Engadget Review (they like it!)

Creed

Reaction score
For those of you constantly grabbing for even the slightest bit more information about the Nexus I thought I would mention the recent Engadget review of the HSPA+ version of the device. This might hold you over for 20, or maybe even 30 minutes, before you are back here hoping to see a post entitled "VERIZON ANNOUNCES OFFICIAL RELEASE DATE!!!!"

Good:
ICS
Fast
Fantastic Screen (better than Rezound)
Fits nicely in pocket.
28 hours of battery life (and 5 hours of continuously streaming video at 100% brightness and volume)

Bad:
Mediocre Camera
Plastic-y Feel

They sum it by saying that the Nexus is the best Android handset out there and possibly the best handset (including the iPhone 4s*).

Source: Galaxy Nexus HSPA+ review -- Engadget

*They have one of the most glowing reviews of the iPhone 4s to date so that is HIGH praise for the Nexus.

Last edited:

doublea500

Reaction score
sounds amazing. the hspa is the verizon version right?

OP
Creed

Creed

Reaction score
sounds amazing. the hspa is the verizon version right?

No, this is the International version that runs only on GSM carriers. The CDMA, LTE version is the one Verizon costumers will see but it is only vaguely different.

The Verizon version has:
  • 16 more gigabytes of storage
  • Much faster internet speeds via LTE
  • 100 mAh larger battery (that probably won't make up for LTE battery woes)
  • a slightly thicker build (.53mm thicker or 1/3 the thickness of a penny)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
A lot of traditional iPhone loving sites (BGR, Engadget, Verge, etc) have given very favorable reviews of the GMS Nexus, which is rare. I'm happy it's winning over some people. I just hope the Verizon version doesn't have a glaring LTE issue (i.e. connectivity, battery suck). This is the only thing that's different between the two, so for the most part I think we can expect a similar review.

doublea500

Reaction score
No, this is the International version that runs only on GSM carriers. The CDMA, LTE version is the one Verizon costumers will see but it is only vaguely different.

The Verizon version has:
  • 16 more gigabytes of storage
  • Much faster internet speeds via LTE
  • 100 mAh larger battery (that probably won't make up for LTE battery woes)
  • a slightly thicker build (.53mm thicker or 1/3 the thickness of a penny)

kk ty, i knew that, just not the names.

and if the hspa version has 28 hours then by using proportions. (28/1750=x/1850)=29.6 hours :D. and using the same thing with the 5 hours then the lte version will have 5.3 hours. however, i dont think these calculations mean anything because the lte 4g speeds may suck alot of battery out of the phone.

OP
Creed

Creed

Reaction score
I just hope the Verizon version doesn't have a glaring LTE issue (i.e. connectivity, battery suck).

I do too. I think we have a fair bet though, a lot of the more critical testers of the LTE version have said the phone works great. (the ever despised) p3droid says the phone is almost flawless and has far superior connectivity compared to his Bionic (although that really isn't that large a compliment...)

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
LTE is such a battery hog we have no idea what to expect. I would guess 15-20 hours of normal use of of the box. Once we have some custom kernels, I bet we'll see 20+ easy.

doublea500

Reaction score
any way to turn lte off and use 3g? ive had the d1 so i have no experience with 4g lte

INCREMENTAL

Reaction score
I hope u guys don't believe that 28hrs of battery life, lol that's gotta be a joke.

Sent from my Moto Droid

sweeeeet

Silver Member
Reaction score
note whoops it huh

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
Creed

Creed

Reaction score
It said the Note is slightly faster but the international version has yet to be updated to the newest ICS which much of the Black Hat team has said increases the speed of ICS tremendously making it "buttery smooth."

Also, the benchmarking means next to nothing because the apps have yet to be updated for ICS so are not optimized at all for the Nexus. On some of the AOSP ICS roms for the Nexus S 4g the benchmarks went down almost 1000 just from the change from 2.3.5 to 4.0.

Last edited: