"Low on space."

toll_booth

Reaction score
I have a message in the top taskbar (?) that says "Low on space: Phone storage space is getting low." Touching this brings me to a whole list of applications and the memory they are using. However, these levels are no longer displaying. In fact, my droid has been very buggy in the last 12 hours. The calendar just now loads, as do some other programs. Is this a memory issue?

I tried going to each of the programs in the list described above and selecting "Clear Cache," but this literally does nothing. Neither did clearing the browser cache, cookies, and history work. What's going on?

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Storage message sounds like the internal memory is almost full. How many apps do you have?

OP
T

toll_booth

Reaction score
On my entire phone, I have 48 apps. Should I look into installing those that I don't need?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On my entire phone, I have 48 apps. Should I look into installing those that I don't need?

I think you want to uninstall those you don't need.;)

What you might try doing is a simple reset of your phone. If you already have done that then think about doing a factory data reset. That will clear out a lot of unnecessary stuff, you won't lose your apps or contacts, and all you need to do is sign back into your google accounts.

I don't think 48 apps are that many, unless you have some huge apps.

icculusX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
...and for the future if released (or if rooting) keep in mind Apps2SD...

OP
T

toll_booth

Reaction score

I think you want to uninstall those you don't need.;)

What you might try doing is a simple reset of your phone. If you already have done that then think about doing a factory data reset. That will clear out a lot of unnecessary stuff, you won't lose your apps or contacts, and all you need to do is sign back into your google accounts.

I don't think 48 apps are that many, unless you have some huge apps.

But a factory reset would destroy all my apps! I don't want to nuke 'em, just clean up memory space and take out apps I don't need. Shouldn't that work?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
But a factory reset would destroy all my apps! I don't want to nuke 'em, just clean up memory space and take out apps I don't need. Shouldn't that work?

No, it won't. That only happens if you do a hard factory data reset. If you do it from your privacy settings, you will not lose your apps. I've done it myself.

OP
T

toll_booth

Reaction score

No, it won't. That only happens if you do a hard factory data reset. If you do it from your privacy settings, you will not lose your apps. I've done it myself.

You sure? When I select Factory data reset, my phone says, "Erase all of your personal information and downloaded applications? It is impossible to reverse this action!"

brando56894

Reaction score
The low storage space message is because your internal storage is low. I have about 150 Apps and I installed a 20mb game and got that message when I was below about 15-20mb of space. Just delete some apps you don't use.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
T

toll_booth

Reaction score

OK, I went with a factory reset via the privacy settings, and...all my apps are GONE. :icon_evil:

The only consolation is that when I go to download the apps again, any I have already paid for don't have to be bought a second time. But now I have to see if I can find in my gmail all the apps that I bought.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score

OK, I went with a factory reset via the privacy settings, and...all my apps are GONE. :icon_evil:

The only consolation is that when I go to download the apps again, any I have already paid for don't have to be bought a second time. But now I have to see if I can find in my gmail all the apps that I bought.

Yeah, it's a bummer. The last time I did that I made a list beforehand. You might be able to see what you had by looking at the Downloads area of the Market. That's what I did.

I suggest getting the app AppsBrain. It syncs your phone to their site for easier management of your apps. Not only does it give you a list, but you can change it to show the apps in terms of size, cost, etc.

WVOz1970

Reaction score
A bit too late... but for future reference: I've done a couple of factory resets and have gotten all my apps back just by going to the marketplace and then clicking on the download list. They all show up the first time you go there. The only catch is that you have to go through that list and install them all the first time you are there, otherwise you won't see any of the free apps the next time you go in.

OP
T

toll_booth

Reaction score

Yeah, it's a bummer. The last time I did that I made a list beforehand. You might be able to see what you had by looking at the Downloads area of the Market. That's what I did.

I suggest getting the app AppsBrain. It syncs your phone to their site for easier management of your apps. Not only does it give you a list, but you can change it to show the apps in terms of size, cost, etc.

Thanks, but I searched and didn't find that app.

A bit too late... but for future reference: I've done a couple of factory resets and have gotten all my apps back just by going to the marketplace and then clicking on the download list. They all show up the first time you go there. The only catch is that you have to go through that list and install them all the first time you are there, otherwise you won't see any of the free apps the next time you go in.

Thanks for the info.

BTW, I looked at my gmail, and it turns out I had only purchased two apps; the rest were free. I've already downloaded those again, without having to pay any more, so the only real loss is figuring out which apps to find again.

barcodelinux

Reaction score
Next time try backing up your text messages (moving them to the SD card) and clearing those out. This cleared over 50MB of storage for me.