[HowTo] Root, Deodex, and Theme Droid Froyo 2.2 FRG22D

Candytoo

Reaction score
Ok, I found out the issue. After I extracted the Droid2Root to my Downloads folder, it created a subfolder Droid2Root under the Droid2Root folder, that's why it didn't recognize the Rage binary. Now I have another issue (sadness), I cannot change the working directory to where I put the Rage binary (cd /data/local/tmp), it says "cd: permission denied". See below:

computer:~ babetrang$ cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/
computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
040388900B01601D device

computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

402 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.013s)
computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb shell
$ 
cd /data/local/tmp

cd: permission denied
$

sbrewster

Reaction score
so I'm assuming my adb isn't working since it's not listing my device.... what do?

AtlasReborn

Reaction score
Problem with root

./adb devices
./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

./adb shell

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

that all goes well after that the next "./adb devices" returns with ((./adb: not found))

Droid X running 2.2

This is my first root so sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Also doing this on Mac OS X 10.6.4 if that matters.

Thanks for the help

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
./adb devices
./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

./adb shell

cd /data/local/tmp

chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

that all goes well after that the next "./adb devices" returns with ((./adb: not found))

Droid X running 2.2

This is my first root so sorry if I'm missing something obvious. Also doing this on Mac OS X 10.6.4 if that matters.

Thanks for the help

I did this on my Mac (Snow Leopard) too. Did it return your to your prompt on your Mac? You should see your normal bash prompt return. It takes a few minutes. If so, just make sure you're still in the tools directory of your Android SDK. (The "not found" is because it's either trying to run adb on your device or because you aren't in the tools directory.)

I should mention I have a Droid 1, not a Droid X. I can't verify that these instructions work on a Droid X, although I believe the Droid2Root binaries are the same for rooting both devices. You might want to find instructions specific to a Droid X. If you deodex, go to the link provided at the top of the page and follow their instructions, because they were dodexing a Droid X.

AtlasReborn

Reaction score
made it past that now when i do the ./adb devices it doesnt list the phone in the list

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
Ok, I found out the issue. After I extracted the Droid2Root to my Downloads folder, it created a subfolder Droid2Root under the Droid2Root folder, that's why it didn't recognize the Rage binary. Now I have another issue (sadness), I cannot change the working directory to where I put the Rage binary (cd /data/local/tmp), it says "cd: permission denied". See below:

computer:~ babetrang$ cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools/
computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb devices
List of devices attached
040388900B01601D device

computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb push ~/Downloads/droid2root/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp

402 KB/s (5392 bytes in 0.013s)
computer:tools babetrang$ ./adb shell
$ 
cd /data/local/tmp

cd: permission denied
$

I'm sorry I've left you hanging for a while. You're not the only one to ask about this problem, so I'm trying to dig for solutions. Obviously, I didn't run into it, so I'm not sure exactly why you don't have permission to cd into the directory. I would try two things:

First, try to chmod the binary and run it by typing the full path: "chmod /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin" then "/data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin". See if that has any luck.

If you still have permission issues, I would try pushing it to /data/local/ instead of /data/local/tmp. That's one of the few places I can push a file and am able to chmod the permissions to executable. Then just cd to /data/local and proceed from there. Hopefully that has better luck.

AtlasReborn

Reaction score
still won't show my device in that list now from the first time i put ./adb devices in it won't show

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
still won't show my device in that list now from the first time i put ./adb devices in it won't show

Try the command "./adb wait-for-device". It might help you out, but if not...

Go into your phone's Application->Development settings and disable then re-enable USB debugging. Playing around with my phone, it went "offline" and wouldn't come back until I did the above.

You might want to try instructions explicitly for the Droid X. For example:
Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac - xda-developers (this looks pretty sweet actually -- completely scripted -- be sure to scroll up )
How to: Root DROID X Running Official Android 2.2 - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog (requires windows).
Motorola Droid X Froyo Root Available Now; Here?s How You Do It [Motorola Droid X with Android 2.2 Can Be Rooted Too] TFTS – Technology, Gadgets & Curiosities (same as first, but simpler instructions maybe)

I hope some of those help. Something I picked from the above links:
If you get stuck, disconnect the phone from your computer, restart it, plug it back in, and rerun the root program! Sometimes, it will take multiple tries.
But as always, I remind you that you try to root at your own risk.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
To everyone having troubles,

I stumbled upon a Mac/Linux script that I was able to modify to work with a Droid 1. It basically does every command for you, so if you're running Mac/Linux and still having trouble with rooting, check it out. You'll find it in the original post within step 1.

Let me know how it works. (I've tested with my wife's unrooted-now-rooted Droid. I also accidentally tested it on my own phone with no ill consequences.) I'm interested to see if it works for those who are having permission problems. Oh, and I've added the bonus that it will create a symbolic link to busybox for cp. No more getting to step 2 and getting stuck halfway through.

R00ST3R

Reaction score
Hi,

When I try to remount the system folder back to read, after deodexing, I get mount: Device or resource busy... I don't want to reboot until I can put this back into readonly permissions.

Using windows and Droidx 2.2 rooted

Thanks

**Edit
Nevermind.. I read that if I just reboot, it puts the system dir back into ro mode..

Worked great with Black Glass...

Last edited:

killsforpie

Reaction score
Hey, I'm trying to use this method but am having trouble setting my droid to "PC Mode". I'm running opensuse 11.2 on my laptop and for some reason it doesn't auto-mount usb devices. I see the notification in the top to transfer files to my PC and I can select "Turn on USB storage" but I'm never prompted with this dialog: http://blogs.computerworld.com/sites/default/themes/cw_blogs/cache/files/u98/froyo_usb.jpg

Having usb debugging on/off makes no difference. I can maually mount the device on my computer but the doroot.sh script still hangs at "daemon started successfully".

Is there a step I missed?

Droid 1 FRG22D

modelstudent101

Reaction score
Uhhhh

So I'm having the same issue at

su
mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system
cd /system/bin
ln -s /system/bin/busybox cp

Except I get the error:
Link Failed File Exists

I know that I have busybox...

killsforpie

Reaction score
Doh! I needed to run doroot.sh as root on my pc. Apparently you can set up rules to take care of that but I hadn't done that. Thanks dude, I'm rooted!

jdc

Reaction score
I have a slight problem deodexing my droid x I can get through everything and I use
su stop mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system cp /sdcard/done_app/* /system/app/ cp /sdcard/done_frame/* /system/framework/ rm /system/app/*.odex rm /system/framework/*.odex mount -o ro,remount /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system reboot
method, but it says can not find file specified or something along those lines and I can not deodex and after that my phone becomes unresponsive so I have to do a battery pull I copied my app_done and frame_done to my sd card, yet it is not working. please help thank you.