HTC Evo 3D LOCKED!

UNC

Reaction score
I called this months ago when everyone was saying "OMGZ MOTO SUXORS BOYCOTT THEM"

I believe my comment verbatim was "Won't it be funny when the iPhone is the LEAST locked-down phone...." I guess I was on to something.

Everyone's misunderstanding of "open-source" made them think that Android would always be "unlocked".....

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
Guess they're taking the Moto route. I wonder how long it is before all phones are locked like this.

Its not the manufacturers, its the carriers that are pretty much requiring it :(

David, do you really think so? That casts Verizon and AT&T in a more sinister light than I'd originally thought. Assuming you're correct though, how did the Droid 1 slip through the cracks?

-Mike

yahwarrior

Reaction score
The Evo 3d has a UNLIMITED 4g data plan and great specs to go with it. You might get a unlocked Thunderbolt on Verizon but you won't be using it for long after the 5 or 10 gig limit.

Parter28

Reaction score
I really hope that Samsung doesn't lock down the GS 2 variants. The original is unlocked, so hopefully it will stay the same when it comes to the states.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I called this months ago when everyone was saying "OMGZ MOTO SUXORS BOYCOTT THEM"

I believe my comment verbatim was "Won't it be funny when the iPhone is the LEAST locked-down phone...." I guess I was on to something.

Everyone's misunderstanding of "open-source" made them think that Android would always be "unlocked".....

+1. Never understood the hate on Moto, when it was blatantly obvious that every manufacturer would be taking this route. I think I'm more surprised that some of the people here are surprised by this.

But you hit the nail on the head, and it's something I've alluded to before as well. Everyone loves to scream "OPEN SOURCE FTW!!!!" and half of them (most probably more) have no clue what "open source" actually means.

I'm still waiting for the Bionic though. Locked or not, it'll be my next phone, and I won't expect Verizon/Moto to allow me to steal service because "it's my phone cuz I boughtz it" haha

Android is "open source"...that doesn't mean it's a free-for-all to do as you want on any carrier and have complete control of Verizon or any other carrier's network. Oh and BTW...Google knows and agrees to this stuff too...don't play the "they're being forced by the carriers" card...

Long read but Google is involved in every step of the process: How Google controls Android: digging deep into the Skyhook filings | This is my next...

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Guess they're taking the Moto route. I wonder how long it is before all phones are locked like this.

Its not the manufacturers, its the carriers that are pretty much requiring it :(

David, do you really think so? That casts Verizon and AT&T in a more sinister light than I'd originally thought. Assuming you're correct though, how did the Droid 1 slip through the cracks?

-Mike

Every party involved has a say, including Google. Verizon is not throwing down some iron fist and Google and the OEMs are cowering in fear...

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
The Evo 3d has a UNLIMITED 4g data plan and great specs to go with it. You might get a unlocked Thunderbolt on Verizon but you won't be using it for long after the 5 or 10 gig limit.

I guess you think everyone goes over 5gb?

yahwarrior

Reaction score

I guess you think everyone goes over 5gb?
No, but they will if they use services like this: [video=youtube;OuUhraEsGf0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuUhraEsGf0]YouTube - ‪HTC presenting OnLive for the HTC Flyer at MWC 2011‬‏[/video]

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

-Mike

The Droid 1 was basically the beginning of Android smartphones becoming data intensive and highly popular. Also, they didn't have tethering set up for it either. As the smartphone market began to mature and they saw how much data people were going to use, how much they were going to steal, how many phones were going to be sent in for false warranty claims, and other things like people making their pjthey probably decided locking them down was best.

Sent from my Transformer

King_Bean

Reaction score
So, what exactly does this mean? A locked bootloader = no rooting, correct? If so, I'm totally cool with that. My og Droid has been rooted since January 2010 and I've run dozens and dozens of custom ROMs. FOR ME, the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted. Thus, I wouldn't root my next Android device, even if I could. There's nothing I can do rooted that I can't do stock. Well, let me rephrase that: the things I can do rooted (overclock, wirelessly tether, run custom roms) are things that I don't care about. Plus, rooting/ROM'ing is waaaay too much work for me.

BUT if rooting/ROM'ing is a big deal for you, I TOTALLY understand why you would be pissed by these latest developments. Nevertheless, a stock Android phone is still vastly different from a stock iPhone.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
So, what exactly does this mean? A locked bootloader = no rooting, correct? If so, I'm totally cool with that. My og Droid has been rooted since January 2010 and I've run dozens and dozens of custom ROMs. FOR ME, the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted. Thus, I wouldn't root my next Android device, even if I could. There's nothing I can do rooted that I can't do stock. Well, let me rephrase that: the things I can do rooted (overclock, wirelessly tether, run custom roms) are things that I don't care about. Plus, rooting/ROM'ing is waaaay too much work for me.

BUT if rooting/ROM'ing is a big deal for you, I TOTALLY understand why you would be pissed by these latest developments. Nevertheless, a stock Android phone is still vastly different from a stock iPhone.

Hey King, you lost me on one point: you said "the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted", and I honestly can't think of one "pro" to remaining stock - unless you're talking about not voiding the warranty. Other than that, I view "rooted" as being like the Administrator on a PC and "stock" as being the guest who logs on occasionally. What can a guest do that the administrator can't? Or what are the pros of being a guest over being an administrator?

-Mike

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

Hey King, you lost me on one point: you said "the pros of staying stock outweigh the advantages of being rooted", and I honestly can't think of one "pro" to remaining stock - unless you're talking about not voiding the warranty. Other than that, I view "rooted" as being like the Administrator on a PC and "stock" as being the guest who logs on occasionally. What can a guest do that the administrator can't? Or what are the pros of being a guest over being an administrator?

-Mike

most probably a stability thing. ROMs always have issues that need to be addressed,whereas the stock OTAs, while might issues are relatively stable. Although to be fair, if there is an issue with an OTA its a nightmare being forced to wait for an official fix.

Fightnfire

Reaction score

Being rooted and flashing custom ROM's are two different things. I have flashed a few ROM but would not be upset by a locked bootloader not allowing it. I would be pissed if I could not root my phone.

A locked bootloader does not mean you can't root. It means it will be that much harder to develop and flash ROM's.

King_Bean

Reaction score

-Mike

Sorry for the lack of clarity. You're right, being rooted does have some obvious advantages to being stock. WHAT I MEANT TO SAY was that I PERSONALLY would prefer to be stock than rooted. Without going into details, I'll just say that being rooted is a huge hassle for me b/c I have no discipline and I feel the need to flash ROMs. And, in my experience, flashing ROM's leads to A LOT of time spent working through bugs, backing up apps, restoring apps, etc. etc. That's just too much work and it's not worth it for me. If I had some discipline and didn't feel the need to flash ROMs then, yes, I suppose being rooted would not much of a hassle (as someone mentions in a post below this one) but I'm not going to even bother rooting strictly for wireless tethering or root-only apps.

most probably a stability thing. ROMs always have issues that need to be addressed,whereas the stock OTAs, while might issues are relatively stable. Although to be fair, if there is an issue with an OTA its a nightmare being forced to wait for an official fix.

This is what I meant to say. I just like having a phone that works without having to think about the bugs that may or may not be present with the latest ROM I've flashed. Not to mention the insane amount of time spent on ROM'ing (again, this may just pertain to me because I didn't have the discipline to stick with one ROM).

Now, if having a locked bootloader one day prevents me from having USB tethering, I might get SLIGHTLY pissed just based on the fact that I may need USB tethering in the future (even though I virtually never tether now).