Has anyone been able to disable 4G/LTE?

New Daddy

Reaction score
In an attempt to save battery life, I've followed the steps found in the internet to disable 4G LTE and use only 3G.
Motorola Droid 4: Disable 4G/LTE

When the 4G is disable, however, certain apps that require data connection stop working. For example, weather bug, shazam, etc. Some continue to work, like Gmail.

Any idea why this is happening? Has anyone actually been able to disable 4G and still use all their apps?

thegreatone3

Reaction score
I use an app called 4G Toggle found in the Google Play Market. "CDMA only" disables 4G but keeps 3G so apps should work just fine.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

ramar

Reaction score
4G toggle works for me. I'm toggled to 3G (CDMA) as I type this reply.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

OP
N

New Daddy

Reaction score
4G toggle works for me. I'm toggled to 3G (CDMA) as I type this reply.

Sent from my DROID4 using DroidForums

Ok, the following is the note from the developer: "Note: There is currently no way to directly turn 4G on or off on the Verizon devices from a widget or application. This application takes you to the option directly so that you can make the change without much hassle. This is the fastest way available for the moment until Verizon releases more information, or an update is made that changes this. This application will be kept up-to-date with the most recent method."

Since my native 4G setting doesn't work well, which is the crux of my problem, this app is not going to solve the problem. I wonder why some apps stop working at all in 3G in my case.

podspi

Reaction score
You might want to try disabling LTE and then rebooting. I've never had a data problem when switching between the two that hasn't been resolved via a quick reboot. That being said, I generally keep 4G on unless I'm traveling and don't know when I'll be able to get to a wall.

OP
N

New Daddy

Reaction score
You might want to try disabling LTE and then rebooting. I've never had a data problem when switching between the two that hasn't been resolved via a quick reboot. That being said, I generally keep 4G on unless I'm traveling and don't know when I'll be able to get to a wall.

Thanks for the tip. I tried and rebooting seems to resolve the issue, but only temporarily. After a while, the same apps stop working again saying they don't have data connection.