Iphone 4s or Galaxy Nexus?

Thatonedude

Reaction score
Let me start off with this first: I've been a loyal Android fan for a couple of years. The Droid X was the phone that set me off into the wonderful land of Android. I did everything from rooting it, flashing roms, loading themes, running Jakebitez mod, etc... After I heard news of a phone that was about to land on verizon with an unlocked bootloader, my heart skipped a beat. I was thrilled about being able to run the incredibly fast kernals that I've only heard about. The fact that this was a Nexus device just sweetened the deal. I set my sights on this phone, following from when it was originally dubbed the "Nexus Prime" to where it was official that Samsung was releasing the Nexus device and calling it the Galaxy Nexus. Around that time, the 4s released and my mom picked it up. I played around with it and thought "well the camera is nice and the touch screen is smooth, but it's Apple. Apple is the dark side". In December, I was finally able to pick up the Galaxy Nexus. I held it in my hands and cradled it like a newborn child the first day I had it. I loved ICS and how smooth it ran. I loved the graphics and the aesthetics of the GUI, but as time went on, I grew bored. I modded it and even ran a kernal in an attempt to reinvigorate the pride of owning a GNexus. It didn't work. I then played around with the 4s my mom had, and I liked it. That's when I considered the possibility of jumping ship. I still have some doubts though. Should I allow the Nexus more time to grow on me? Will I have buyer's remorse by keeping the nexus? Will I have buyer's remorse if I jump ship for a 4s? I've considered pulling up a list of pros and cons for moving to the 4s.

Pros
-better camera quality
-better screen resolution
-more compact
-an amazing array of apps
-better build quality
-way better cases
-ios 5
-the phone looks and feels great

Cons
-Apple's myriad of restrictions
-Non-removable battery (if it freezes, your SOL)
-NO 4G
-Jailbreaking actually slows down the device
-Customization is limited
-I've lost a ton of money spent on apps for Android
-Lack of support for flash (yeah, yeah, i know its going out but i still find that many sites use it)
-The possibility of Apple releasing a 4g iphone this year will may make me regret getting a 4s

This is all i can think of right now. I know my intro was probably too long (it's late and i felt like a story needed to be told) but it would be great to have some input from the community.

wolfman4u

Reaction score
In the cons you should add screen size. 4" vs. 4.65"

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Nealius

Reaction score
to me, your cons are enough to answer your questions.
if I was going to get an iphone I would wait to see what 5 brings to the table.
I can just about guarentee I will never own a iphone tho. Nexus is such a sweet phone that should out last my 2 years with it. Much like my D1 did.

comk4ver

Reaction score
If I was to ever consider an itoy I would first make sure it was unlocked first, be on a 4g connection, jailbroken, then have a bigger screen. Maybe you would be happier with an ipad. As far as all your android apps, no tablet?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Reaction score
Let me start off with this first: I've been a loyal Android fan for a couple of years. The Droid X was the phone that set me off into the wonderful land of Android. I did everything from rooting it, flashing roms, loading themes, running Jakebitez mod, etc... After I heard news of a phone that was about to land on verizon with an unlocked bootloader, my heart skipped a beat. I was thrilled about being able to run the incredibly fast kernals that I've only heard about. The fact that this was a Nexus device just sweetened the deal. I set my sights on this phone, following from when it was originally dubbed the "Nexus Prime" to where it was official that Samsung was releasing the Nexus device and calling it the Galaxy Nexus. Around that time, the 4s released and my mom picked it up. I played around with it and thought "well the camera is nice and the touch screen is smooth, but it's Apple. Apple is the dark side". In December, I was finally able to pick up the Galaxy Nexus. I held it in my hands and cradled it like a newborn child the first day I had it. I loved ICS and how smooth it ran. I loved the graphics and the aesthetics of the GUI, but as time went on, I grew bored. I modded it and even ran a kernal in an attempt to reinvigorate the pride of owning a GNexus. It didn't work. I then played around with the 4s my mom had, and I liked it. That's when I considered the possibility of jumping ship. I still have some doubts though. Should I allow the Nexus more time to grow on me? Will I have buyer's remorse by keeping the nexus? Will I have buyer's remorse if I jump ship for a 4s? I've considered pulling up a list of pros and cons for moving to the 4s.

Pros
-better camera quality
-better screen resolution
-more compact
-an amazing array of apps
-better build quality
-way better cases
-ios 5
-the phone looks and feels great

Cons
-Apple's myriad of restrictions
-Non-removable battery (if it freezes, your SOL)
-NO 4G
-Jailbreaking actually slows down the device
-Customization is limited
-I've lost a ton of money spent on apps for Android
-Lack of support for flash (yeah, yeah, i know its going out but i still find that many sites use it)
-The possibility of Apple releasing a 4g iphone this year will may make me regret getting a 4s

This is all i can think of right now. I know my intro was probably too long (it's late and i felt like a story needed to be told) but it would be great to have some input from the community.

The first few cons you listed are enough for me to not go to an iSheep ( clears throat) I mean iPhone..

Cybervlad81

Reaction score
How do you put iOS 5 as a pro? The OS is half of your con's, "-Apple's myriad of restrictions, -Customization is limited, -Lack of support for flash, -Jailbreaking actually slows down the device"
That said, it really looks like you are stretching on the pro's, so unless you are just bitten by the Apple bug or want to be limited, that's not a joke or snide comment towards you, I have had many people tell me that they prefer less options as a reason for buying an iPhone...., I would stick with Android.

GeneralZod

Reaction score
This is as apples and oranges a comparison as you could possibly make, within a given market segment. The GNex is designed for geeks, and the iPhone is designed for Grandma. And I mean neither of those things in a negative context. It all comes down to what is important to the individual user.

nbucko

Reaction score
You're probably like me and just thought "ohh something shiny and new, I want it" but as time wears on you'll find yourself kicking yourself for not sticking with something that allows you customize and modify it to your liking. You'll become jealous when your friend shows you the newest rom that includes some kick butt new feature or enhancement. Stick with Android, you'll be thankful you did.

Arodnum1

Reaction score
Honestly you seem way too tech savvy to Get an iPhone, i'm not nearly as tech savvy as you and I wouldn't consider an iPhone. But it is what it is, you could probably maintain sanity with an iPhone, but you wouldn't have the big thrill of rooting, ROMing, different kernels and all that nonsense

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

meaker

Reaction score
I have thought about this before. But I would not buy one until apple changes to a bigger screen, 4g and freshen up their look. With that being said I still would get bored cause I like to mod my phone and always changing things. You won't be able to do with a apple. So how long would the iphone feel new to you after you bought one?

orion2001

Reaction score
I agree that you should at least wait till the iPhone 5 is released if you are going to jump ship to Apple. As it stands, I really think the GN has more to offer.

Browsing websites on the GN is just amazing. The larger screen, combined with the awesome and snappy browser and good support for tabbed browsing makes browsing tons of fun, and desktop versions of sites quite accessible. The GN is way faster than my iPad 1 when it comes to browsing (not a dig at Apple...the iPad 1 after all is pretty old tech at this point). I've found myself using the iPad a lot less once I got my GN (had the OG prior to it).

4G is also really sweet when you are away from Wifi and aren't necessarily going to be away from a charger for more than a day. To me, the lack of widgets and a common file system in IOS is a dealbreaker, so I've never considered jumping ship to the iPhone.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm confused on how the resolution is better? It's a 3.5inch screen, lol. The OG Droid had better ppi and complete resolution then even the iPhone 4. It got an award for it even. It was due to thicker glass I believe though that it looked a bit bogged down. Also, watch YouTube in HD on the Gnex and then watch HQ on the 4s. It's horrible.

The build quality is NOT better. It looks fancier I suppose, but it is not better.

Camera quality is better.

There is more apps(I only use 3rd party apps(which you can't get on the iPhone unless jailbroken, which by the way bogs down the phone which you already mentioned, though so it doesn't bother me.)

Better cases, yes.

Insidious

Reaction score
The screen on the nexus is better most definately. If you're bored with it, you'll be bored really quickly with an iPhone. I use iOS on my itouch 4th gen and can't stand it. It's just a page of apps. It's your decision but like the person who posted earlier; if you're interested in an iPhone, wait to see what the iPhone 5 brings to the table.

Sent from my HTC Rezound.
Rooted, unlocked, and ready to rock!

bmkdroid

Reaction score
I originally purchased an iPhone 4s. Enjoyed the simplicity and smoothness of the UI and transitions. However, I got bored of it very quickly. Battery life was pretty good, about 5 hours of usage (compared to my Girlfriends iphone 4 getting about 8-9 hours of usage :O ) so that was decent.

However, I traded it in for a Nexus. I am relatively happy with the decision! I have some issues with the screen at low brightness having some banding and looking grainy, but if I set it to 10-15% brightness or higher it goes away and looks pretty great! I also love the developer community, already quite a few ROMs available! I'm on Gummy Nex at the moment. DancingNexus I really missed the ROMs and customizations while I was on iOS. WHile that may have been relieved by jailbreaking, when I looked into jailbreaking it just didn't seem the same. :p

Anywho, back on Android and quite happy about it. Maybe the iPhone 5 or whatever the next one will be called will sway my opinion, but for now, Android is my top option! Plus, after using the Nexus, trying to do ANYTHING on an iPhone seems ridiculously cramped.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol jailbreaking is definitely not the same. It basically makes the iPhone (almost) stock Android.