Low On Space/Phone Storage is Getting Low

BeachGirlNJ

Reaction score
I have a notification that says "Low on space...phone storage is getting low." I checked in Settings and it shows:

SD Card - Total space 14.83 GB, Available Space 13.53 GB

Internal Phone Storage - Available space 18.01 MB

Should I move some stuff onto the internal storage instead of the SD? and if so, how do I do that?

And, going forward, how can I add more apps if I want? I don't want to keep running out of space. But I see so many other people with way more apps than I have, so I'm not sure why I'm out of room on mine. :huh:

Thanks,
Cindi

OP
BeachGirlNJ

BeachGirlNJ

Reaction score
Re-posting -- really would love some advice on this. I've uninstalled a couple of things that I don't use much but still getting the out-of-space message. Help, please?:blink:

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
i'm guessing you are on the Motorola Droid (based on your profile) but do not know if you are running the stock ROM or something else.

The original Motorola Droid has only 256 Meg of storage space for apps. The SD card was initially only for user data (backups, pictures, etc..) and only the internal 256 Mb was usable for app installs. A few updates later and the phone allowed for some apps to be moved to the SD Card storage, though pointers and some of the app still remain in the 256 Mb area. The easiest way to take advantage of your SD Card is just go to your system settings, applicationss, manage apps and then on the less used apps, select it and you'll see buttons to "Force Stop", "Uninstall" etc..... If you can move that app to the SD Card, you'll have the option "Move to Sd" and tapping it will move the application to the SD Card.

DO NOT MOVE....apps that you use their widgets. Ie..Beautiful Widgets or a Battery Widget. These need to be available at boot and the device will boot and then mount the sdcard, so that's not good.

Other than that........you can start running through the apps that you really use and uninstall the ones you don't. A Factory Data Reset (wiping out all your apps, settings, etc..) can be helpful to have a clean setup and then start re-adding the apps you need/want. Move the ones you can to SD Card and go from there.

There is a limit of how many apps that can be moved to SD card and there is still the initial lack of app storage space of 256 Mb the Droid has.