Is anyone NOT having battery trouble?

droidage

Reaction score
I'm surprised that there's been no mention of the Droid 2's bizarre design decision to buzz the vibrator with every top-level system button push.

The vibrator is one of the most juice-draining components in the entire device. Why on earth would this be an option that cannot be turned off????

wkearney99

Reaction score
I'm surprised that there's been no mention of the Droid 2's bizarre design decision to buzz the vibrator with every top-level system button push.

Nothing 'bizarre' about it. There are times when the phone is busy that it's nice to have the feedback register that the phone detected the action. Instead of hitting it multiple times and getting too many entries.

The vibrator is one of the most juice-draining components in the entire device. Why on earth would this be an option that cannot be turned off????
Um, you mean haptic feedback?

Uncheck it under Settings>Sound>Haptic Feedback

I sincerely doubt that's going to drain much battery, especially not compared to the display or the radios (phone, wifi, bt, etc).

everstar80

Reaction score
With my driod2, the only time that the battery life leaks out is when I watch streamlined videos. Other than that I can be on the internet or other apps for several hours and have about 70% battery life left and I'm not rooted.

droidage

Reaction score
Thank you for the response.

Feel free to doubt away... I'm not sure what you base your assurance on. Servo controls are costly with regard to electrical consumption.

Are you saying it works on your phone but not on mine? I presume you tested your solution before posting?

The haptic feedback system menu option on the Droid 2 does not affect the haptic feedback of the top-level system buttons. Why? Nor does it affect the haptic feedback on the slide lock. Why? Both of these design flaws affect battery life negatively and cannot be changed by the user.

everstar80

Reaction score
I just gave a general answer to a general question. My personal experience is that other than streamline video my battery holds up okay. No ones service is perfect but as far as battery life, my droid2 isn't as bad as others. I do have other issues but those are for other threads.

wkearney99

Reaction score
With my driod2, the only time that the battery life leaks out is when I watch streamlined videos.
I tried watching a flash video from the engadget website and it SERIOUSLY drained the battery. And heated the phone up QUITE a lot. To a certain extent that's to be expected as I don't think the source website made any attempt to stream an appropriately scaled video to me. I think it just streamed the full size video clip and the phone had to do all the work to downscale it (not to mention wasting the airtime to download the larger clip).

As for wasted power on the haptic feedback, I just can't get all that worked up about the little amount of power that's going to require versus the immensely greater drain caused by the display and radios. Spitting into a hurricane comes to mind...

phrozen087

Reaction score
My battery life tends to be pretty good. I can fairly easily go from 7AM until 11pm usually without coming close to draining the battery. I think I'm usually around 40-50% when I plug in at night. I wouldn't call my usage "light" but I don't use a lot of 3g streaming. My settings aren't too different from original with the exception of things like setCPU. It could just be I don't stream a lot of music unless I am plugged into a wall outlet, but I really haven't felt like I needed a bigger battery yet with mine.

As far as a rough idea of daily usage:
- Wifi: Occasionally use WiFi if I need to download something big, maybe 30-45 minutes of it turned on a day.
- Media: Listen to music probably close to 8 hours a day or more using PlayerPro app and usually listen to a podcast or 2 using BeyondPod.
- Other: Check email and texts whenever it buzzes and play some zenonia or other random game for maybe an hour or 2 a day. Browse internet if I want to check stuff, not sure total time on this but it probably adds up.
- Phone: Only maybe 10-20 minutes of actual calling a day.

All in all my phone is generally doing something for most of the day and is rarely just sitting there in total sleep mode.

Settings:
- Usually have GPS and bluetooth off (only really turn them on if I am in my car with the car charger plugged in so this doesn't really count).
- As said before I only turn on wifi if I need to download something big
- I use auto-brightness and the standard battery mode (night saver)
- Rooted and running SetCPU (on-demand normally with 1Ghz max/300mhz min), with screen off its 300max/300min. <- This seems to have greatly increased my battery since a lot of what I do is with the screen off and the music players have no need to run the processor at 1ghz
- I doubt it does anything but I'm running Zeam launcher instead also.