Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Yeah, it took me forever to get it to work for me tonight. (Just saw it while digging up the link for you.) Am NOT happy, especially since I HAVE to have WiFi tethering available.

I don't think I'll stick with it at the moment, but in all seriousness go back to the last stable 2.0.6 or whatever it was release and try it. I know I had better luck with 2.0.6 than I did with the pre-release ones (though they were certainly stable enough). Never know, though. :)

Dilligaf

Reaction score
I still have 2.0-pre7 on my phone and it has worked fine for quite a while, so I'll stick with it for now. Thanks!

jf7609

Reaction score
I live out in the sticks where we can't get internet (unless its by satellite:icon_eek:). So we just bought a Droid X and LG Ally to tether with. So my question is:

How many people tether and go over 5gb a month? Does Verizon care?

I also live in the country. I have tested the "unlimited data". One month I had over 35 gigabytes of usage. Never heard a thing from verizon.

mrsdm

Reaction score
Okay..I'm not young and need help!

I have read all these questions and the replies to them, but I am still lost!! Could be because I'm probably older than most Droid users!

I want to know how to tether my Droid to my laptop.
What does 'being rooted' mean? Does the Droid need to be 'rooted' to tether?

I've had my Droid since December of 2009 and have wanted to learn how to do this since the day I purchased it and heard the salesclerk at Verizon telling someone how to do it! Of course, at that time, tethering may as well have been a 'Greek' word since I was clueless as to what they were even discussing! I came home, checked it out online and found out what they were discussing...now finally I want to be able to do it!!

If someone has the time..please teach/tell me step by step what I need to do, please!!!!!

I also have the unlimited internet usage as some of the others have stated. I plan on keeping this Droid until it croaks, where I can stay on the unlimited plan!!

Thank you in advance for any help/info you can give me!

jf7609

Reaction score
Check out YouTube. There is a channel called Applepwns. He has a good step by step video on how to root. Root means you unlock your phone to install custom apps/roms and allow access to parts of the phone normally blocked. For more info, Google "what does root mean"

Sent from my Rooted DInc

mrsdm

Reaction score
So, after you root it, what do you do? If the Droid is rooted, can it hurt it or disable other stuff on it?
Thanks for your help!

jf7609

Reaction score
After you root, the only difference is on your apps, you will have a.new app called superuser. That is an app that will ask permissions if an app is trying to do something that accesses normally "restricted" parts of the phone. The main reason I rooted my phone was because I wanted to wifi tether. After rooting, I downloaded the app from the android market called "wifi tether" and now I can connect to my laptop and my ps3.

Sent from my Rooted DInc

Dilligaf

Reaction score
Check out the link that furbearingmammal gave you (the first line of his post). Lots of info there.

mrsdm

Reaction score
One more question

Okay, if I get the Droid tethered to my laptop, when I am online, will I incur any extra charges if my phone plan says I have unlimited data and internet usage??
Thank you all for helping me, especially you jf7609!!!

jf7609

Reaction score
Who is your provider? If its Verizon, then no you won't. I don't know about other providers if they are more observant of such things. I have tethered my phone before I rooted using a market app called PDANET. In one month I have put on as much as 35 gigabytes on my phone. Now that I'm rooted, I use wireless tether. But I'm watching netflix on my ps3 as UK typing this so I've already used a couple gigs in the past 2 hours. Pdanet is not as efficient as wireless tether. If tethering is all you want to do and are nervous about rooting, I suggest pdanet. Hope this helped.

Sent from my Rooted DInc