Is anyone NOT having battery trouble?

HEMItude

Reaction score
Got my D2 on Friday and it ran great the first two days. Then this morning I was playing around and made the mistake of adding my Facebook accout to the new "Social Networking" app they have on here now. First of all, It tried to add all of the Facebook friends as contacts without asking me. That's hundreds of people.

So I went about my business and by the end of the night tonight I was down to about 20% battery, and I barely used the phone today. So I looked at my battery usage stats and at the top of the list using the most battery was something called "com.motorola.providers.contacts". And it showed that it had been sending tons of data throughout the day.

I think this social networking app is trying to keep constant updates with the hundreds of friends and feeds on Facebook. SO I removed that facebook account from "Social Networking" list and we will see how it goes tomorrow.

....pain in my balls. :(

linkedup8484

Reaction score
yea my battery life is pretty terrible...have to recharge 2-3 times daily w/ heavy use

paletero

Reaction score
i picked up my phone on thursday. today I woke up at 515am for work and got off around 9pm. I made several calls throughout the day, checked my email a few times, and did some work related net browsing. Had the battery setting on the "night saver" mode. When I got off at 9pm it was at 60%. Not too bad.

clborden

Reaction score
I am loving my droid 2 and I just switched from a Evo. My battery is not even 50 percent gone yet and I've heavily used it for 6 hours. My Evo would die within a matter of 3 hours with light usage...

I was actually thinking of switching to the EVO. Why did you switch from it? I know you said you had a real issue with the battery, but was that it? Between the serious discount every month with the bill and the bugs I encountered with this D2, I was seriously considering switching to the EVO before my 30 days is up.

Take this for what its worth because everyone has their own opinions....I will give you the pros and cons of my Evo that I owned for 2 months some things may have changed now but this was my experience....

Pros:
Large screen
Cheap plan
Kickstand
Hdmi (even though it was never used)
Good video recording

Cons:
No physical keyboard
No swype at least when I used it they didn't have it and swype is a godsend
Laggy as all hell
Htc sense wasn't as great as it seemed
I do not like the dialer interface at all its laggy and takes a few seconds to hang up on people if you misdialed
Sprint custoner service...ick I cannot understand the people they connect me to!
Htc Evo 10$ 4G charge when I'm not even able to get 4G
The size, I first thought yay! Huge screen. Was I wrong! Being a girl that thing is not pocketable in my tight jeans...

I love my droid, well, I love my droid so far...for me the HTC Evo was okay. It had a lot of redeeming qualities but I could never get past that no physical keyboard. I could have with swype but I couldn't even get an official verison of it without it saying my trial was up. Also a front facing camera is awesome! Sadly, I used it once and it was the first day and that was it. I felt the phone was more for show then use. Also, I was always in roaming where I work (hospital) which doesn't help when I'm a avid phone user...the phones are both great in their own right. But my choice is the droid plain and simple, better battery life, cleaner UI, snappier processor IMO and do I have to say it again a PHYSICAL KEYBOARD. I'm typing this all on my droid, I wouldn't have even tried on my EVO...so there is my 2 cents.... :p

Ok, cool...thanks. ;)

ken75ranger

Reaction score
No battery issues here. After a full charge on Thursday it seems to go 10-12 hours on a charge.

evilsock

Reaction score
Allow me to chime in again. It seems the blur is to blame, turn ur battery saving settings to night mode at all times, this stops ur phone from this; hey is there a new facebook msg? Huh huh? Is there a new tweet? , every second. Ur phone is checking and sending packets. Night mode kills that. Try it and see what happens. I already had ok batt life now its mo bettah

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

mister880

Reaction score
Got my D2 on Friday and it ran great the first two days. Then this morning I was playing around and made the mistake of adding my Facebook accout to the new "Social Networking" app they have on here now. First of all, It tried to add all of the Facebook friends as contacts without asking me. That's hundreds of people.

So I went about my business and by the end of the night tonight I was down to about 20% battery, and I barely used the phone today. So I looked at my battery usage stats and at the top of the list using the most battery was something called "com.motorola.providers.contacts". And it showed that it had been sending tons of data throughout the day.

I think this social networking app is trying to keep constant updates with the hundreds of friends and feeds on Facebook. SO I removed that facebook account from "Social Networking" list and we will see how it goes tomorrow.

my droid 2 is doing the same thing. i just removed my facebook account from the social networking app.

i have barely used my phone since 6am when i woke up and took it off charge.

it's already at 70% battery life left.
display using 25%
com.motorola.providers.contacts was using 18%
com.motorola.home using 16%

HEMItude

Reaction score

my droid 2 is doing the same thing. i just removed my facebook account from the social networking app.

i have barely used my phone since 6am when i woke up and took it off charge.

it's already at 70% battery life left.
display using 25%
com.motorola.providers.contacts was using 18%
com.motorola.home using 16%

Well ever since last night when I removed it, things have been much better. I took it off charge at 6:00am this morning and with my normal usage I still have 90% battery and it's almost noon.

When I look at the battery usage, com.motorola.providers.contacts is not even on the list anymore. So I may have found MY problem. Not sure about other people though.

-HEMI

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Allow me to chime in again. It seems the blur is to blame, turn ur battery saving settings to night mode at all times, this stops ur phone from this; hey is there a new facebook msg? Huh huh? Is there a new tweet? , every second. Ur phone is checking and sending packets. Night mode kills that. Try it and see what happens. I already had ok batt life now its mo bettah

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I don't have a droid 2, but on the droid X I leave it in performance mode and it doesn't make much difference...plus I get my email all day every day. The droid 1 only had performance mode and it was fine. I think changing the battery mode is a workaround but there's another problem because u shouldn't have to do that.

I'm just saying maybe the facebook/twitter apps need to be deleted...or turn down the refresh rate at least.

dlukiw

Reaction score
Just my update on this after my post...

I had charged mine for a couple of hours after my post here today and after I made all the changes I made, I woke up with still 80% battery life. I'm happy with that!

I did some testing today and I've narrowed it down to: Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Background Data

After I unchecked this, it even pops up with a screen saying "THIS WILL IMPROVE BATTERY LIFE". What a no brainer. I used it extensively today and still have about 75% battery left.

After turning this off, it stops checking my email consistantly, doesn't update the facebook app and all the others every second, and I still get my text messages and phone calls, am able to play games and browse the web on a regular basis. Only down side is, if I want to use the Market Place then I have to enable it back on.. but it's just a matter of enabling it for a little while and then disabling it.

I also took into consideration the battery bug they mentioned on the Droid X and did the suggestion of turning off and on the phone after a charge and all this made HUGE improvements!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I did some testing today and I've narrowed it down to: Data Manager -> Data Delivery -> Background Data

Again, this isn't an ideal solution. Instead, the apps/widgets (facebook, twitter, ...) that are using the background data need to be uninstalled or reconfigured to refresh less often. On droid 1, for example, this setting can be left on at all times so you can get email all the time.

I don't want to sound like I'm arguing. You've achieved much better battery life and that's great.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
Just my update on this after my post...

I had charged mine for a couple of hours after my post here today and after I made all the changes I made, I woke up with still 80% battery life. I'm happy with that!

After I unchecked this, it even pops up with a screen saying "THIS WILL IMPROVE BATTERY LIFE". What a no brainer. I used it extensively today and still have about 75% battery left.

After turning this off, it stops checking my email consistantly, doesn't update the facebook app and all the others every second, and I still get my text messages and phone calls, am able to play games and browse the web on a regular basis. Only down side is, if I want to use the Market Place then I have to enable it back on.. but it's just a matter of enabling it for a little while and then disabling it.

I also took into consideration the battery bug they mentioned on the Droid X and did the suggestion of turning off and on the phone after a charge and all this made HUGE improvements!

that doesn't work if you need your emails to your phone relatively quickly.

a phone should be able to get emails pushed quickly without sucking up battery life. they should fix that el pronto.

Quie2Droid

Reaction score
Here is my 2 cents on this subject. I took my phone off the charger at 7 am. Had bluetooth running all day, 2 exchange accts, 2 gmail accts, updated some app in the market, and it is almost 330 pm and still at 50% battery remaining. I am pretty happy with this. I have my battery manager set to Maximum Battery Saver Mode-Pretty much like juice defender where it shuts off data after 15 minutes of no usage. I also have my screen set to automatic brightness and to shut off after 30 seconds. Hopefully it will get a little better after the battery gets more conditioned.

I would like to add that I did turn off the social networking accts in blur. It seemed to be really draining my battery. I am going to test tweetdeck to see if it works better and less battery drain.

slowtype

Reaction score
I have to carry my charger with me everywhere I go. Kinda sucks, I'm going to need to buy a number of these USB chargers and leave them at work, next to my home PC and in my car.

I don't use WIFI, GPS, or Bookface app and my battery indicator is turning orange by 2 PM. Also I have mine set on power savings battery mode.

This can't be right.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to carry my charger with me everywhere I go. Kinda sucks, I'm going to need to buy a number of these USB chargers and leave them at work, next to my home PC and in my car.

I don't use WIFI, GPS, or Bookface app and my battery indicator is turning orange by 2 PM. Also I have mine set on power savings battery mode.

This can't be right.

The problem on the droid x may have been narrowed down today. Seems that if you have "Network location" checked it can, under certain circumstances, cause a software lock that won't let the phone sleep. Definitely something to try, along with calibrating battery, updating PRLs, uninstalling/removing/reconfiguring un-needed apps/widgets/live wallpapers