"Low on space - Phone storage is low"

w27bill

Reaction score
Hi. Still in the beginner to Intermediate range using these types of phones.
Had my Moto Droid 2.1 a few wks now, just d/loaded some new apps, and then got a notification that says "Low on space" - "Phone storage space is getting low".
WHAT DO I DO?
Do i x-fer to my SD card? If so how?
What other info can I provide to help you to help me?
Any related info/advice would be TRULY appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!:)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check "SD card & phone storage" in Settings. You want to see what the Internal Storage is. If you don't have much left, you'll have to delete a few apps.

Unfortunately, unless you're rooted you can't transfer apps to the SD card. The 2.2 update should take care of that, but it's unknown when it'll come out OTA.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Check "SD card & phone storage" in Settings. You want to see what the Internal Storage is. If you don't have much left, you'll have to delete a few apps.

Unfortunately, unless you're rooted you can't transfer apps to the SD card. The 2.2 update should take care of that, but it's unknown when it'll come out OTA.

Don't get your hopes up on 2.2. and apps moved to SD card. We've been able to do it but only by entering a command via Terminal Emulator. And even then not all apps can still be moved. More then 2.2 on it's own, but not all of them.

I'm rooted so I'm not sure if when the real 2.2 comes along that same command will work.

OP
w27bill

w27bill

Reaction score
Thx Nice Guy. It says "21.62MB" under Internal Phone Storage.
And, just F.Y.I, under SD card, it says "14.83GB" "Total space", and 14.77GB "Available Space".
Does that appear to leave me any other options for more storage space other than deleting some apps?
Or is this "Rooting" thing an "easy" option for me? How would I go about that? Or "should' I? Seeing as i'm not too geeky w/ some of these kinda things?
Thanks again much:)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thx Nice Guy. It says "21.62MB" under Internal Phone Storage.
And, just F.Y.I, under SD card, it says "14.83GB" "Total space", and 14.77GB "Available Space".
Does that appear to leave me any other options for more storage space other than deleting some apps?
Or is this "Rooting" thing an "easy" option for me? How would I go about that? Or "should' I? Seeing as i'm not too geeky w/ some of these kinda things?
Thanks again much:)

Hmmm, it's the internal storage that's the problem. I suggest removing some apps. Sorry.

As for rooting, there's LOTS of threads about it. I haven't rooted, but many have. It involves changing your phone so you have more control.
Take a look at http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html for a start and then look at the Hacks section of this forum. Many people are here to help in case of problems. One of the things you can do when rooted is set up your SD card so it'll take the apps instead.

OP
w27bill

w27bill

Reaction score
Newest prob.....Probably related(?)

F.Y.I ***Probably related(?)... but now my incoming texts give me notification that says that "Incoming mesage rejected due to full memory!" I've deleted a few threads - about 150 texts worth, and when a new text comes in, it STILL SAYS "Incoming mesSage rejected due to full memory"!
:icon_evil: UGHH!
Is this just a "normal" reaction because of all the apps (probly close to 200 aps i estimate that i've got)?
And, just to be sure, is this "Incoming message rejected....." notification DIRECTLY related to my original inquiry regarding ""Low on space - Phone storage is low" ?
Thanks for helping me to understand my droid a little more each day:)

mcsinfl

Reaction score
try downloading cachemate and cleaning your cache. i got the same out of memory message the other day, and this cleaned out 40mb.

then i proceeded to move apps to sdcard (froyo/rooted)

OP
w27bill

w27bill

Reaction score
Fixed! (?)

FIXED! (?) dancedroid .....(or at least the immediate inquiry of "notification that says "Low on space" - "Phone storage space is getting low".)
I deleted bunch o' texts, but to no avail..... BUT - after deleting a few apps, notification msg is no more, and "Internal Storage" is now at 43.25MB.
So all appears to be back to what I was used to.
Thanks SO much aaf709, et. al. Now i have a bit more grasp of understanding and enjoying my Droid dancedroid.
I will look further into the other suggestion from here, and also ck back periodically if any furhter insight is posted.
Thx again, Droid gang!

lauren.lockliear

Reaction score
So I deleted the 800 pictures that were on my phone...deleted all but 2 text message threads (about 150 messages each), and deleted 3 or 4 apps I don't use much (only have 11 apps on my phone that didn't come with it).

STILL getting the damn low memory message (internal memory is at 48.71 MB).

There has got to be something I'm missing that I can delete....help!

TIA!

rjax

Reaction score
^

I only get the notification when I go to less than 10% space available (that's 25 MB on the Moto Droid), and it disappears as soon as I hit 26 MB available, so that sounds a little odd.

Droid101

Reaction score
^

I only get the notification when I go to less than 10% space available (that's 25 MB on the Moto Droid), and it disappears as soon as I hit 26 MB available, so that sounds a little odd.

I have been down to 10mb before i was rooted and never got a memory low message. Must be lucky:laugh:

lauren.lockliear

Reaction score
@rjax - that is usually when I get the notification also. I should have said it is was at 48.71MB AFTER I deleted some stuff. The problem is, I've had the phone since November, and I've had more texts and pictures on it than I do now, yet something is taking up memory that wasn't before (I just received the low memory message for the first time about 2 months ago), but I'm not sure what it is. Like I said, I only have a few apps, so that's not it.

AutoLuxLexES

Reaction score
That's funny how I was just asking about this today in the hacks section. I'm rooted with 2.2 with p3 kernel, astro file explorer, apps to SD through terminal emulator and found out that I'm at 77.6% full internal storage( still haven't received storage error) even though I transferred roughly 20 apps to SD.
Through my digging around today of my intenrnal storage that the original apps that came with the phone
Facebook-1.42mb
Twitter-2.08 MB
Sholesquickoffice-2.44 mb
latinigoogle-1.53 MB
but I can't delete/uninstall these apps even though I'm rooted

I also found that there is a folder ' Lib' in the system folder that uses up 45,???,??? Bytes. This is 45 MB correct? So the folder path /system/lib is the folder that is taking up a good chunk of storage.

Charley

dogthehunter

Reaction score
Hi. Still in the beginner to Intermediate range using these types of phones.
Had my Moto Droid 2.1 a few wks now, just d/loaded some new apps, and then got a notification that says "Low on space" - "Phone storage space is getting low".
WHAT DO I DO?
Do i x-fer to my SD card? If so how?
What other info can I provide to help you to help me?
Any related info/advice would be TRULY appreciated!

Thanks so much in advance!:)
You need to download astro from the market and back up your apps on astro then uninstall then and reinstall them from astro. On the rescue squad help page under stock droid it tells you how to do it. I did it and I have 170mb of space on my phone. Dog