I feel stupid, my DroidX is wiped, NO OS.

blakebritton

Reaction score
OK - in the midst of getting my phone into gingerbread, I was going to do a full SBF wipe and all that, well, I updated using koush bootstrap and even installed the GB zip file. What I did afterward was stupid. I decided to wipe the cache right after install without even restarting the phone. What I believed has happened now is that my phone has been left with a blank slate.

My DX will turn on, but the only thing that appears is the white M logo. It just hangs there. I've tried getting into the bootloader, which isn't a problem, and using RSDlite (tried 4.7, 4.8 and 4.9) to load the .340 SBF, and RSD lite will NOT see my phone. I have no problems with it seeing my phone when it's in PC mode.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my phone into a bootable state where I can SBF again?

barski

Reaction score
I know how you feel with RSD. That program needs some fine tuning that's for sure. I assume you have used it before with that droid x, so i would just leave the droid x plugged in then start rsd and leave it alone for 5min then come back and search for device. That's what worked best for me. good luck!

timelord

Reaction score
There are a ton of threads dealing with sbf procudeures, I suggest you check around. Just sbf and you'll be ok. No need to panic.

OP
B

blakebritton

Reaction score
sure there are procedures, but most deal with being able to put the droidx into PC mode, which I cannot do. I've left RSD on with the DX in bootloader for about a half hour and it will not recognize it .

Is there perhaps an update.zip file that I can load straight from the stock recovery of the DX?

DXjunkie

Reaction score
Don't feel stupid... you're learning from your mistakes ( I hope :).
Did you find the PC drivers? And did you fond the latest SBF?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Use this link and laod the latest SBF under instructions: #2 http://www.droid-life.com/2011/03/29/how-to-root-gingerbread-on-droid-x/

You'll know if it's the correct SBF, it will be VRZ_MB810_2.3.34_1FF

( I was stuck in red"M" bootloop and then accidentally did a total wipe. Bootloader said Error no system info... etc. Use that SBF in bootloader mode; cross your fingers/ should work. remember battery pull and reconnect before wiping cache and reebooting.)

Last edited:

izzo540

Reaction score
Are you opening the bootloader? Make sure when youre connecting it to the computer youre holding the Power button the Camera button and the volume up button. The phone will flash to white writing, that is when youre supposed to connect the phone for RSD lite.. Also if youre having trouble with RSD lite not recognizing the phone, go into your c:/ program files > motorola > RSD Lite and delete all flex logs and .log files, then try again looking for the device. Keep in touch I had the same problem and I'm almost sure i'll be able to help you fix it.

OP
B

blakebritton

Reaction score
Are you opening the bootloader? Make sure when youre connecting it to the computer youre holding the Power button the Camera button and the volume up button. The phone will flash to white writing, that is when youre supposed to connect the phone for RSD lite.. Also if youre having trouble with RSD lite not recognizing the phone, go into your c:/ program files > motorola > RSD Lite and delete all flex logs and .log files, then try again looking for the device. Keep in touch I had the same problem and I'm almost sure i'll be able to help you fix it.

I actually used volume down to get into bootloader, not volume up. Oh well. Still no luck though. I also used the current SBF file as well.

Oh well. Verizon is sending me a replacement. Helps to be under the TEC plan.

pool_shark

Reaction score
So many people have screwed up their phones trying new ROMs.
So many people have sent their phones back to Verizon for a replacement afterward.

When the phones are received by Verizon and inspected for restock, do they bother to find out that the problem is user error and make you pay for the replacements or do they just clean it up and move on?

OP
B

blakebritton

Reaction score
the only thing wrong with my phone is that there's no OS on it. I accidentally wiped it. The only thing Verizon will do is run a diagnostic on it and reprogram it and send it back out as a refurb.

OP
B

blakebritton

Reaction score
you don't have to be an ass about it. People like you are what make other normally sane people go postal.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
You dont understand that rooting, ****ing up your phone, being TOO STUPID TO FIX IT YOURSELF, so you send it back to Verizon on an insurance claim, where they DO find out its been rooted, and then make it all better and send you another is wrong.

You also didnt read that thread.

pool_shark

Reaction score
the only thing wrong with my phone is that there's no OS on it. I accidentally wiped it. The only thing Verizon will do is run a diagnostic on it and reprogram it and send it back out as a refurb.

Understood, but Verizon knows the OS didn't just disappear.
So basically even though it voids the warranty, they don't appear to care. If that's the case why are they making it so difficult to make changes?

The question is rhetorical.

OP
B

blakebritton

Reaction score
You dont understand that rooting, ****ing up your phone, being TOO STUPID TO FIX IT YOURSELF, so you send it back to Verizon on an insurance claim, where they DO find out its been rooted, and then make it all better and send you another is wrong.

You also didnt read that thread.

You can't find out that it's been rooted if there's nothing on the phone to begin with.

I made a simple error. I've rooted my phone several times, I know the drill, the method and yes, I've even messed it up before, having to use RSD to SBF it back to stock. I KNOW how to do that. Tell me, O WISE ONE, do you know how to fix this problem? If not, are YOU too stupid?

The problem is that I just got a little too button happy and wiped the cache before my phone had a chance to boot first. Oops. My Bad.

OP
B

blakebritton

Reaction score

Understood, but Verizon knows the OS didn't just disappear.
So basically even though it voids the warranty, they don't appear to care. If that's the case why are they making it so difficult to make changes?

The question is rhetorical.

I totally understand that too. I'm not arguing against it. I have seen Droid phones though get bricked through an OTA update. Hell, when I was on TMo and had the G1, it happened to me. It's not unheard of, just rare.