Can you disable 4G?

Airman1947

Reaction score
Has anybody figured out a way to disable 4G on the Spectrum 2 and just use 3G?

In the past, when I had the Motorola Droid 4, I did this by using the app "LTE OnOff". All it is, is a shortcut to the submenu "Testing > Phone Info" under the hidden menu (which you used to be able to access by dialing *#*#4636#*#* on older phones).

But whenever I try it on the Spectrum 2, it looks like it opens then menu, but then I get the Popup error message "Note: This application does not work on this device," and it closes. I've tried other apps like the old "Phone Info" app, and "Hidden Menus", but they all basically try to lead you to the same place (Testing > Phone Info), and you get the same error message. Very strange. It's like this menu is disabled on this phone.

I've also tried going into the phone settings under "Settings > More... > Mobile Networks > System Select > Network Mode", but there's only an option for "LTE/CDMA" (4G/3G). There's no option for "CDMA Only" (3G only). Any ideas? Thanks so much in advance!

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd also like to know. I have also tried an app called Network, along with the ones you stated, and it too gives the same error. While on the phone with Verizon about my craptacular 4g reception the nice lady in tech level 3 tried to walk through several steps with me to force my phone onto evdo (3g). None of them worked either. My underfunding is it is something that started with Jelly Bean 4.1.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

S

SFGate

After a thrilling seven hours of absolutely no reception at all due to 0 bars of 4G today, I also have the same question. Don't see the point in having a phone that offers no reception whatsoever.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'd be happy to be able to force cdma only so I can have 1x data

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
I'm an "s pen aholic" Noteate

JimiMack

Reaction score
After a thrilling seven hours of absolutely no reception at all due to 0 bars of 4G today, I also have the same question. Don't see the point in having a phone that offers no reception whatsoever.

Now when I am in an area with no 4G at locations within my region (I am on the road all day), I have seen my phone drop to 3G and even to the 1X when 3G is not available. If you are not seeing the phone drop down to the next available band, I would check with your carrier.

TrdLtly

Reaction score
Now when I am in an area with no 4G at locations within my region (I am on the road all day), I have seen my phone drop to 3G and even to the 1X when 3G is not available. If you are not seeing the phone drop down to the next available band, I would check with your carrier.

Ditto (Verizon)... My "Network Type and Strength" shows 4G and 1X readings. Settings > More > Mobile Networks > Network Type and Strength

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My phone technically is in a 4g area with decibel readings of - 122 or worse. When i try to use data it eventually drops to 3g with decibels of around - 88 and decent speed for 3g. I'd like to avoid the wait time until it eventually switches. Time is money.
Yes I have talked with my carrier many times.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

OP
A

Airman1947

Reaction score
My phone technically is in a 4g area with decibel readings of - 122 or worse. When i try to use data it eventually drops to 3g with decibels of around - 88 and decent speed for 3g. I'd like to avoid the wait time until it eventually switches. Time is money.
Yes I have talked with my carrier many times.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Beast Mode (Notetoo)

Ditto. That's kind of my problem. When I'm at work, reception in my building is pretty bad, and my phone keeps trying to jump back and forth between the 3G and 4G band, and every time it does, if I'm in the middle of doing something, like listening to an audio clip from a sports app, it cuts out. Pretty annoying. In the past, I remedied this by disabling 4G, but from what I'm gathering, it sounds like as of now, you can't disable 4G on this phone, at least not with the latest update :(

Bummer. One more reason to keep my fingers crossed for a custom ROM, I guess. Anyway, thanks for all the replies, everybody.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
LTE OnOFF - HTC Thunderbolt works on many devices. I used it on my Razr Maxx and it also works on my Droid Maxx, but does not work on my LG G2. So I guess LG phones block that menu.