Old 3G issue is now 4G issue

hoboX10

Reaction score
Before the OTA update there was a known issue where if the phone was connected over 4G for a while the phone could not switch back to 3G when it moves out of a 4G area and would instead drop to 1X.

With the OTA update this 3G issue has been resolved, but now there is a similar issue with the 4G connection. If I am in a 4G area and I want to disable LTE to save battery life, and then later decide I want the faster 4G speed and re-enable it, it will only stay on the 3G connection. The only two ways to remedy this are either putting the phone into Airplane Mode (does not always work) or to restart the phone.

At first I wasn't sure if this was a real problem when I first had it, but I waited a while to post this until it had happened multiple times.

Anyone else feel free to test this on their phones and post about it please.

By the way I use LTE On/Off to control the data radio.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Taco

Reaction score
Where I work there is 4g so ill try this out over the next couple days and I will report back.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

Taco

Reaction score
This did happen to me once in the past couple days of messing with 4g. I will play with it some more today while I'm at my meeting and see if I can replicate it again.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Yup, I'm having a similar situation. 4G has been very spotty as of lately leaving me with only 1x or 3G. The thing that fixed my recent trouble with that...battery pop. Had to remove the battery and then put it back in. then 4G came back up strong. Don't know why. I actually need to do this as we speak.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Yup, I'm having a similar situation. 4G has been very spotty as of lately leaving me with only 1x or 3G. The thing that fixed my recent trouble with that...battery pop. Had to remove the battery and then put it back in. then 4G came back up strong. Don't know why. I actually need to do this as we speak.

Is 4G staying or does it hang out for a few and disappear again? Could be network problems. Verizon hasn't exactly been consistent in keeping the network up and running.

cp24eva

Reaction score
Mine usually stays put for a while. It's later on when i get out into the train that it may act up. sometimes it will go to 3G while on the train and never comeback.

EDIT:I can't say it will never come back. It just may take a while to come back, but then it eventually does. and this doesn't happen all the time. This is probably like the 3rd time it's happened to me since the OTA. My gf has the same phone and hers will have 4G. She doesn't have the issue like i do.

Last edited:

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Mine usually stays put for a while. It's later on when i get out into the train that it may act up. sometimes it will go to 3G while on the train and never comeback.

EDIT:I can't say it will never come back. It just may take a while to come back, but then it eventually does. and this doesn't happen all the time. This is probably like the 3rd time it's happened to me since the OTA. My gf has the same phone and hers will have 4G. She doesn't have the issue like i do.

My imperfect analysis of that situation is this....If you have two of the exact same phone and one drops 4G and never recovers where the other either recovers or never dropped, chances are that the former is defective. Possibly not a major defect but does not operate as expected. That's what I would consider a justified warranty replacement.

cp24eva

Reaction score
My imperfect analysis of that situation is this....If you have two of the exact same phone and one drops 4G and never recovers where the other either recovers or never dropped, chances are that the former is defective. Possibly not a major defect but does not operate as expected. That's what I would consider a justified warranty replacement.

but it acted so good up until like a week ago. lol. Me and this phone have a bond! As i speak, it's picking p 4G pretty well considering im in a city building away from the tower. I'll have to see how many more times this happens before I pull the trigger on replacing it.

Taco

Reaction score
Today mine dropped all data and wouldn't connect until I reboot

OP
hoboX10

hoboX10

Reaction score
To anyone wondering if you should trade in your phone to fix this, it would be a software issue since the problem didn't start until the OTA update.

Also to anyone else wondering if this might be due to 4G outage, I have never lost 4G coverage even when Verizon reported the outages themselves. It has always been strong in my area.

Sent from my HTC Rezound

Taco

Reaction score
The 4g is also strong in my area and I never lost 4g until I tried toggling cdma only to test this for you.