Method to disable 4g

mm81

Reaction score
Of course there is no "Disable 4G" option in the settings for the Thunderbolt. I love the 4G network but I do not need blazing fast data at the expense of battery life ALL the time.

Anyone find a way to disable 4G yet?

Dr.Soul

Reaction score
try downloading extended controls from the market. It has a 4g toggle for wimax it may work for the thunderbolt not sure dont get mine till tomorrow

Jahmakan

Reaction score
Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I believe you could just take out the SIM card.

mkjellgren

Reaction score
Might not be exactly what you're looking for, but I believe you could just take out the SIM card.

I'm pretty sure the phone won't work at all without the sim card.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums App

Shelooga

Reaction score
extended controls doesnt seem to toggle it on and off. the toggle stays off. my battery is suffering the same fate.

Dr.Soul

Reaction score
extended controls doesnt seem to toggle it on and off. the toggle stays off. my battery is suffering the same fate.

well maybe they will update the app soon

I just emailed the dev, i will post his response

Last edited:

shortsxit

Reaction score
I doubt any existing apps will toggle 4G. Developers will have to rewrite for this, but they'll be out in now time.

pandapaul

Reaction score
I'm looking into it. I'd like to have a little widget switch for LTE myself, so if I figure anything out I'll let you all know.

Update 9pm EST 3-17-11: Making some progress, but there seems to be some hidden force that's keeping my network preference modification from sticking. That and the default value isn't what I expected, so I'm a little in the dark at the moment. Need some Thunderbolt source from HTC.

Update 11pm EST 3-17-11: Still trying to work through things, but I thought I should mention that there is a manual method to doing this that's the same as on other devices. Go into testing mode by dialing *#*#4636#*#* > phone information > Scroll down and Select preferred network type to be "CDMA auto (PRL)" rather than the default "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto"

Last edited:

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
Scary, I work in the high desert. I go home to Los Angeles tonight. Been reading about how 4G destroys battery life. Yeeehaw. :p Not looking forward to this.

Madcatzfight

Reaction score
I'm looking into it. I'd like to have a little widget switch for LTE myself, so if I figure anything out I'll let you all know.

Update 9pm EST 3-17-11: Making some progress, but there seems to be some hidden force that's keeping my network preference modification from sticking. That and the default value isn't what I expected, so I'm a little in the dark at the moment. Need some Thunderbolt source from HTC.

Update 11pm EST 3-17-11: Still trying to work through things, but I thought I should mention that there is a manual method to doing this that's the same as on other devices. Go into testing mode by dialing *#*#4636#*#* > phone information > Scroll down and Select preferred network type to be "CDMA auto (PRL)" rather than the default "CDMA + LTE/EvDo auto"

Thanks This worked for me.dancedroid

hermindseye

Reaction score
I'm sorry - I'm a total newbie here - - what does "Go into testing mode by dialing *#*#4636#*#* > phone information" actually mean? Is that a phone call? I feel stupid asking.....

Last edited:

Shelooga

Reaction score

Thanks This worked for me.dancedroid

im just on 3g now. i dont know why i say that like i didnt expect it. it was meant to express that it also worked for me. im just an idiot and like to hear myself type. anywho, thanks for the tip, lets see how my battery holds up now when idle

PatrickJ

Reaction score
So if we only have 3g access what should the tab be on? Right now it's on CDMA+LTE/EVDO AUTO.

I noticed a radio tab too...clicking the "turn radio off" will help battery life?