iPhone 4 -> Razr - > iPhone 4S -> Galaxy Nexus - ain't no smooth Apple but it'll do

mzjin

Reaction score
For now, until the iPhone 5 drops anyway.

Having played with this Galaxy Nexus for a day now, I can now safely say:

Saving Graces!!:

Screen!!
4G LTE!
Tethering
Removeable battery
LED Notification Light
ICS Multi-tasking
Some good Google services

Everything else:
Meh to FAIL!!

Build quality is a fail
Camera is a meh
ICS is still too often a LAG FEST in comparison to 60FPS iOS experience
Android apps are never as good as the iOS equivalent in any way
NFC is all but useless now
Voice capability is a barely passing C or D compared to Siri
Face unlock is completely a gimmick - unreliable which makes it a waste of time more than saving time

If you could give me my iPhone 4S back with a larger screen and 4G LTE, you can keep the rest of your Samsung and Ice Cream Sammy. Unfortunately, I'll have to wait until iPhone 5.

Until then, I'm satisfied with the Galaxy Nexus as even though it still feels like a clunky Chevy, it'll get me there FAST and makes somethings look real pretty.

Android fanboys can flame away (in vain). This "Apple fanboy" (who now owns the whole spectrum of Windows, Apple and Android devices) will be happy (enough) with his Galaxy Nexus. Galaxy S3, maybe you'll fix some of the FAILS above. Maybe not.

This is why you want a Galaxy Nexus!!

View attachment 43944

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
- Build quaility fail? I believe it's more durable the the iPhone's glass. Watch videos on it. :) I love the feel, step up from the SII.
- Camera quality is meh. I agree, but it's shutter and features destroy the iPhone's. Good enough quality for me.
- ICS hasn't lagged once for me. I will say that the A5 in the 4S is great though. However, I see no difference.
- Apps.. well, that's debatable. I will agree that iPhone does have a wider array of apps, that's for sure. But luckily I'm not to into apps unless it has to do with hacking/root/theming or something. Games bore me nowadays for the most part.
- NFC is pretty useless right now, but how is that a downfall? It's for the future when more devices get them. That's a plus in my book.
- Face unlock is a gimmick, but it's FAST. I tried it just to try it, and it was instant. Not a downfall.

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
- Build quaility fail? I believe it's more durable the the iPhone's glass. Watch videos on it. :) I love the feel, step up from the SII.
- Camera quality is meh. I agree, but it's shutter and features destroy the iPhone's. Good enough quality for me.
- ICS hasn't lagged once for me. I will say that the A5 in the 4S is great though. However, I see no difference.
- Apps.. well, that's debatable. I will agree that iPhone does have a wider array of apps, that's for sure. But luckily I'm not to into apps unless it has to do with hacking/root/theming or something. Games bore me nowadays for the most part.
- NFC is pretty useless right now, but how is that a downfall? It's for the future when more devices get them. That's a plus in my book.
- Face unlock is a gimmick, but it's FAST. I tried it just to try it, and it was instant. Not a downfall.

You'll have to play with iOS on an iPhone 4S to feel the lag on the Nexus. Normally, the Nexus is OK (FAR better than Gingerbread, god that Razr was lag fest), but the Frameworks will really stutter and drop on some animations. Even opening the app drawer drops the FPS into the 20s (perceptible stutter). I'm just used to constant 60FPS on iOS

The Plastic on this phone is like a cheap knock-off to the Glass & Aluminum quality on the iPhone 4S. Really Kia vs Mercedes here. Plastic may be tougher, but that's not the point here... the phone is just made of cheap materials.

Try using face unlock when you're out at night with your friends - good luck!

Keep in mind the pros outgun the cons, which is why I'm enjoying the Nexus and returned my iPhone 4S. I enjoyed my iPhone 4S, but this Galaxy Nexus can get some serious work done, just maybe not as pleasantly in some cases.

Last edited:

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You'll have to play with iOS on an iPhone 4S to feel the lag on the Nexus. Normally, the Nexus is OK (FAR better than Gingerbread, god that Razr was lag fest), but the Frameworks will really stutter and drop on some animations. Even opening the app drawer drops the FPS into the 20s (perceptible stutter). I'm just used to constant 60FPS on iOS

The Plastic on this phone is like a cheap knock-off to the Glass & Aluminum quality on the iPhone 4S. Really Kia vs Mercedes here. Plastic may be tougher, but that's not the point here... the phone is just made of cheap materials.
Considering a lot of people at my school have upgraded to the iPhone 4s on either sprint or ATT, I've played with both versions(I say this because ATT's is "3x faster"). "Lag" is lag, not simply being slower. And I've still, noticed no problems. Don't get me wrong, the A5 is faster, tests have shown this on some article on PhoneDog. But not noticeably to me.

Coming from a Moto phone, I will say it is made more cheaply, but it's not bad. I actually enjoy the feel of it. I think the main reason it feels cheaper is because it's texturized. But I'd rather have this then be scared to drop my phone if it didn't have a case on it so the glass isn't breaking. I can't tell you how many people I know with cracked iPhone 4's either on the back or front of the phone.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have to think you're a troll if you think it feels like the build quality is poor, it feels incredible in hand and you're the first person to say any different.

I have zero lag on the Nexus and I've used my wifes 4S dozens of times so I know the silky-ness of IOS.

I think you're just an Iphone fan man, I really think you're just not cut out for Android. Just being completely honest.

The Nexus is everything we've been waiting for, if it's not for you it's just not for you, doesn't mean the phone's at fault.

alienware777

Reaction score
A couple of these points I can agree with, but your seriously saying that nfc and face unlock ruin the phone? Like... its two features google has. Just don't ever use them and boom, failure removed.

GoBears

Reaction score
Trade it for a 4s on Craigslist and join Modmyi. Problem solved.

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
I have to think you're a troll if you think it feels like the build quality is poor, it feels incredible in hand and you're the first person to say any different.

I have zero lag on the Nexus and I've used my wifes 4S dozens of times so I know the silky-ness of IOS.

I think you're just an Iphone fan man, I really think you're just not cut out for Android. Just being completely honest.

The Nexus is everything we've been waiting for, if it's not for you it's just not for you, doesn't mean the phone's at fault.

Oh please, every person who is "REAL" here knows that this almighty Galaxy Nexus isn't even as smooth as old iPhone 3GS or iPad 1s. There are plenty of you out there in denial though.

Please stop being a fanboy and admit to when some thing do certain things better.

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
mzjin is trying to rain on peoples parade.. cant handle the fact the small, craptastic, outgunned in every way iphone is getting hammered by Android... again, like stated earlier.. don't feed the trolls. Think Gremlins...

huskyhavok

Reaction score
You forgot to mention the bad battery life on the G nex vs iphone 4s. I honestly just switched from my samsung charge cause I was upset with the battery life. In my opinion android os is still under apple's but it's getting a lot better. I think pretty soon they will be closing the gap and there won't be much difference in the two. I think 4g lte radios came out too soon and batteries weren't bade to handle that kind of power. Thus why apple did not release a 4g phone yet. It would also give the iphone a horrible battery life. I'm waiting for the full review of the gnex to hopefully get back in the android game. The materials plastic vs glass is just a preference. Most people use cases on their phones anyway so that don't bother most people. Hacking rooting and themes can be put on iphones as well, not just droids. The car comparison would be bmw vs mercedes. I am an android fanboy with an iphone!

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
Trade it for a 4s on Craigslist and join Modmyi. Problem solved.

Unfortunately ModmyI doesn't increase device screen size or add 4G LTE. It's a nice thought though.

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
mzjin is trying to rain on peoples parade.. cant handle the fact the small, craptastic, outgunned in every way iphone is getting hammered by Android... again, like stated earlier.. don't feed the trolls. Think Gremlins...

Wow, what is wrong with you fanboys? I just went and returned my iPhone 4S and bought the Galaxy Nexus. Is there something wrong with you people? Am I one of those few sane consumers who actually can afford to play with these things and give props where due to bash the hell of the FAIL aspects... or do you guys just kiss Google developers ass because you spent your $200 on the device?

Hell, maybe I'll go open up another line for myself and get another iPhone 4S just to see your mad faces in real life! :D

xkape

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm done replying.. nothing to say here and nothing to see..

OP
M

mzjin

Reaction score
You forgot to mention the bad battery life on the G nex vs iphone 4s. I honestly just switched from my samsung charge cause I was upset with the battery life. In my opinion android os is still under apple's but it's getting a lot better. I think pretty soon they will be closing the gap and there won't be much difference in the two. I think 4g lte radios came out too soon and batteries weren't bade to handle that kind of power. Thus why apple did not release a 4g phone yet. It would also give the iphone a horrible battery life. I'm waiting for the full review of the gnex to hopefully get back in the android game. The materials plastic vs glass is just a preference. Most people use cases on their phones anyway so that don't bother most people. Hacking rooting and themes can be put on iphones as well, not just droids. The car comparison would be bmw vs mercedes. I am an android fanboy with an iphone!

Battery life is worse for sure, but just carry an extra battery or two with you. This isn't as big of an issue with the Nexus as it is with say.. a Razr.