards in Gingerbread than ICS, ICS seems to be the one that doesn't care for SDXC cards, just my observation though, I'm thinking, based on some articles, that will change and Jelly Bean will have full support for SDXC and the exFAT files system.

Ok, here's the purpose of this thread, to see if the larger 64GB SDXC Class 10 cards really do work in the Motorola RAZR HD/MAXX HD devices.

I bought one of the 64GB cards a while ago when Amazon had them on sale, and was delighted when I popped the card in and it formatted and worked! As I started to use it, I would notice it would not work properly at some points and had to pop the card out and insert it into my laptop to get media and stuff on the card. Eventually it just stopped working in the phone all together.

Here's what would not work:
-From Storage in Settings; I was unable to "Manage internal storage" which would automatically transfer all your media to the external card; just would not work
-Was unable to use file browser apps (ie; Root Explorer) to manually move files back and forth
-Even plugging the phone in via USB cable and using mass storage and media transfer options, I was unable to move stuff back and from to the card from either the internal storage or from my computer

My observations after doing some testing (still testing):
-Formatting the card in Windows to default, the popping the card in the phone, allowing the phone to format blank SD card = everything would work fine!
-Going to keep testing and using and noticing my observations with what I do before hand if it stops working again
-So far I can't reproduce the errors again on purpose; though I haven't tried removing the storage without "properly" ejecting the card yet​

I did find a few resources though that may or may not hint towards the 64GB card NOT working properly in the HD/MAXX HD.
In these two sites I found; 32GB card and 64GB card, the compatible phones are listed and for the 64GB card the HD/MAXX HD are not listed.

SanDisk® MicroSDHC 32GB Class 10 Memory Card with Adapter - SDSDQUA-032G-A11A

SanDisk® 64GB Class 10 MicroSDXC Card with Adapter - SDSDQUA-064G-A11A

[There is a compatibility section for each card; note that the HD/MAXX HD are listed for the 32GB card and NOT for the 64GB card; does this hold truth?]

So my question is this - ANYONE else with a RAZR HD or RAZR MAXX HD with a 64GB Class 10 SDXC card have any issues at all? <-- Please answer this for me.

-If so, what are your observations?

So far I was able to get my 64GB working again and its still working, I'll keep this updated if it stops working again and what my observations were before hand.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had all kinds of problems with my 32gb that I bought online for really cheap (that exact one, but through ebay / amazon). On the M and on the Maxx HD... it was just always real finicky, and things would randomly go to the Lost.Dir folder.

Best Buy has Sandisk Ultra Class 10's on sale (just picked up a 16gb for $10). I'm going to stick them into my Maxx HD (yes...) and see how it goes this time around - 16gb vs. 32gb, Best Buy vs. random online... we'll see. :blink:

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I had all kinds of problems with my 32gb that I bought online for really cheap (that exact one, but through ebay / amazon). On the M and on the Maxx HD... it was just always real finicky, and things would randomly go to the Lost.Dir folder.

Best Buy has Sandisk Ultra Class 10's on sale (just picked up a 16gb for $10). I'm going to stick them into my Maxx HD (yes...) and see how it goes this time around - 16gb vs. 32gb, Best Buy vs. random online... we'll see. :blink:

The 32GB card you originally used, was it Class 10? And I didn't buy from the links I posted, just reference lol

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same exact one, ultra, class 10, heat/water proof, etc...

Seeing that other thread, I'm really beginning to think it's those specific ones... whether it's the class 10, weather proof coating maybe, don't know...

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, same exact one, ultra, class 10, heat/water proof, etc...

Seeing that other thread, I'm really beginning to think it's those specific ones... whether it's the class 10, weather proof coating maybe, don't know...

Hmm, interesting, which one did you say you were going to try out? Link? The non water proof one?

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I literally just picked it up a few hours ago, stuck it right in, but haven't put anything on it yet.

Sent from my Maxx HD

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll start transferring stuff over from my internal storage over the next couple of hours and see how it goes, as well as changing the camera default.

One disclaimer, I'm running the JB leak... Though the problems I described above were a month or two ago, and pure stock

Sent from my Maxx HD

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sweet, thanks man, let me know what happens.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
And now the 64GB card isn't working. Wonderful.

Tried to use the movie media from the Storage settings in system settings to move movies over to the SD card, 366MB worth, and it errored out half way, and won't even make another attempt at moving them over.

I then used a file browser to manually move a file over and it won't budge, but won't give me an error (Root Explorer don't at least) and when doing so also wiped the card lol I went back into storage and unmounted the card, then mounted it (without actually take the card out) and it tells me blank SD card. What the heck...

EDIT: Card was wiped after storage errored out trying to move my movie files over.

Then connecting it to my PC, the sd card don't show up at all.

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, thanks to a little research, GoCliffGo found a nice little resource page that does in fact state that the max external storage card the HD/MAXX HD can handle (and most other Moto phones as well) is 32GB.

Motorola DROID RAZR HD - Full phone specifications

If you go to the page for the SGS3, you will see it says it supports up to 64GB, which seems to go along other users saying that the 64GB does work in the SGS3.

So, guess the 64GB card really won't work in any Moto phones.... sad face :(

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I still wonder about this specific brand... I never had more than 32. Though, it did work, it was just finicky and lost stuff a lot...

Sent from my Maxx HD

OP
macpro88

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Interesting, I still wonder about this specific brand... I never had more than 32. Though, it did work, it was just finicky and lost stuff a lot...

Sent from my Maxx HD

Odd. I have a 32 Class 10 on order, SanDisk Ultra. So we shall see if I have any issues with it. If so I'll try to find one that doesn't have all those coatings on it for water proof etc...

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I guess I could've simply gotten a bad one, too.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
I've been looking at it today when I've had the time, lots and lots of people saying 64 doesn't work for more than a few minutes and only "when it wants to." Obviously other peoples word for it is not concrete evidence but it's looking more and more to me that it's just not meant to have more than 32g in it.

Edit: Then again i just found this link..... http://www.shopandroid.com/motorola-razr-hd-all-microsd-cards.htm which has a 64 gb card advertised specifically for the HD.... I don't know.