Is anyone NOT having battery trouble?

Three-P-Oh!

Reaction score
So I was recently looking at the thread asking about the Droid 2's battery life and it seems like a lot of people, myself included, are having major battery problems, their phones dying with little or no use. So I was wondering, with this problem seemingly so widespread, is anyone NOT having battery troubles, and if so, about how long is the battery supposed to last?

pool_shark

Reaction score
I received mine on Friday and have been playing with it pretty much non stop.
However, as I stated in another thread, this is my 3rd smartphone, first a Treo 700P, then the Omnia. Smartphones eat a lot of battery because they are capable of doing so much.

Some of the tricks of old are:
Turn off the wifi, bluetooth, turn down the screen brightness, set your email fetch to at to at least 1 hour. Not sure if you have control over imap.

I never turn off the bluetooth because I use my headset most of the time.

What I do to keep my battery from dying is charge the device regularly. I charge it overnight, in the car, while listen to music or watching movies, etc.

cdipier2

Reaction score
Yesterday was my first day using my droid 2 and it died very quick with little use. Today it seems to be lasting much longer with much more use. Hmm weird

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some of the tricks of old are:
Turn off the wifi, bluetooth, turn down the screen brightness, set your email fetch to at to at least 1 hour. Not sure if you have control over imap.

Hi, tricks of old are right. Let me talk about my experience with the original Droid. Wifi setting on 24x7. Wifi uses less juice than 3g so you want to leave it on so your phone can use it. Wifi, by default, turns off when the screen is off. GPS setting on 24x7 because apps use it for a bit and then it gets shut off. Screen brightness on automatic, or lower if you can stand it. The juice needed between checking email every hour or every 10 minutes--it's basically the same...very little. Set it for 1 minute polling and see if changes much. (Right, IMAP handles this frequency by itself.)

Now let me talk about my experience on the Droid X. Shut off everything you can! There's a bug!

I'm starting to think that the Droid 2 has exactly the same no sleep bug as the Droid X. Does someone with a Droid 2 want to try monitoring the battery to find out for sure? Lemme know!
EDIT: Or figure out how to test it yourself. See this thread: http://androidforums.com/support-tr...428-battery-drain-due-software-bug-w-gps.html I know the thread is about the Droid X, but you can use the same technique to check the battery usage on any Android. You might not even need to install software if this cool trick from the Droid 1 works on the Droid 2: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/10377-droid-testing-screen.html

droidism

Reaction score
I havnt had any batt. Problems with my droid2. I do use atk but more until its rooted. No live wallpaper or anything but with moderately heavy use I get from 6am through midnight and still have half the batt left.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I havnt had any batt. Problems with my droid2. I do use atk but more until its rooted. No live wallpaper or anything but with moderately heavy use I get from 6am through midnight and still have half the batt left.

Do you by any chance leave GPS toggled off OR do you not use any apps/widgets that use GPS?

droidism

Reaction score
I don't turn anything off. The gps is enabled at all time so it can tag my photos, I keep track of atk to see where I am at with extra apps running but my wifi is always on and gps is always running...maybe I just got lucky...

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't turn anything off. The gps is enabled at all time so it can tag my photos, I keep track of atk to see where I am at with extra apps running but my wifi is always on and gps is always running...maybe I just got lucky...

OK, well that pretty much shoots down my hypothesis. The only way to know for sure, though, is to monitor the battery. It would take about 5 minutes but I don't have a Droid 2.

Good luck!

By the way, are you sure you need ATK?

droidism

Reaction score
No you really don't need it but I was curious as to how much free memory I could get by killing everything at first (my best so far is 212m) and then decided on keeping it for a while to monitor it. Its more of a personal preferance thing.

eternalXTC

Reaction score
I am loving my droid 2 and I just switched from a Evo. My battery is not even 50 percent gone yet and I've heavily used it for 6 hours. My Evo would die within a matter of 3 hours with light usage...

CheathamHill

Reaction score
I've had to charge it 3 times a day since getting it on launch day..it's getting a bit ridiculous..also VERY glitchy when I try to use it plugged in..which I guess is the norm for phones?

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Why don't you just get a spare battery? I've been happier than ever since I did that!

clborden

Reaction score
So far so good. I'm coming from the Droid X, the battery life on the D2 is a little bit better. I figured it had something to do with the D2's screen being smaller. I'd attempt to get your battery replaced.

CheathamHill

Reaction score
I've had the phone off the charger for about an hour with VERY minimal use...it's already down to 90%...sumtin' ain't right folks