HTC Evo 3D LOCKED!

EgooEspada

Reaction score
And this is why I keep standing firm to my belief that the Thunderbolt is the last true developer phone where the bootloader is unlockable. With the ability to load different kernels, it is the most like the Original Droid in terms of what made it popular in sheer customization, that we are likely to ever see again. Everything else, while the specs are good, your hands are completely tied in what you can do.

Developer phones are a thing of the past.

The Thunderbolt was locked down similarly; look at the Incredible 2 owners, we got lucky. Also, I want to point out to others saying this is because of carriers, because that's not completely true. Yes with devices like the EVO 3D, Sprint might have played a part, but HTC has made these choices on their own. HTC's unlocked (non carrier) phones are locked down too. So this is their choice, same as Motorola.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
We should like our phones the way the manufacturers and carriers give them to us right....all binged out, with visual voicemail, vcrap, dumbed down processors, 8 million services running in background, etc. Lock em up and see everyone go to apple, vzw doesnt care but htc and google will. Step up your game Google.

Sent from my fascinate

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
And this is why I keep standing firm to my belief that the Thunderbolt is the last true developer phone where the bootloader is unlockable. With the ability to load different kernels, it is the most like the Original Droid in terms of what made it popular in sheer customization, that we are likely to ever see again. Everything else, while the specs are good, your hands are completely tied in what you can do.

Developer phones are a thing of the past.

There's always the Nexus phones. I wonder if we'll ever get one of those on Verizon.

Sent from my Transformer

Xplorer4x4

Reaction score
I kind of find it funny. All the praise htc got for keeping there phones so easy to crack and this happens. Sucks for those who pegged this as there upgrade.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

OP
Malvado

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I kind of find it funny. All the praise htc got for keeping there phones so easy to crack and this happens. Sucks for those who pegged this as there upgrade.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk
lol i was about to say the same thing haha....they spoke too soon saying they were sticking with HTC

quentin-

Reaction score
There's always been a war between the side that encrypts the data and the side that attempts to crack. No one's going to win the war anytime soon, it's called job security.

As a community, we may not have a lot of financial resources at our disposal, but we certainly have people with intelligence to make up for that. It just takes time and the inclination of a lot of people from this community to tackle this. Once more phones goes this route, it will catch the attention of more and more people, and there will be an even bigger effort to regain control of our phones. If not in breaking the code, we will find a way to get what we want. We all know it's coming, but apparently cyanogenmod and their 10000 followers won't join in until they don't have any new phones that will accept custom roms.

aayoo

Reaction score
I might be taking my talents to apple. I really wanted the evo 3d but now that's a no-go and the thunderbolt just isn't enough of an upgrade for another 2 year lock-in.

This was the element that separated android from apple(along with the google services.) I know what its like living in the land of locked bootloaders, and what i've gone through with my droid x, i can't bear to do again.

And if i don't like the transition, i can always sell the iphone for $400 to some sheep on craigslist.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have no direct control over the future just like none of you guys do. For Now I am going to enjoy my tbolt and continue to hope oems provide a suitable solution (ie unlockable bootloaders). Apple have the approach of no jailbreaking but they knows it goes on. Apple tech reps told users to return it to factory before service can be done on it. If the fruit, who is the poster boy of being locked down can make a device that can basically always be recovered and returned to stock via itunes, then surely other oems can. Its simple, if you have an issue or need help then retunt it to out of the box settings before you can get help.

jengas kahn

Reaction score
as time goes on, with less and less phones root-able, won't there be less of a community to speak up and do anything about it?

looks prettttty dim.

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
as posted from htc

If htc is being forced by the carriers to lock their boot loaders than how can they be reviewing it. this is not about carriers or phone companies im betting there is a financial difference on cuts weather its locked down or not. Just a guess as is everyone elses. The LG g2x is only a little over a month old and fully unlocked and tweated by tmobile regarding custom roms and how they look forward to seeing what cyanogen can do with it and even had a twitter convo with cyanogen and gave him a tablet to work on also. So the carrier was definately not mad about the g2x being open. so why is the sensation locked down how can this be tmobiles doing when they suppoprt the rooting and romming of the G2x. only thing i can thinnk of is lg gets a small percentage of profit because its not locked and htc gets a bigger profit line for locking. As i said this is just a thought but in business would be a viable reasoning. only other possibility is its all the phone makers at least on tmobile.?? If people are rooting their phones and bricking them and getting them replaced than this would cost the phone manufacturers and locking it down so this doesnt happen would be financially beneficial for the phone makers. onlly problem with this theory is i keep hearing we are only like less than 5% of the phone users (meaning custom rom and rooters) i dont know that the loss of sales to this 5% would make more money than the maybe 10% of these 5% returning their phones. (hope that makes sense) :)
I keeep seeing people saying its the carriers, where is the proof behind this because i havent seen this stated by any of the carriers and in the case of tmobile and the g2x this assumption just doesnt jive.

keolawills

Reaction score
I read somewhere on here that moto was possibly going to start releasing phones with an unlocked bootloader.

my ANGEL blacked out at 1.35 Ghz

DaWolf85

Reaction score
Surprise, surprise.
Why would anyone be surprised by this after the sensation appeared to be locked and the Incredible 2 actually was locked. I'm just disappointed, is all. Looks like I may be forced into an unwilling relationship with Samsung :icon_eek:

moosez3

Reaction score
I have no direct control over the future just like none of you guys do. For Now I am going to enjoy my tbolt and continue to hope oems provide a suitable solution (ie unlockable bootloaders). Apple have the approach of no jailbreaking but they knows it goes on. Apple tech reps told users to return it to factory before service can be done on it. If the fruit, who is the poster boy of being locked down can make a device that can basically always be recovered and returned to stock via itunes, then surely other oems can. Its simple, if you have an issue or need help then retunt it to out of the box settings before you can get help.

Yeah I bought my tb on opening day, and I have been loving it more and more everyday! I hardly ever even touched 1GB with the Droid, now Im using avg 5GB per month, and with Netfilx finally working on Gingeritis I suspect that will increase as well. btw I hardly ever tether.