IMPORTANT in regards to wireless tethering

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Your computer uses far more bandwidth than a phone.

Either way, I'm not going to stop tethering, I will tether how many devices I want to. Just like I do with my computer, just like I do with my tablet. My phone service "provider" is the only one that wants to charge me by usage and number of devices. I won't stop. If they want to charge me, fine, I will see them in court. Not just that, but I will bring any device I can get my hands on and tether in the courtroom, wirelessly.

Unlimited = Unlimited.

I don't, in any arena, support and will never support, the monopoly on data transfer and my right to information.

I agree however, if you take the time to turn of things such as auto updates, windows update, antivirus updates, don't use torrents etc you can cut the bandwidth down quite a bit. Last time I was in the field I took my laptop on my Storm2 this was just before I got my D2G, We had a free night, so I tethered my S2 using the tether app through usb and playing Lord of the Rings Online for about 8 hours... no internet, no streaming, updates off... I only used 105MB download and about 85 upload. I've used WAY more than that on my phone before.

I agree that there should be no monopoly on data transfer, and I'm not stopping anytime soon. it just takes some care to not get caught, that's all I'm saying.

GohanBurner

Reaction score
Well I randomly got Wireless Tether to work. I'm so happy, now my friggin' phone can actually be charged while I am on the internet instead of dwindling down via USB charging.

PS: Not everyone wants to use Wireless Tether to connect tons of devices. Some people, like me, only need it so that the phone can be charged properly from a socket/dock instead of the USB which actually doesn't charge it at all. Just slows down the battery drain a tad.

Last edited:

idefiler6

Reaction score
Well I randomly got Wireless Tether to work. I'm so happy, now my friggin' phone can actually be charged while I am on the internet instead of dwindling down via USB charging.

PS: Not everyone wants to use Wireless Tether to connect tons of devices. Some people, like me, only need it so that the phone can be charged properly from a socket/dock instead of the USB which actually doesn't charge it at all. Just slows down the battery drain a tad.
What did you change? I can connect to it but can't get online.

tgs3838

Reaction score

Im having the same problem. I havent really messed around with it to much. Iv spent maybe 10 minutes on trying to get it to work. But I can get my computer to connect. But I can never get online....So im not sure what i did wrong.

M

Mullensbb

as for the person who says that your computer uses far more bandwith that is completely inaccurate your computer is capable of using the exact same amount of bandwidth.
it's only depends on what you do with the handheld device or the pc.

for instance if I go to espn.com and I view the full page on my bionic, it uses the exact same amount of bandwith as my pc is viewing the same page!

in the main reason that your point is absurd...

since we can now watch netflix and espn on our devices, especially 4 g devices which basically broadcast them in hd because of the 4 g speeds are as fast as home internet.. you are easily capable of using the exact same amount of bandwith on your device as your pc!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
as for the person who says that your computer uses far more bandwith that is completely inaccurate your computer is capable of using the exact same amount of bandwidth.
it's only depends on what you do with the handheld device or the pc.

for instance if I go to espn.com and I view the full page on my bionic, it uses the exact same amount of bandwith as my pc is viewing the same page!

in the main reason that your point is absurd...

since we can now watch netflix and espn on our devices, especially 4 g devices which basically broadcast them in hd because of the 4 g speeds are as fast as home internet.. you are easily capable of using the exact same amount of bandwith on your device as your pc!

+1

I've been saying this for months, no one wants to listen and thinks they are right. that's what the internet is for I guess.

I also hate when people equate tethering to pirating software. They say things like "vzw says you can't so it's illegal. The reason it is against the rules is because enough people haven't made it a big enough issue for vzw to fix it... consumers are so well trained by corporations that they don't realize the power is ACTUALLY with the consumer not the company. if EVERYONE were to call vzw and complain about the tether policy and the data policy... or even better had threatened to cancel their service when vzw enabled tiered data vzw would have had no choice but to say nvm to that. People just don't want to get organized enough..

I'm gonna stop now before I get upset and end up writing more than I need to.

Last edited by a moderator:

bigkhan

Reaction score
Im having the same problem. I havent really messed around with it to much. Iv spent maybe 10 minutes on trying to get it to work. But I can get my computer to connect. But I can never get online....So im not sure what i did wrong.

Have you tried changing the ip address on your phone then rebooting it? I had to change the ip the first time to get my computer to get online. But whats odd, is that i needed to unroot and then reroot. The second time around I was able to leave the ip alone. who knows.

djsiva

Reaction score
The argument and points made in the OP are nauseating. I rarely tether, but when I need to, it's usually for something critical at work. I refuse to pay the extra money for data that has already been paid for, and I will continue to find whatever means necessary to have this functionality available to me.

martytoo

Reaction score
The argument and points made in the OP are nauseating. I rarely tether, but when I need to, it's usually for something critical at work. I refuse to pay the extra money for data that has already been paid for, and I will continue to find whatever means necessary to have this functionality available to me.

Does that include jumping to Boost or Virgin Mobile for an all you can eat deal?

I agree that the OP is off base, but I am also thinking most of us aren't bailing out of the Verizon boat. Unless they feel pressure to offer the everything flat rate deals, we may be waiting a long time to get what we want without resorting to hacks and subterfuge.

GohanBurner

Reaction score

I honestly don't know...just used the stock mobile Hot Spot app, let it connect, and tried going to a site and it worked. This was done after the MySQL hack of course.

M

Mullensbb

As someone who has rooted all previous android devices i've had in oder to wifi tether i decided to pay for the tethering when i found out it was only 24.99 for unlimited. Instead of dealing with waiting or hacking ( which i did)and worrying about my data number... i just signed up and im using insane ammounts of data with out worry of a red flag.

Using huhlu plus on my bluray player/ stream2watch TV, WatchESPN and netflix throughout the weekend i'm at 11gb hahah

needless to say the 4g is as fast as home internet and 24.99 is cheaper than my fios...and with all the options for TV i fell i dont need cable either..

I'm up for anyone who wants to use free tethering if they can ( as i def. did)

Reaction score
As someone who has rooted all previous android devices i've had in oder to wifi tether i decided to pay for the tethering when i found out it was only 24.99 for unlimited. Instead of dealing with waiting or hacking ( which i did)and worrying about my data number... i just signed up and im using insane ammounts of data with out worry of a red flag.

Using huhlu plus on my bluray player/ stream2watch TV, WatchESPN and netflix throughout the weekend i'm at 11gb hahah

needless to say the 4g is as fast as home internet and 24.99 is cheaper than my fios...and with all the options for TV i fell i dont need cable either..

I'm up for anyone who wants to use free tethering if they can ( as i def. did)

Fios is way faster than 4g... and the uploads speeds are way better. I get 50 down and and 35 up and my ping is alot lower.

Probably isnt that big of a deal if you dont download torrents and play games

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
It's like the constant copy protection battle here... we figure out how to get around their attempts to stop us, they find ANOTHER way to stop us... WE find ANOTHER!!!! loophole... it's frakking ridiculous, I'd just go back to unlimited data and charge like 10 for unlimited tethering.... that would certainly stop all of the "illegal" tethering. I'd even be willing to pay for it.

You can do almost as much on these phones, if not as much, as you can on most PCs now... so the point of using more traffic on a laptop is pretty moot. kinda funny to watch though.

Edit: I don't go to the field anymore, so the only thing I tether is my wifi xoom over BT and... with the bionic now I don't even have to do that.

What are you doing between your bionic and Xoom? Have same and would love to know, thanks