Who still uses D1 and What is catching your eye?

electric6

Reaction score
Man, are you serious? So all the touchscreen badboys next year are gonna be dual core?! Now if that is true maybe its a good thing big red decided to wait. I dont know anything about the tegra series chips other than being in MOTO's only, but if htc had the mecha with dual core that would be pimpin :rockon:

D2 Global (re-release of an already available device), Galaxy Tab (not a phone), Continuum (meh... if you wanna consider this a high end competitor go ahead... not for me :)) and Droid Pro (it's marketed in competition with BB devices... not in the same category as the all touch screen devices IMO)

so... as I stated... weak holiday line up from Verizon for those of us looking to upgrade.

it COULD have been much stronger if a certain phone(!) would have been up for pre-order today, but it got cancelled so who knows?? If i could just take a evo4G and replace the radios with a verizon compatible set i would be happy with that. Not asking too much since the evo has been out since march, but it looks like HTC is gonna be greedy with it lol:icon_evil:
maybe we'll get lucky and something will drop before the end of the year.... although I highly doubt it.

at least they (vzw) made my decision for me, I'm holding out for a dual core device now!.... since I have no choice really! lol

tabraha

Reaction score
I'm not letting go of my D1 until something with some serious juice and a smokin screen comes out. The newer devices are nice but as Cereal Killer stated they are too incremental for my tastes. This little D1 needs to go another 6 months or so I'd guess...

garrett

Silver Member
Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I got my D1 the weekend it came out and nothing has come out since that has even peaked my interest, not even slightly. Now with LTE being rolled out as we speak im not upgrading until LTE android devices are available.

UNC

Reaction score
seems like a waste of a holiday shopping season on Verizon's part....

Galaxy Tab, droid 2 global, droid pro, continuum? That's a pretty good mix.

With that being said I think Verizon is clearing landing space for the vPhone4 in early January....

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

D2 Global (re-release of an already available device), Galaxy Tab (not a phone), Continuum (meh... if you wanna consider this a high end competitor go ahead... not for me :)) and Droid Pro (it's marketed in competition with BB devices... not in the same category as the all touch screen devices IMO)

so... as I stated... weak holiday line up from Verizon for those of us looking to upgrade.

Continuum is a Galaxy S phone, so I definitely consider it a high-end touch only device, Droid2 Global is a high-end qwerty device, and the Droid Pro is a super Blackberry... that's a little for everyone. Now throw in not only the Galaxy Tab, but also the iPad, and possibly the sub-$500 Blackberry Playbook.... that seems pretty impressive to me.

Not impressive enough for me to replace my Droid1, but impressive nonetheless.

Rsswga

Reaction score
i have droid 1..im available for an upgrade in feb...right now it is the droid pro id perfer...
i miss my blackberry but love the android apps..solution is the droid pro

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Galaxy Tab, droid 2 global, droid pro, continuum? That's a pretty good mix.

With that being said I think Verizon is clearing landing space for the vPhone4 in early January....

Continuum is a Galaxy S phone, so I definitely consider it a high-end touch only device, Droid2 Global is a high-end qwerty device, and the Droid Pro is a super Blackberry... that's a little for everyone. Now throw in not only the Galaxy Tab, but also the iPad, and possibly the sub-$500 Blackberry Playbook.... that seems pretty impressive to me.

bottom line... we both agree their holiday season devices don't garner any interest for a D1 owner to upgrade :)

we're looking from different perspectives... and I don't discredit yours at all... but its clear neither of us like what's available now enough to upgrade! :)

*DroidForums app DOES*

UNC

Reaction score

bottom line... we both agree their holiday season devices don't garner any interest for a D1 owner to upgrade :)

we're looking from different perspectives... and I don't discredit yours at all... but its clear neither of us like what's available now enough to upgrade! :)

*DroidForums app DOES*

I agree and disagree at the same time! I definitely would buy Droid 2 Global if the vPhone4 wasn't right around the corner. I love the layout of the Droid and Droid 2, and I really want to get a global Verizon phone (and retire ADP1), but the finish of the vPhone is too much to pass up on. I'll keep my Droid 1 as a backup, much like my Incredible backs up the Droid 1 right now.

MattXB

Reaction score
D1 owner and there is nothing at all out that garners my interest. Will most likely wait until my contract is up before getting another phone. As long as my Droid is rooted, overclocked, and I can watch live hockey games on it I'm set.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

*DroidForums app DOES*

I agree and disagree at the same time! I definitely would buy Droid 2 Global if the vPhone4 wasn't right around the corner. I love the layout of the Droid and Droid 2, and I really want to get a global Verizon phone (and retire ADP1), but the finish of the vPhone is too much to pass up on. I'll keep my Droid 1 as a backup, much like my Incredible backs up the Droid 1 right now.

we're just waiting for different things... but none the less, regardless on when they come... we're still left waiting :)

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have an unrooted D1, bought on 11/6/09. Still happy with it (may root it though), but am looking for the 4G Android phone when it comes out (I live in a city that'll be getting it).

UNC

Reaction score

*DroidForums app DOES*

we're just waiting for different things... but none the less, regardless on when they come... we're still left waiting :)

+1

OP
M

mikespe

Reaction score
WOW! This thread got bigger than I ever thought it would! :) My upgrade is due in July and in all honesty I haven't seen much to be impressed with yet. I agree that this holiday season will NOT be an Android Christmas! Too bad really but maybe that means the next generation of Droids will be that much better. We all got spoiled with the constant release of new phones this past year or 2...not it's slowing to a crawl...I am sure by July there will be much to talk about!

Until then I will enjoy my rooted D1! I hope the app developers can continue to impress me with their programing ideas! Maybe I will finally flash a rom onto myu phone to see what that's all about!

Nick177th

Reaction score
Droid 1 rooted since day 1. Waiting for the Motorola Terminator possible or the Inc HD.

My sentiments exactly. Those are the only two phones that made me even THINK about upgrading. I've been rooted since early summer. This is my first smart phone. I was really surprised at how fast new devices are churned out. Being rooted, you can pretty much keep up with the software changes. However, you can never keep up with the hardware changes. A device will always be obsolete within 4 to 6 months tops. I love my rooted "OG" Droid. Droid for life baby.

pdc419

Reaction score
Yeah the Droid x does look sweet but I'd have to second the Olympus. My next phone will most likely be a tegra 2 phone of some type

kylo77

Reaction score
Still rockin the D1 here. I've had it since day one of the release and rooted soon after it was capable. The dev community for the D1 is the biggest out there and they do an incredible job of keeping this phone up to speed and even passing the other phones on the market. Just upgraded to UD2 and have no plans of changing devices right now. At this point I'll probably wait til the spring time to see what is on the market as I'm sure there will be some good dual core devices. I'm in the telepresence/video conferencing business so the next killer app will be the ability to join one of these devices to a telepresence/VC call. I know that the Avaya Flare (Android tab) can do this today.

Let's see what the future brings...but for now the D1 stays!dancedroid