somewhat easier guide to root your droid 2

evilsock

Reaction score
i noticed u can cut a few steps out of the original after for whatever reason i got stuck on them as my comp was saying no such file or extension. even though they were there. you still have to use adb shell but not as much.
(insert usual its not my fault if you turn your phone into a paperweight here)
get the files
How to root the Droid 2 - xda-developers
if that link doesnt work they are not far away, pick any other thread and grab em.

extract it make sure its named droid2root.
now check to make sure when you open the droid2root folder there isnt another folder inside named same (happens when u unzip sometimes) as in when u open folder it should go straight to the 4 files inside.
now put the 4 files in the root of your sd card AND inside your C:/android/tools folder u should already have from setting up adb. when you are done with this make sure u delete them.

- Open command prompt
- cd c:/android/tools
- adb devices (to verify the connection)
- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- adb shell
- cd data/local/tmp
- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- let the process run until it returns you to c:/Droid2Root (wait a while. please if u do not get the # after step it says u will repeat the last command. may need to reboot the phone)
- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not see above)
- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- adb push /Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk
- adb push /su /system/bin/su
- adb push /busybox /system/bin/busybox
- adb shell
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox
- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system
- exit
- exit

im pretty sure thats it. hope this is somewhat easier. if i missed something let me know ill edit it, but this is what i did, and it worked.
note some of this is taken from other peoples guides, so im not taking credit for anything, just hoping this helps someone.

zman3001

Reaction score
I found this guide over at XDA developers. I am a brand new Droid user just came from a Blackberry Storm 2 and was used to loading leaked OS's on it. But when I saw the original directions I got scared. I was able to root my new Droid 2 today in about 20 minutes following these directions, VERY helpful.

Hi all. Thanks to all that previously contributed to make the rooting process easier. I'd like to pay it forward a little bit and add some notes to help others figure out how to root their Droid 2 phone. All my additional notes will be in square brackets, “[“ and “]”. Please read my notes before you do the steps! Hope it helps.

I used the instruction and files from this site/thread, post #1.

Here are the directions with my notes in brackets. There is no guarantee to this information. Simply providing it to help others root their phone. If you **** up your Droid2, you **** it up. I can not be held responsible. The process isn't difficult. The instructions were a little vague, though, and that is why I added my notes.

For everyone's information, I an running Windows XP SP3, 32bit.

Edit: I have put the commands in bold so that you know what you need to enter into the command prompt.

= = =

***NOTE: Proceed at your own risk. I and the providers of this code are not responsible for anything you do to your phone!***

Setup:
- Install adb (here) and Motorola drivers for windows(32-bit or 64-bit)
[Installed and did an update for ADB. ADB comes in a .rar file. I extracted it to C:\, ran the set-up file, and had it update. Folder for adb by default was “android-sdk-windows.” I had drivers installed earlier for Motorola when I was setting up EasyTether. They are newer drivers than the link listed above. Didn't need to install them.]

- Download attached archive [Droid2Root.rar, 4 files in it]

- Extract to a directory, I used c:\Droid2Root
[There should be four files. It is easier if you extract these 4 files to the “tools” folder in your adb/sdk folder that you just extracted to C:\. In other words, extract the 4 files to c:\android-sdk-windows\tools]

- Make sure you have USB degugging enabled
[This is under Settings->Applications->Development, check USB debugging]

- Change connection to PC Mode
[When you plug your phone into your computer with USB, there should be a notice in the “window blind.” Select the USB connection detected and choose PC Mode. Phone should disconnect from the computer and reconnect again.]

Process:
- Open command prompt
[Start Menu->Run->cmd.exe]

- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is
[ex. cd c:/android-sdk-windows/tools
Your command line prompt should now say something like:
C:\android-sdk-windows\tools>]

[You should see a device listed.]

[Skip this line]- cd c:/Droid2Root

[These next 4 steps, after entering each one, you'll see an amount of data transferred.]
- adb push Superuser.apk /sdcard/Superuser.apk

- adb push su /sdcard/su

- adb push busybox /sdcard/busybox

- adb push rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin /data/local/tmp/rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- adb shell
[The command line should now start with a “$” instead of c:\]

- cd data/local/tmp
[after typing in this next command, it won't really say anything, it'll just spit back out your command. This is normal.
ex.

$ cd data/local/tmp
cd data/local/tmp

It will be like this for the cd command and the chmod(next) command.]

- chmod 0755 rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin

- ./rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin
[Type this exactly like it is.]

- let the process run until it 'kicks' you out (may take a minute or two)
[This actually took me awhile before the program kicked me out. Go do something productive for 5 minutes then come back. I actually washed dishes and cleaned up my room while I waited. You'll know when it is done when you it'll kick you back to the DOS command. It'll look something like this:
c:\android-sdk-windows\tools>]

[Skip this.]- cd c:/wherever-your-sdk-tools-folder-is

- adb shell (you should now have a # prompt, if not return to ./rage step above)

[All these next steps, make sure you type them as is here. The command line prompt is now # like stated in the step above. The commands will act like the “$” commands above where you enter it, and it'll spit you the command back out.]

- mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

- cp /sdcard/Superuser.apk /system/app/Superuser.apk

- cp /sdcard/su /system/bin/su

- cp /sdcard/busybox /system/bin/busybox

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/su

- chmod 4755 /system/bin/busybox

- mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mmcblk1p21 /system

- exit [This one will exit you out of adb. Command line now starts with C:\]

- exit [This one will exit you out of MS-DOS/Command prompt.]

And that's it! Pretty easy!

sharkbng

Reaction score
After ive done everything to the point where i type in chmod 4755 /system/bin/su it says it cant find the file. So i cant go on to the last couple steps. I have the ninja root thing on my droid but my droid says it isnt rooted.

any help?

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
After ive done everything to the point where i type in chmod 4755 /system/bin/su it says it cant find the file. So i cant go on to the last couple steps. I have the ninja root thing on my droid but my droid says it isnt rooted.

?

when u did the adb push commands, did a line come up saying the ammount of data transfered?

also make sure u type a space when there is a space, the space's are very important

sharkbng

Reaction score
Yup everytime i did the commands, a line popped up about data

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
try this
open command prompt
-adb shell
-adb devices

then try again just to make sure ur in adb
then let me know

edit, do u have the # sign when u type adb shell?

sharkbng

Reaction score
Could you get on aim? Would make chatting with you easier.
$ adb devices
adb devices
adb: permission denied
didnt say that when i originally typed that.

Nope didnt have the #. Sorry im kinda new to all this. What I just did was opened command prompt as admin and typed cd c:/(file location) came up with $ then i typed adb devices

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
at work now, can later, read post #2, try it.
start all over, it wont mess anything up. just when ur rooted we can clean ur cache and dalvik cache and ull be fine. u dont need to put the files in ur sd card and android tools folder again obviously.
let me know what happens.

ahh just saw something. make sure u wait after the step that starts - ./ it sounds like u didnt wait long enough, this time wait a few mins

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, since so far everything to root is not only extremely complicated (compared to rooting a Droid) you can't even avoid using a computer.

And if you have a Mac, heavens forbid, what do you do then?

OP
evilsock

evilsock

Reaction score
So, since so far everything to root is not only extremely complicated (compared to rooting a Droid) you can't even avoid using a computer.

i think the mac way has less commands, i can find it if u like, and since i am savy with a mac i may be able to make it easier too

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

i think the mac way has less commands, i can find it if u like, and since i am savy with a mac i may be able to make it easier too

Now that would be cool!!!:icon_ banana::icon_ banana::icon_ banana: