[HowTo] Root, Deodex, and Theme Droid Froyo 2.2 FRG22D

jdc

Reaction score
Oh yea i forgot to mention I have a droid x with rom manager and busybox installed.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to use this method but am having trouble setting my droid to "PC Mode". I'm running opensuse 11.2 on my laptop and for some reason it doesn't auto-mount usb devices. I see the notification in the top to transfer files to my PC and I can select "Turn on USB storage" but I'm never prompted with this dialog: http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/default/themes/cw_blogs/cache/files/u98/froyo_usb.jpg

Having usb debugging on/off makes no difference. I can maually mount the device on my computer but the doroot.sh script still hangs at "daemon started successfully".

Is there a step I missed?

Droid 1 FRG22D

You will need USB Debugging to be on. USB debugging allows you to connect to your device with adb. You don't need to turn on USB Storage to root. In fact, I recommend that you don't have it on. As far as that menu, I've never seen it. I don't think you'll see that on a stock Droid 1. I'm not even sure what "PC Mode" is. (That image isn't taken from a stock Droid 1.) Just make sure you turn on USB Debugging before starting, and don't bother to turn on USB Storage to root.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
So I'm having the same issue at

su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /system/bin
ln -s /system/bin/busybox cp

Except I get the error:
Link Failed File Exists

I know that I have busybox...

You probably already have either a cp binary or a symbolic link to busybox for cp. If you can type the cp command without getting a "not found" or "permission denied" response, then you can skip creating the symbolic link. I think busybox created it for me when I rooted, but I added the ln command to the script because by default the Droid doesn't have a cp link or binary. The nature of ln ensures that if cp already exists, then it won't fail, and the script should not fail if cp already exists.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
I have a slight problem deodexing my droid x I can get through everything and I use
su stop mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/ cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/ rm /system/app/*.odex rm /system/framework/*.odex mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system reboot
method, but it says can not find file specified or something along those lines and I can not deodex and after that my phone becomes unresponsive so I have to do a battery pull I copied my app_done and frame_done to my sd card, yet it is not working. please help thank you.

Make sure that you've turned off Mass Storage on your phone so that the sdcard is remounted to your device's file system. Think of it like this: you can either have the sdcard accessible by your computer or your phone, but not both at the same time. So if you can still see your sd card on your computer, then your phone can't see it. I think that's the problem, but let me know.

Your phone became unresponsive because of the stop command. You can simply type reboot instead of pulling your battery.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
Doh! I needed to run doroot.sh as root on my pc. Apparently you can set up rules to take care of that but I hadn't done that. Thanks dude, I'm rooted!

Glad to hear that it worked.

icekyoob

Reaction score
When attempting to root a droid 1 I get to this step
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
and mount fails which of course prevents me from going any further - what do I need to do?

mwhartman

Super Moderator/RS
Premium Member
Reaction score
When I rooter, I entered
'mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system' Note the -t yaffs2

I have no idea if it has changed.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
When attempting to root a droid 1 I get to this step
mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
and mount fails which of course prevents me from going any further - what do I need to do?

Reboot your device and start again. It is possible that some program is running and is preventing you from remounting. Also, are you certain that you have superuser access? Do you have a # instead of a $ ?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kaylera1

Reaction score
I'm stuck at: mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
I get a "permission denied" error message

kaylera1

kaylera1

Reaction score
didn't have SU access...tried again and got in. doing the done_frame part tho, it says Write error: No space left on device. don't see how that can be.

phone now stuck on load. doing a nandroid restore with fingers crossed.

kaylera1

JRodHimself

Reaction score
NEW! One-script rooting! (Mac/Linux)

UPDATE 9/29/10: I stumbled upon this little gem today: xda-developers - View Single Post - Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac
And I made some tweaks of my own so it works on Droid 1. (Tested on my wife's previously-stock, now-rooted Droid.) :)

1. All you need to do now is download View attachment 16598 and put the files in your Android SDK 'tools' directory. (The Droid2Root files you need to root are included.)
  2. cd to your 'tools' directory: "cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools"
  3. Run "chmod 755 doroot.sh"
  4. Type "./doroot.sh". Sorry Windows users, this is a bash script -- Linux and Mac only. (Maybe you could run it in cygwin?)

I rooted using this method, which was pretty simple, but if I wanted to unroot for say warranty purposes, how would I do that?

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
NEW! One-script rooting! (Mac/Linux)

UPDATE 9/29/10: I stumbled upon this little gem today: xda-developers - View Single Post - Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac
And I made some tweaks of my own so it works on Droid 1. (Tested on my wife's previously-stock, now-rooted Droid.) :)

1. All you need to do now is download View attachment 16598 and put the files in your Android SDK 'tools' directory. (The Droid2Root files you need to root are included.)
  2. cd to your 'tools' directory: "cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools"
  3. Run "chmod 755 doroot.sh"
  4. Type "./doroot.sh". Sorry Windows users, this is a bash script -- Linux and Mac only. (Maybe you could run it in cygwin?)

I rooted using this method, which was pretty simple, but if I wanted to unroot for say warranty purposes, how would I do that?

Run "./doroot.sh unroot" and the script will run delete the files that it previously pushed to the phone.

sina

Reaction score
Just got to this point in the terminal with the one script rooting on a mac

"adb connection will be reset. restart adb server on desktop and re-login."

what exactly do i need to do here?

Last edited: