I want to unroot for the new froyo.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
[video=youtube;9udWx-KXwGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9udWx-KXwGY&feature=player_embedded"]YouTube - Flashing SPRecovery SBF File to a Motorola Droid[/video]

Use Rsdlite and install the stock 2.01. This will get you back to factory specs. Expect to get an update to 2.1 real soon.

Getting back to stock (SBF method):

You will need to have RSD Lite installed to flash the stock 2.01 sbf file for Motorola Droid.

Download the following file:
2.01 stock sbf file (browse to sbf folder)
  1. Connect your phone to the PC via USB and turn it off then while your phone is booting hold up on the DPAD.
  2. Run RSD Lite 4.6 as Administrator (For all you Vista and 7 folks out there. If you are using XP you may not need to run as Administrator)
  3. If your phone is not displayed in the "model" column you may need to do the following:
    1. Select the "config" option from the upper left corner of the tool
    2. Select DeviceId Options
    3. Select one of the two options available. By default neither are chosen, and my phone shows up fine with neither one selected.
  4. Click the [...] next to the filename box and browse to where you saved the .sbf file you want to use and double click the .sbf file.
  5. Hit start and below it should give you completion progress.
  6. Your phone will reboot and you will be on a stock 2.01 phone with no root installed.
Credit to ikithme for the original post, Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf, which I've altered slightly here.

You now are on a stock phone, unrooted, just like when you first got your phone. You can apply the OTA (over the air) update files to get to the current version.

the drivers:

Download the following files:
RSD Lite (browse rsd foldeer d/l one needed)
32 bit drivers or 64 bit drivers
  1. Install RSD Lite. Unzip the file and run the msi file
  2. Install the drivers.
Now we have RSD Lite installed which when running will let us flash some SBF files.

from droid life

Manual Android 2.1 Update for Motorola Droid

On 03.31.10, In News, by Kellex

Sure I attempt to get 5 hours of sleep and almost miss out on all the phone fun…
*Note 1* – If you need to return to stock from a custom ROM, follow these instructions.
Instructions to manually install 2.1 on your Motorola Droid:
1. Download this file: update.zip (alt link) (alt link 2) (alt link3)
2. Place file on the root of your sdcard (not in any folder)
Make sure it is named UPDATE.ZIP! Alt Link2 needs to be renamed!
3. Turn your phone off.
4. Boot into recovery (Power + X)
5. Wait for a triangle with exclamation point to appear.
6. Hit the volume up and camera button (half-way down) at the same time.
7. Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” and press in the gold button on the D-Pad.
8. Reboot
9. Bam! 2.1 goodness!
Update 10:01AM 3/31: Added a News and Note section to help those with any issues.
*Note 2* – By the way, if any of the download links drop, please contact me!
Full review coming later today for those still on the fence about unrooting.

Manual Android 2.2 Update for Motorola DROID

On 08.03.10, In News, Tips, by Kellex

The file has been released! No more staring at and refreshing your “About” screen to see if an update is available! Android 2.2 for the Motorola Droid is finally and officially here.
Screenshots from my device:
Instructions to manually install Android 2.2 on your Motorola Droid:
*THIS IS ONLY FOR NON-ROOTED STOCK 2.1 USERS.
1. Download this file: update.zip or DIRECT FROM GOOGLE LINK
2. Place file on the root of your sdcard (not in any folder).
Make sure it is named UPDATE.ZIP! The Google link will need to be renamed.
3. Turn your phone off.
4. Boot into recovery (Hold Power + X).
5. Wait for a triangle with exclamation point to appear and release Power and X.
6. Hit the volume up and camera button (half-way down) at the same time.
7. Using the D-Pad select “apply update.zip” and press in the gold button on the D-Pad.
8. Your phone will now run the update.
9. When it finishes, use th D-Pad to select reboot phone.
10. Your phone will reboot with Android 2.2.
Update 1: If you would like FLASH installed, download it here.
Update 2: Download Chrome to Phone here.
Enjoy everyone! And let us know if you run into any issues during the installation process. We’ve got a ton of great community members to help out.
Big cheers to LarryR for figuring out the URL. We tried but realized we are bloggers, not code crackers.

why unroot when all of the 2.2 roms available offer alot more?

That's a legit question, but a lot of people are doing it anyway. A lot of people rooted 2.1 just for features that are default in 2.2. Plus, there have been rumors of some slight differences in the final release vs what we have leaked to us.

There are threads popping up of people asking how to unroot for 2.2. If they want to go stock here is the solution. I have no plans on ever going back to stock unless my device have to go back to vzw, or I buy a new device, and at that point Im looking to root asap.

Very informative, thank you for this. I'm curious though ... is there a reason to go back to 2.0.1 instead of loading a stock 2.1 file? Does one not exist?

Very informative, thank you for this. I'm curious though ... is there a reason to go back to 2.0.1 instead of loading a stock 2.1 file? Does one not exist?

By flashing back to 2.0.1 .sbf file, you also go back to the stock bootloader, therefore allowing the 2.2 OTA update to even happen. I don't believe there is another way to do that.

Thanks for this good sticky because there will be a lot of people looking to unroot for the OTA 2.2 Froyo in the next few days. I have no plans to unroot because I'm happy with my theme and OC Kernel. Other things like wifi tether being available when we travel is another reason to stay with root.

My only question is, if someone goes back to stock 2.1 to get the 2.2 OTA, is it possible that they may not be able to root again, or could they just reinstall a current ROM? Probably not because you'd lose SPRecovery if you unroot, right?

By flashing back to 2.0.1 .sbf file, you also go back to the stock bootloader, therefore allowing the 2.2 OTA update to even happen. I don't believe there is another way to do that.

Yes, I understand that. I was just curious why we're loading 2.0.1 and doing an OTA (or manual) update to 2.1 to get the OTA update to 2.2. Why can't you push 2.1 back on the phone and then get the 2.2 OTA update?

Thanks for this good sticky because there will be a lot of people looking to unroot for the OTA 2.2 Froyo in the next few days. I have no plans to unroot because I'm happy with my theme and OC Kernel. Other things like wifi tether being available when we travel is another reason to stay with root.

My only question is, if someone goes back to stock 2.1 to get the 2.2 OTA, is it possible that they may not be able to root again, or could they just reinstall a current ROM? Probably not because you'd lose SPRecovery if you unroot, right?

Well, I can't say for sure, but unless the 2.2 OTA changes something in the bootloader, I would think that we could always use RSD Lite to flash sprecovery, and then put whatever we want on the phone. Not that that couldn't happen, but I believe the bootloader is the key.

I personally tried to root my device with DroidMod last night (First attempt at rooting), and kinda rushed it like a noob and while I didn't brick my phone, I didn't do it correctly. I was up searching all last night till midnight, then again today for a few hours until I found this awesome thread. I wanted to go back to day one of when I bought my phone, and allow itself to OTA 2.1, then of course 2.2.

So I guess the answer to your question is people like me get a tad scared, and want to start from the beginning and do things correctly from the start thanks to the knowledge this forum greatly offers.

Alternately, my SD card still has folders from old apps I had installed, as well as the DroidMod ROM and ClockWorkMod. If I go in and format the SD card through the settings screen, will that mess up the stock SBF I just installed?

how do you unroot after the whole dm thing on a mac. i tried to use rom manager and it didnt work? pm me or reply here idc but please let me know of away

ive used RSD before to root from 2.1 and it worked perfectly, but now im trying to unroot from 2.2 but RSD wont recognize the SBF file. It recognizes my DROID just fine but the SBF file shows nothing under file properties and the start button is grayed out. Ive been searching google for an hour now and looking at different threads with the same problem and ive tried pretty much everything and it still wont recognize the sbf file. Does anyone have any suggestions?

im running vista 32bit and ive tried uninstalling both RSD lite and the Moto drivers and reinstalling them and doing countless reboots and ive run everything as admin permisions..still nothing.

ive used RSD before to root from 2.1 and it worked perfectly, but now im trying to unroot from 2.2 but RSD wont recognize the SBF file. It recognizes my DROID just fine but the SBF file shows nothing under file properties and the start button is grayed out. Ive been searching google for an hour now and looking at different threads with the same problem and ive tried pretty much everything and it still wont recognize the sbf file. Does anyone have any suggestions?

im running vista 32bit and ive tried uninstalling both RSD lite and the Moto drivers and reinstalling them and doing countless reboots and ive run everything as admin permisions..still nothing.

Having the same problem here on Windows 7 32 bit. Had the problem when I first rooted 2.1 but that was a long time ago and I forgot how to fix it..... Help??...

Thanks,
Brick

Back