I Need a new phone!

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
OK it is official. I need a new phone. My wonderful Galaxy Nexus still does many things well. It just will not ring or vibrate more than once for anything. Makes it useless as a phone.Switching apps had gotten really slow until I just tried to install a new app and it informed me I was out of room. I deleted a movie so speed has improved to useful. Many of the newer phones have things I love about them, and other things I hate. No one seems perfect to me.

I would like a 64bit processor so that it could have over 3gb of internal memory to load apps into. I'm sure the manufacturer would also add about 3.5gb of crap. Dumb.

I'd like it to be able to use 128gb micro-SD cards. I don't have one but I keep my phones forever and by the time it dies I'm sure that won't be enough. *I still remember buying a Mac years ago with 700mb HD and wondered how I could ever fill it up.

I need a good bright screen for my old eyes. No smaller than the one I have now - better would be good. A battery that lasted at least a day is required (hopefully). I can add external battery for those bad times. Used to want removable one but have moved on.

Lastly any new phone with less than 32gb user storage is just plain dumb. Memory is cheap - add it! 64gb would be great unless the phone can access USB drives.

What is out there that meets or at least comes close? People are getting to think I'm anti social as I ne ver answer calls!

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
All great choices on above post....Note 4 and G3 for screen size..I'm hearing the Note 4 has incredible screen must take a look first hand though....if you are in good signal area Samsung should be good....

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Don't forget the Note 4 Edge...

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
I looked at the S5 as I have a Samsung phone now (although without its 'additions'). I was disappointed it only had 16gb user and 2gb internal when Sammy is the top memory maker. Other than that it looked and felt great. For some reason the LG G3 didn't feel right. It felt like I could get cut where the bezel met the screen. A bit big but I most worried about its battery. I have never even thought about a note but just might try that. I liked the specs. Just didn't know if I'd like the size (I've not held it).

I know I sound picky but I keep a phone forever so want the top I can get. Also I have unlimited so I likely have to pay full price. I've thought of giving unlimited up for the 6gb + my old call and text to ge the phone cheaper. Its been 3 years since a new phone.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I looked at the S5 as I have a Samsung phone now (although without its 'additions'). I was disappointed it only had 16gb user and 2gb internal when Sammy is the top memory maker. Other than that it looked and felt great. For some reason the LG G3 didn't feel right. It felt like I could get cut where the bezel met the screen. A bit big but I most worried about its battery. I have never even thought about a note but just might try that. I liked the specs. Just didn't know if I'd like the size (I've not held it).

I know I sound picky but I keep a phone forever so want the top I can get. Also I have unlimited so I likely have to pay full price. I've thought of giving unlimited up for the 6gb + my old call and text to ge the phone cheaper. Its been 3 years since a new phone.
The size of the Notes takes about a day to acclimate to holding in your hand. Holding a tablet upside your head to talk on takes a few more days.
My personal opinion if you're not liking the G3, the Note 4 would be my choice. If I wasn't so smitten with my G2 and its lack of Samsung bloatware I'd be all over the Note 4. I moved from a Note2 to the G2 when I switched carriers and really liked it except for Verizon bloatware, Google bloatware AND Samsung bloatware.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk

Chanblesas

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S4
G3, Note 4, S5 and M8 are great candidate. But I' d go with LG G3, everything looks fine. Note's screen is a bit larger.

OP
zinethar

zinethar

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8 and Note 10
Thanks for the personal suggestions. They really help with the decision that I should have made 2 months ago. I do wish Verizon would offer something worthwhile to get me to give up my unlimited because full price really sucks.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Make sure to check out the new Moto X and I've heard that Verizon is getting the Xperia z3 too (though no release time frame).

Edwin Bos

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Congratulations! ;)
(always fun to buy a new one)

Maybe you dont even need the latest phone. I bought a Samsung S3 about a year back (large and clear screen, packed with a quad core A9 Cortex processor clocked at 1.4GHz, should be enough from reading your post).

Point is, a slightly older model can most likely do whatever you need it to do, but at less than half the price. Think you can buy one (new) around $200...

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Congratulations! ;)
(always fun to buy a new one)

Maybe you dont even need the latest phone. I bought a Samsung S3 about a year back (large and clear screen, packed with a quad core A9 Cortex processor clocked at 1.4GHz, should be enough from reading your post).

Point is, a slightly older model can most likely do whatever you need it to do, but at less than half the price. Think you can buy one (new) around $200...

S3 is a dual-core processor.
I wish the S5 had 3gb ram instead of just 2. I sit around 1.4/1.81gb being used with nothing major running. That being said, I don't use my phone for anything other than normal usage.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Edwin Bos

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
S3 is a dual-core processor.
I wish the S5 had 3gb ram instead of just 2. I sit around 1.4/1.81gb being used with nothing major running. That being said, I don't use my phone for anything other than normal usage.

Thanks for your remark, but it is not really correct.

The S III comes in two distinct variations that differ primarily in the internal hardware:
- The international S III version has Samsung's Exynos 4 Quadsystem on a chip (SoC) containing a 1.4 GHz quad-core ARM Cortex-A9central processing unit (CPU) and an ARMMali-400 MPgraphics processing unit (GPU).
- Samsung had also released several 4GLTE versions—Most of these versions useQualcomm's Snapdragon S4 SoC featuring a dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait CPU and an Adreno 225 GPU.

Source: wikipedia (and my own phone specs)

So yes, the S3 comes with a quad core processor...

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
That's right, I forgot the international version was quad. Since I'm here in the US, it was easy to forget :)

steveky

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
I'm in a similar situation in that I've has my Nexus since release and I'm still on my unlimited plan. It's working fine now but I'm preparing for the day it craps out and I need to pick up a new phone at full price. As of right now, I'd probably pick up the Moto X. I'm not a power user and I want to go back to Motorola because I went from the OG Droid to the Nexus. I'll sacrifice the replaceable battery for a better radio. I'll probably pick up some external charger for when I go on long hikes. I'd also like to keep the size down if I could.