HTC May Change Their Mind On BootLoader Policy; We Won't Hold Our Breath

bplewis24

Reaction score
"There has been... | Facebook

"There has been overwhelmingly customer feedback that people want access to open bootloaders on HTC phones. I want you to know that we've listened. Today, I'm confirming we will no longer be locking the bootloaders on our devices. Thanks for your passion, support and patience," Peter Chou, CEO of HTC

No source link to the quote as of yet. We will see if it comes up.

AndroidCentral picked up on it as well: HTC: No more locked bootloaders | Android Central

Brandon

bplewis24

Reaction score
Hopefully this is like a snowball and keeps picking up momentum. First it was Sony Ericsson, which isn't a huge impact because they only sell unlocked phones. Then Moto hinted at some things, and now HTC has come straight out (hopefully) and said no more locked bootloaders. IF that catches Moto's attention and IF it has any impact (however small) on sales, it may force their hand as well.

Either way, this is a positive step.

Brandon

jkhonea

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.oldesouthdesign.com
Carriers, people, carriers. That is where the final piece of this lies. The phone companies can offer unlocked bootloaders all day long but end up giving the carriers the ability to lock them themselves. That is a very real possibility.

kevcube

Reaction score
Verizon tweeted something about how they don't have a problem with unlocked phones on their network, it's mainly GSM networks that don't like unlocking.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums