I feel stupid, my DroidX is wiped, NO OS.

zebr4

Reaction score
No. It won't do that for some reason. Have any suggestions?

Snow02

Reaction score
No. Sorry. If you can't get into recovery after sbf, you're SOL. Sorry. Water must have killed it.

rudydroid

Reaction score
No. It won't do that for some reason. Have any suggestions?

no offense is intended in any manner from this post.

i suggest (urge you) don't give up zebra4. check some of the other forums. i cannot believe your problem is unique.

over on droid x forum there is a *rescue squad.* i'm not saying it's members will have the answer, but if you cannot find it in one place, look elsewhere.

the more people who know of your problem, the more likely someone with the right knowledge will see your post and help.

i'm a member of several forums for precisely this reason.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
You need the full 2.3.340 SBF which will also update your bootloader. Try flashing that sbf using rsdlite 4.8 or 4.9

Snow02

Reaction score
If the 2.3.34 sbf did indeed flash, and he can't get into stock recovery, the most you can hope for is let it dry longer, or dip it in 100% ethanol then dry, and hope it comes back.

Check your bootloader version to make sure it updated. It should be 30.04 now.

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ya if it is indeed water damaged there's not much you can do. Stick it in some silica and let it dry for a few days but if you turned it on while it was still wet you probably fried it.

michael_porter

Reaction score
You just need to factory reset. Turn it on by holding home + power. When the triangle comes up, let go and then press both volume buttons. Choose factory reset. Then choose reboot.

Navigate with the volume buttons, select with the power button.

Snow02 - is this a CWR-specifc sequence? I tried this, but didn't get the same results.

I have essentially the same issue as the two other guys here. I'm only getting the M logo and can go no further. I am also able to get into the stock recovery menu via cam + vol down + power. Once differece: I am using bootloader 30.03. Everything seems to work well with RSD Lite: it even "completes" the flashing process. I believe I may be using the wrong SBF file, though... VRZ_MB810_2.3.32_1FF_01.sbf. Thoughts? I have not been able to find the earlier SBF file.

I feel your pain. Get to the bootloader and try following Barski's instructions exactly; it was the only thing that worked for me. It's tedious, but well worth it. Good luck, man!

zebr4

Reaction score
Thanks for all of the suggestions, guys. I definitely appreciate all of the advice.

I think as a last-ditch "hail mary", I will try RSDLite 4.9. My gut is telling me that flashing the 2.3.340 SBF was the right thing to try, but at this point, I'm really feeling that the issue is hardware. Since the warranty is history on this, I am going to open it up. I have a hunch that the front-panel buttons may not be working. I am suspicious about the internal flash memory working now, though. My bootloader still says 30.03, while RSDLite 4.8 said the flash was successful both times. The only other data I have is in the log files from RSDLite. There are a few errors in there, but they are about the 14 character AP and BP values. I left the settings for these at default. I can post more details if someone thinks that this might be a path to go down.

Thanks again, all! I'll keep you updated :greendroid:

zebr4

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed RSDLite 4.9. I flashed the 2.3.340 SBF again. The progress meters read as usual: Flashing group NN, Group NN checksum passed - the phone displays the normal status messages "SW Update...", etc. The phone gets rebooted by RSDLite, and gets to the M logo. After about 10 seconds, the green light goes out, but the red charging light doesn't come on. It's as if it hangs just as it is about to load the OS/ROM. RSDLite reads "Please manually power up this phone." and the Motorola device is no longer in device manager (it's not showing as connected). So, I suppose we are right where we were before. It's just a matter of where the hardware issue lies :) Hopefully, my experience will help someone else out in some way. :blackdroid:

Snow02

Reaction score
If your bootloader is still 30.03, the sbf isn't completely flashing. The last thing to flash is the bootloader. It should say ramdownloader, mbm, or something asking those lines in the rsd status. I find it odd rsd would say the flash is successful when it clearly wasn't.

But water damage can cause such a wide variety of random issues, who knows. Open her up. Wipe everything down with alcohol, paying special attention to connectors and contact points. You might get lucky.

barski

Reaction score
That is strange.
A couple things to try would be make sure the computer doesn't fall asleep when doing this. And just for the heck of it remove the micro sd card under the battery.

Sometime after a flash mine will hang so i just give it a battery pull.

The water could have fried something but i don't think its very likely. I know a guy who went swimming with his droid x, and it was fully soaked. He let it dry out and it worked, but i don't think the bottom key lights did. Its possibly there is a little water left in the inside on 2 pins of a chip that's causing you problems.

Last edited:

zebr4

Reaction score
I am happy to say that after spending a lot of time fooling around, trial and error, the phone is finally in working order.

After all of the troubleshooting and attempts at reflashing, the problem was what I had suspected near the end: a hardware issue with the front keypad. I went out and bought a Torx T5 screw driver (a good one) and stripped the phone down. I could see where the water had run through the phone. I cleaned all of that up, but no luck on restoring it to working order. I finally started disconnecting components and cables. I disconnected the thin ribbon cable that runs to the front buttons and found some debris burned onto some of the connectors. The connector itself had some dark spots. It looks as if some water may have made its way into there and the impurities caused the coating on two of the pins. I gently cleaned the pins with isopropyl and a small flat-head screw driver, hooked it back up, and powered on. After about 20 seconds, it went passed the M logo and started the Droid animation. A minute later and it was fully booted!

I have to say, I learned a lot about Android phones this week :) I appreciate all of the help and suggestions that you guys gave me. I hope that all of this information will help someone else out there who has issues with their phone.

- zebr4 - :blackdroid:

zebr4

Reaction score
If your bootloader is still 30.03, the sbf isn't completely flashing. The last thing to flash is the bootloader. It should say ramdownloader, mbm, or something asking those lines in the rsd status. I find it odd rsd would say the flash is successful when it clearly wasn't.

But water damage can cause such a wide variety of random issues, who knows. Open her up. Wipe everything down with alcohol, paying special attention to connectors and contact points. You might get lucky.

If I'm not mistaken, this is a basic thing in electronics... I have often used isopropyl back in the day when I worked on PCs. And I have to say, I re-read this and... YOU WERE SPOT ON. :) Thanks again, Snow02!

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I am happy to say that after spending a lot of time fooling around, trial and error, the phone is finally in working order.

After all of the troubleshooting and attempts at reflashing, the problem was what I had suspected near the end: a hardware issue with the front keypad. I went out and bought a Torx T5 screw driver (a good one) and stripped the phone down. I could see where the water had run through the phone. I cleaned all of that up, but no luck on restoring it to working order. I finally started disconnecting components and cables. I disconnected the thin ribbon cable that runs to the front buttons and found some debris burned onto some of the connectors. The connector itself had some dark spots. It looks as if some water may have made its way into there and the impurities caused the coating on two of the pins. I gently cleaned the pins with isopropyl and a small flat-head screw driver, hooked it back up, and powered on. After about 20 seconds, it went passed the M logo and started the Droid animation. A minute later and it was fully booted!

I have to say, I learned a lot about Android phones this week :) I appreciate all of the help and suggestions that you guys gave me. I hope that all of this information will help someone else out there who has issues with their phone.

- zebr4 - :blackdroid:
Awesome work and perseverance...and thats why Droid Does!:)