Insurance Policy for VZW & Asurion

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've probably been through more of Windows Mobile than you have. I am not known in the Android community, but certainly am in the Omnia community. I know all about Windows Mobile, and its pitfalls. I was using WM 6.5.1 well before WM 6.5 was even released to the public.

Before the Droid, I was using a Blackberry Tour. I am also pretty familiar with that OS, although not as intimate as I am with WM. So don't preach to me about what you think I don't know, ok?

Fanboy? Not a chance. I just know something superior when I see it.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
KZIWarrior-The store will tell you that they can't block it, but I spoke to a rep on the phone and she said that it was no problem. I asked why the store couldn't have just taken care of it and she said that she didn't know. SO, if you get the run around at the store, give customer service a call.

Thanks for the heads up. I might just call CS and be done with it. Much appreciated. To bad it's not something you can do via the VZW site (I tried for txts but it wouldn't work).

I've probably been through more of Windows Mobile than you have. I am not known in the Android community, but certainly am in the Omnia community. I know all about Windows Mobile, and its pitfalls. I was using WM 6.5.1 well before WM 6.5 was even released to the public.

Before the Droid, I was using a Blackberry Tour. I am also pretty familiar with that OS, although not as intimate as I am with WM. So don't preach to me about what you think I don't know, ok?

Fanboy? Not a chance. I just know something superior when I see it.

I was also cooking 6.5 before the official release (Phoenix Roms) for the Tilt and am very familiar with the OS (but not the BB, never cared enough for them). WM is flawed in many ways regarding the OS but it still offers numerous tools and features that (as of NOW) are NOT available for Android. Don't me wrong I think Android will get there and I'll be happy when it does but until then it's just not even in the same league as high-end WM devices for business use. Now for the rest of us the Droid (and the OS) are great but to say it's 'superior' in it's current form is a bit of a stretch.

Last edited:
OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
So, because you can afford it, people should just bend over for price hikes and say, so be it?

Sorry, I am not that big of a pushover. I may accept it as it is, but I do NOT have to like it.

As for this phone not being as good for business as WM....I can't believe you actually lumped it in the same sentence with that pos OS.

If people don't like it they can not use the product. If enough people don't use it GUESS WHAT the policy/price will change. It's called market elasticity... the companies look at their numbers and find the balance of price and number of consumers willing to pay that price. Granted it's a bit skewed because of lack of competitive choice but the premise still holds. If enough people started to NOT get insurance than VZW and Asurion will adjust their price(s).

As for the WM and BB comment you sound as bad as iPhone/Apple fanboys. Just because you have not used one lately (or more likely not used one to their full potential) YES they are, for business purposes FAR superior to the Droid. The Android OS in it's current state is missing several components that is keeping it from be used as a business device for MANY people. And it's comments like yours that made Apple (and the iPhone) users so hated because of their 'holier than thou' attitude.

They are classifying that as an advanced device?

Thats ludicrious. Have you tried fighting it?
I know-it's highway robbery...they claim that because it's browser capable, that makes it "advanced". I was happy enough to get everything blocked (VZNav and VCast). I only pay the 9.99 for the line and 7.99 for the insurance.

COOL, I've been meaning to go by my local store and see about getting those blocked on my fiance's phone (she doesn't want/use them and on her phone it's FAR to easy to accidentally hit those buttons and launch the services).

You actually should be able to block any service via the website.

Login -> Click Overview then Go next to the phone -> Click Usage Controls -> Scroll down to Services Blocks -> Click Add/Remove Blocks and edit from there.

2cwlicm.png

2dlj4wo.png

14mas1k.png

As you can see from my blocked features, it can be done.

Last edited:

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
LOL,

I blocked some services via the website on my daughter's line, and I still haven't figured out how to remove some of them :D Thanks for the screenshot!

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
LOL,

I blocked some services via the website on my daughter's line, and I still haven't figured out how to remove some of them :D Thanks for the screenshot!

No problem :)

Took me a few minutes fishing around in there to find where I had blocked features on my parents phones, lol. My mom was randomly downloading crap and one month she charged WAY too much and was curious why her part of the bill was $30 more than usual, ha ha.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
LOL,

No problem :)

Took me a few minutes fishing around in there to find where I had blocked features on my parents phones, lol. My mom was randomly downloading crap and one month she charged WAY too much and was curious why her part of the bill was $30 more than usual, ha ha.

Sweet, thanks nerdbox08. Just save me the call. Wonder why txting isn't on there? Great post. Actually that post should be a sticky somewhere about basic VZW online features maybe with a few others.

OP
nerdbox08

nerdbox08

Reaction score
Sweet, thanks nerdbox08. Just save me the call. Wonder why txting isn't on there? Great post. Actually that post should be a sticky somewhere about basic VZW online features maybe with a few others.

I called and asked. He said if you can see it, you can do it from the web, otherwise if you can't, which I can't(lol) you would have to call in. You can however block all texting, which seems has to be done over the phone though.

EDIT: After a little research I discovered you can add $4.99 to your plan and use Verizon Safeguard to handle blocking certain numbers from your phone, but that costs more money. You can as mentioned above call in and get a full block on the messages if that is what you're after and viola! you are safe.

Just wanted to let it be known that you can set up amounts/times, etc with Safeguard so that some phones can message X amount of times and other phones can receive calls during X-X times, etc.

:)

Last edited:

GRey1

Reaction score
My buddy just lost his iPhone and found out that there is no insurance for it at all. His cheapest route was to open another line for 10 more dollars a month and another 2 years to get the phone at $199. If he didn't have such crappy credit, he would have gotten a droid. Verizon wanted too much of a deposit.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
My buddy just lost his iPhone and found out that there is no insurance for it at all. His cheapest route was to open another line for 10 more dollars a month and another 2 years to get the phone at $199. If he didn't have such crappy credit, he would have gotten a droid. Verizon wanted too much of a deposit.

Ouch!! Wonder when AT&T changed that. I thought at first they did have it (the iPhone was one of the reasons they raised their deductibles). That sucks. I'd heard that Verizon's deposits can be on the steep side. I was actually surprised that I didn't have to put a deposit down (considering I was with them a few years ago and left (early) and never payed my ETFs :icon_ devil:). When he gets his replacement he should call StateFarm (someone in another thread they have a phone insurance plan/option).

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Great Information, But my deductible says $50 not $89

insurances.jpg

sraider

Reaction score
If you have homeowners insurance or maybe even renters insurance talk to your insurance rep. I put my droid on my homeowners insurance for $15 for the whole year!! I do have a $100 deductible. My policy covers damage, theft or lost.

justreboot

Reaction score
hmmm... I'm paying the 7.99 for TEC didn't realize the deductible went up to $90 (ouch) / after a year that's almost $100... Since I am on the VIP plan I get a new phone each year for the 2 year price... Essentially the insurance adds $100 to the price of the phone. But it gives me peace of mind...

TimChgo9

Reaction score
I have always had insurance on my cell phones, even when I was with Sprint and had two flip phones. (one for me one for my son) I figured insurance is a good idea because replacing either one of the phones at retail was beyond what my budget could handle....

You buy car insurance to protect your investment. Same with homeowner's or renter's insurance. Getting insurance on an expensive device like my Droid also makes sense. The phone was a gift from my oldest children and yes, 89.00 is alot for me to afford, considering I haven't worked in 3 years, and my girlfriend is the only one working right now. If my phone is lost/stolen/damaged, she figured 90 dollars is a steal compared to the 556.00 retail price we looked up on Verizon's website.

I get how 90 bucks can be hard to afford, I get that completely. The people I feel sorry for are those who think insurance is a scam, and go without, and then realize, too late, that they should have bought it.