[HowTo] Root, Deodex, and Theme Droid Froyo 2.2 FRG22D

sina

Reaction score
and one more question if you dont mind.

What exactly is PC mode? when i select USB connected from the notification bar the only option i have is to toggle USB storage on/off. everyone is talking about pc mode, even in the terminal when running the one script rooting it says make sure you are in pc mode. i dont appear to have a pc mode.

azterus54

Reaction score
problems with reboot

ok so i enter the cmd commands and i get all the way to reboot. The phone turns off and when it begins the cycle it gets stuck at the M screen. I have to do a battery pull and restore using clockwork.

Project37

Reaction score
To everyone having troubles,

I stumbled upon a Mac/Linux script that I was able to modify to work with a Droid 1. It basically does every command for you, so if you're running Mac/Linux and still having trouble with rooting, check it out. You'll find it in the original post within step 1.

Let me know how it works. (I've tested with my wife's unrooted-now-rooted Droid. I also accidentally tested it on my own phone with no ill consequences.) I'm interested to see if it works for those who are having permission problems. Oh, and I've added the bonus that it will create a symbolic link to busybox for cp. No more getting to step 2 and getting stuck halfway through.

I'd gone from CM6 to stock last week and then made the mistake of accepting the OTA update on my Droid 1. Don't have access to a Windows or Linux box, so I was really happy to find this post. Worked great for me - thanks!

stevedub40

Reaction score
One little bit of advice for anyone having trouble, especially with entering the shell commands to copy the done_app and done_frame and there on, what I recommend is booting into recovery. From there you can mount the system and sd card, and then finish your shell commands.

This worked for me because for some reason, I had a really hard time copying the files over and having the sd card read. This makes the phone "stopped"(so you can avoid the com.nuance.android blahblah pop-up force close box) and make the files available to copy over, and to remove the deodexed files.

Not sure why, but PC mode does not really work on my phone, and never has. USB mass storage allows me to shell, but I cannot access SD card. The charge setting usually works for me, as it is the only one where USB debugging comes up.

I hope this helps someone out, as I had a really hard time getting this all to work properly, but am so glad that I finally did get it to work.

watsonism

Reaction score
just did the mac root, but got this message in my terminal:

"Disabling recovery-from-boot.p

Remounting system as RO

ERROR 28: Failed to move (disable) recovery-from-boot.p.

Congratulations, you should now be rooted, but with errors.

Enter exit once to exit terminal."

what should i do?

cvo515

Reaction score
Help

Originally Posted by JRodHimself
NEW! One-script rooting! (Mac/Linux)

UPDATE 9/29/10: I stumbled upon this little gem today: xda-developers - View Single Post - Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac
And I made some tweaks of my own so it works on Droid 1. (Tested on my wife's previously-stock, now-rooted Droid.)
All you need to do now is download Attachment 16598 and put the files in your Android SDK 'tools' directory. (The Droid2Root files you need to root are included.)
cd to your 'tools' directory: "cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools"
Run "chmod 755 doroot.sh"
Type "./doroot.sh". Sorry Windows users, this is a bash script -- Linux and Mac only. (Maybe you could run it in cygwin?)

When I go to Downloads/android sdk/tools I do not see the chmod 755 doroot.sh file in there. I am new to this and a step by step would help. I do not know where to type the ./doroot.sh either. Thanks

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
I apologize

I apologize to those who have posted asking for help. I don't know why, but I haven't been getting emails when someone posts something new. I will read through the old posts tonight and try and respond to as many of you as I can.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
just did the mac root, but got this message in my terminal:
"Disabling recovery-from-boot.p
Remounting system as RO
ERROR 28: Failed to move (disable) recovery-from-boot.p.
Congratulations, you should now be rooted, but with errors.
Enter exit once to exit terminal."
what should i do?

You're probably fine actually. If that command fails (which is the last of all the commands for rooting), then it simply couldn't rename the file, which meant it probably wasn't there and shouldn't cause you a problem. If you haven't had any problems so far, you're probably in the clear.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
Originally Posted by JRodHimself
NEW! One-script rooting! (Mac/Linux)

UPDATE 9/29/10: I stumbled upon this little gem today: xda-developers - View Single Post - Easier 1-2-3 Droid 2 Root for Windows / Linux / Mac
And I made some tweaks of my own so it works on Droid 1. (Tested on my wife's previously-stock, now-rooted Droid.)
All you need to do now is download doroot.zip and put the files in your Android SDK 'tools' directory. (The Droid2Root files you need to root are included.)
cd to your 'tools' directory: "cd ~/Downloads/android-sdk-mac_x86/tools"
Run "chmod 755 doroot.sh"
Type "./doroot.sh". Sorry Windows users, this is a bash script -- Linux and Mac only. (Maybe you could run it in cygwin?)

When I go to Downloads/android sdk/tools I do not see the chmod 755 doroot.sh file in there. I am new to this and a step by step would help. I do not know where to type the ./doroot.sh either. Thanks

Well, you've got your SDK downloaded. That was step 1.
Step 2 is to download doroot.zip (above).
Step 3: unzip the file.
Step 4: copy the files (probably in a folder that was created) into the tools directory. doroot.sh will be among them.
Step 5: make doroot.sh executable (might already be, but "chmod +x doroot.sh" will do the trick).
Step 6: type "./doroot.sh".
Step 7: sit back and watch the magic happen.

Of course, that's just the computer side. With your phone: start with a clean reboot. Go into your Settings->Applications->Development and turn on debug mode. Connect to your computer with the USB cable. Do not turn on USB Mass Storage. Now it's ready for you to type doroot.sh into your computer terminal.

Happy rooting!

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
and one more question if you dont mind.

What exactly is PC mode? when i select USB connected from the notification bar the only option i have is to toggle USB storage on/off. everyone is talking about pc mode, even in the terminal when running the one script rooting it says make sure you are in pc mode. i dont appear to have a pc mode.

I know sina already solved this issue, but thought I'd respond for future rooters:

PC Mode does not exist on the Droid. Maybe on the Droid X or Droid 2 (for which the script was originally created) has PC Mode. That explains why it's in the script. I really should have removed it, and might right now.

The best way to ensure that the script succeeds is to start from a clean reboot, make sure debug mode is on (Settings->Applications->Development), and have nothing else running. Oh, and importantly: don't turn on USB Mass Storage mode for rooting. (If your SD card is mounted to your computer, then you've enabled it. Turn it off and you'll be fine.)

I hope that answers a few questions for those who might have them.

OP
P

Pir8Bob

Reaction score
ok so i enter the cmd commands and i get all the way to reboot. The phone turns off and when it begins the cycle it gets stuck at the M screen. I have to do a battery pull and restore using clockwork.

What step are you on? Are you rooting or deodexing? I'm guessing deodexing because you have ClockworkMod Recovery, requiring root. Or are you trying theming?

I'd love to try and help, but I need a bit more detail.

loganhaskew

Reaction score
Help Please.

I have rooted successfully, but I had some trouble deodexing. When I open command prompt to the right directory and type "adb shell" a message appears that says "adb is not recognized as an internal or external command."

I have unmounted the sd card and changed into pc mode for the usb connection.