Motorola Droid not using memory card for storage

paulc35

Reaction score
Ok I have a stock Motorola droid that is now telling me that my internal storage space is low. Under settings SD memory card it tells me that my total space is 14.90GB and available space is 14.17GB Internal phone storage is 28.42MB available. With 14.17GB of available space on my SD Card why am I receiving low space notifications???

titans

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Because your can't store apps on your SD card.

OP
P

paulc35

Reaction score
Do What???

You can't store apps on your memory card? So what is the memory card used for, or what is stored on the memory card?

OP
P

paulc35

Reaction score
ok

pics, music, downloads, videos, etc.

seriously if your internal memory is full, you need to do some cleaning

I understand what you said about the cleaning of the apps. I'm just shocked that you can't put apps on the memory card. I thought the whole purpose of memory and increasing storage space was for anything that was on your phone. So Applications go on internal memory and music,videos,etc go on the SD Card. Do text messages go on the card as well. I also have a HTC Eris and it seems I went through the same problem.

Thank you

Paul C

OP
P

paulc35

Reaction score
good

Yeah its already implemented in android 2.2.

Sent from my Droid

Thats cool....

Maybe it never occurred to designers that someone would rather have a bunch of apps instead of a bunch of pictures and music...It just didn't make sense to me.....So now I have had to go remove several apps I like because my internal memory is low, but I got 14Gig if I want to put a yrs worth of photos on there.

JCo352

Reaction score
Yeah its already implemented in android 2.2.

Sent from my Droid

Thats cool....

Maybe it never occurred to designers that someone would rather have a bunch of apps instead of a bunch of pictures and music...It just didn't make sense to me.....So now I have had to go remove several apps I like because my internal memory is low, but I got 14Gig if I want to put a yrs worth of photos on there.

They haven't implemented apps2sd because of piracy. It will be implemented in Froyo, but the app developer has to give permission.

dmacleo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
install titanium (if rooted) and move app to sd.
any widget driven app needs to stay on internal, most can be on sd card.

OP
P

paulc35

Reaction score
memory

install titanium (if rooted) and move app to sd.
any widget driven app needs to stay on internal, most can be on sd card.

Thank you..If Froyo lets you use the sd card for apps that will be good.

trooperduck

Reaction score
I accidentally formatted my SD card and now cannot put anything on it. I have 67.11 MB available space, but nothing on the SD card.
How do I get it available again?

w27bill

Reaction score
So, what is the memory card good for then?

You can't store apps on your memory card? So what is the memory card used for, or what is stored on the memory card?

My sentiments exactly. "what is the memory card good for then?"?
MOTO DROID 2.1.1
So what and how can the 99% available capacity be utilized? Seems not right that there isn't an easier/simpler &/or automatic way to x-fer some of your apps/memory/texts/pix/vid etc to the totally untouched SD Card.
IMHO, I don't feel i have "too" many apps, couple dozen TOTAL pix/vid, 80 texts total.
I suppose I'm overthinking it, but it seems you need to be a bit advanced in order to utilize this massive, untouched 16gb SD Card.
I'll keep reading, learning and trying.

Abadus

Reaction score
When 2.2 comes out you can put apps on your SD. I have 122 apps or so and 120 mb free on my phone :D

Be warned my droid started acting weird though when I started to fill up my SD card. That and I not sure 100% of the apps go to the SD card so just because you have 16 gig of card I don't think you will be able to load 16 gig worth of apps. I think a small portion of your app still stays in the internal memory. Either way it is still very nice :D And should have been this way from the start.