HTC May Change Their Mind On BootLoader Policy; We Won't Hold Our Breath

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-bootloader.jpg

Late yesterday one of our staffers, Malvado, brought you a story that the HTC EVO 3D was coming with a locked bootloader. Even though the EVO 3D is not a Verizon phone, his article was really just pointing out that locked bootloaders may be a trend within HTC, and perhaps within the industry as a whole. furthermore, he pointed out how tough to crack HTC's new bootloader was, but that developers will inevitably find work-arounds.

As a follow-up to his story, there is a new article floating around the interwebs that HTC has actually heard the many complaints about this and are considering revising their policy. Here is their Facebook post on the subject,
Thanks so much for providing feedback, we hear your concerns. Your satisfaction is a top priority for us and we're working hard to ensure you have great experiences with our phones. We're reviewing the issue and our policy around bootloaders and will provide more information soon. Thank you for your interest, support and willingness to share your feedback.

That isn't exactly a glaring endorsement that they may change anything, and in fact, it is rather vague. Perhaps it is a baby-step in the right direction, though.
I doubt any of us will hold our breath, but we can cross our fingers. :)

Source: AndroidCentral

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
It could also be looked at as they are revising their policy of open bootloaders and are going to locked bootloaders.

bplewis24

Reaction score
In any case, this puts the final nail in the coffin of people thinking Moto & Verizon are the only ones who lock/encrypt bootloaders.

Brandon

WoZzY

The GRD Dev Team
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Htc will see that they can keep beat motto in sales if they leave a open bootloader they would be dumb if they chose to lock the bootloader i am actually going to get the thunderbolt for the reason we have the source code for the kernel

Reaction score
They better make up their minds quick what with all the thunder bricks popping up since the update.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Not to be a skeptic but Motorola said something similar when people complained about their bootloader issue and yet Motorola is still locking them. I would hope they come up with a better solution but ill believe it when I see the next couple of phones they release.

sent from droidforums app

kevcube

Reaction score
Motorola never promised to ship phones with unlocked bootloaders, they simply stated they would provide the tools for you to unlock your own.

kevcube

Reaction score
Not exactly, they said phones will be unlockable where carriers allow it, but all phones will be shipped locked.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

bplewis24

Reaction score
That's a minor distinction as far as I can tell. The Xoom and the Droid 1 were locked, but unlockable (and relockable). As long as they are unlockable, we'll be happy.

Brandon

kevcube

Reaction score
The droid 1 was not locked. The Xoom was only unlockable because it was a google experience device

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
It could also be looked at as they are revising their policy of open bootloaders and are going to locked bootloaders.

I know, right? When did HTC ever have a bootloader policy? They just now started locking down phones this tight within the last few months.

bplewis24

Reaction score
The droid 1 was not locked. The Xoom was only unlockable because it was a google experience device

Again, minor distinction. I don't even know what you're arguing. These are Motorola's words:

It is our intention to enable the unlockable/relockable bootloader currently found on Motorola XOOM across our portfolio of devices starting in late 2011, where carriers and operators will allow it.

Brandon