IMPORTANT in regards to wireless tethering

dr0idg0d23

Reaction score
I was an avid user of wireless tether but please do not use it while still running stock rom. Verizon and motorola have security features built into the stock software to help them track people using what they consider illeagal tether apps. Please refrain from using such apps until there is a custom ROM released so as to avoid bringing us to the forefront of verizons attention. In the meantime use pdanet USB tether app located in market. It is important that we as a community stop using our knowledge to continue pushing carriers and handset manufacturers from locking us out completely. If we continue our current trend of outrite defiance in use of these wireless tether apps (wheather you think it should be ok or not is irrelevent until a court rules on it) we are only hurting ourselves in the long run. Please for now use pdanet or similar USB tether app as they are not frowned upon by carriers. If you need to know why here it is, USB apps allow only one device to be connected which limits bandwidth used at one time, wireless tethers allow you to run everything in your house simultatiously greatly increasing individual strain on the network and makeing the user experience for all worse in the long run as the network can only handle so much.
Well, there it all is, an informed public is a better public... Happy modding to all.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Anathema

Reaction score
What's the difference between this and tethering via bluetooth?

vmspionage

Reaction score
I was an avid user of wireless tether but please do not use it while still running stock rom. Verizon and motorola have security features built into the stock software to help them track people using what they consider illeagal tether apps.
How do you know they have this capability and are actively monitoring tethering? The only thing I've heard is people getting shut off for unusually high bandwidth consumption for torrenting and such. I've never seen any proof that vzw is monitoring installed applications or system configuration.

If you need to know why here it is, USB apps allow only one device to be connected which limits bandwidth used at one time, wireless tethers allow you to run everything in your house simultatiously greatly increasing individual strain on the network and makeing the user experience for all worse in the long run as the network can only handle so much.
My tether is password protected and I'm the only one that connects - and only from one laptop, not my entire house lol. That is no different than using USB tether or the moto lapdock.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
They can monitor without software on your device, but in my experience only vodaphone does this. If tethering a Linux machine you have fewer worries, windows services create easily identifiable TCP/UDP traffic...being android is using the TCP/IP stack from Linux this traffic would not normally be emulating from from your devices IP address.

My previous job was directly related to tethering mobile devices to PC's.

Last edited:

vmspionage

Reaction score
They can monitor without software on your device, but in my experience only vodaphone does this.

My previous job was directly related to tethering mobile devices to PC's.
I almost always use a heavily encrypted L2TP IPSec VPN while tethering, with the exception of my nook which I only connect for occasional email checks and surfing. Since there are VPN apps available on the android market seeing L2TP traffic shouldn't be that unusual, but they won't be able to dig any deeper than that. I could care less if they monitor my nook traffic, it's just for low volume web surfing.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I almost always use a heavily encrypted L2TP IPSec VPN while tethering, with the exception of my nook which I only connect for occasional email checks and surfing. Since there are VPN apps available on the android market seeing L2TP traffic shouldn't be that unusual, but they won't be able to dig any deeper than that. I could care less if they monitor my nook traffic, it's just for low volume web surfing.

Yes encrypted traffic would be all but impossible to monitor with any success. This is the employed method of any good tethering software, run the traffic encrypted through various external servers....few if any do this. Wireless/USB tether certainly doesn't.

Anathema

Reaction score
Has anybody known anybody who has ever gotten caught tethering using any 3rd party app NOT named "Wireless Tether" (for root users), pretty sure that's the only ad-hoc-flood tether app that people used.

Also thought this was funny regarding Open Garden.....

http://opengarden.com/map/ (that's all the people (and location) tethering using this app)

Last edited:
M

Mullensbb

What app are you guys using for tethering on the rooted bionic?

M

Mullensbb

yeah dude I got that trust me I used it on my droid x forever but it doesn't work gingerbread. or maybe I should say it doesn't work with the stock gingerbread that comes with the phone maybe when there are some roms for the droid by bionic....

martytoo

Reaction score
I was an avid user of wireless tether but please do not use it while still running stock rom. Verizon and motorola have security features built into the stock software to help them track people using what they consider illeagal tether apps. Please refrain from using such apps until there is a custom ROM released so as to avoid bringing us to the forefront of verizons attention. In the meantime use pdanet USB tether app located in market. It is important that we as a community stop using our knowledge to continue pushing carriers and handset manufacturers from locking us out completely. If we continue our current trend of outrite defiance in use of these wireless tether apps (wheather you think it should be ok or not is irrelevent until a court rules on it) we are only hurting ourselves in the long run. Please for now use pdanet or similar USB tether app as they are not frowned upon by carriers. If you need to know why here it is, USB apps allow only one device to be connected which limits bandwidth used at one time, wireless tethers allow you to run everything in your house simultatiously greatly increasing individual strain on the network and makeing the user experience for all worse in the long run as the network can only handle so much.
Well, there it all is, an informed public is a better public... Happy modding to all.

I don't understand this logic. Wireless tether won't work on the Bionic so why should I care if someone tries to use it. Verizon knows we would like to make it work. That "outrite(sic) defiance" sentence is beyond me. What you are saying is that Verizon is going to throw me off their network because some fool is trying to use an app that won't work?!?!?:confused:

So again, are you saying that Verizon is going to kill the accounts of all of us (who read this forum or all the accounts of all the Droids in the whole country) because someone is trying to use an app that won't work??? And if you aren't saying that, then what is the imaginary penalty to who that Verizon is going to impose why, again?

bigkhan

Reaction score
so is there an app that works to teather the bionic to a xoom? Without paying verizon of chorse.

drocksmash

Reaction score
I think there is a tablet verzion of PDA net, to tether your phone to tablet, not sure.